the babysitter

BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
edited October 26, 2006 in People
my brother in-laws 8lb dog watches over his newborn 5lb son. Would appreciate and all C & C. Thanks
for looking

The revised shot with additional contrast is shown first, does this look better? I have not learned or attained an eye for the B & W conversion so your comments will help greatly. I never know when it is dark enough or too dark, etc.
105023256-L.jpg
104932636-L.jpg

Comments

• illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2006
    I'm really liking the shot, the crop works really well. I do suggest adding a tad bit more contrast to it.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    I think the subject of the photo and the moment is adorable. The shot is a little blurry to me though, and has some grain to it (might be the monitor I'm looking at it with). Was this intentional? The shot also seems a bit dark to me, I might have bumped up the exposure a bit, and I agree with the comments above about the contrast. I also would have tried to get more of the dog in the shot.

Hope that helps.
    My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Thanks for looking,

The blur was not on purpose...I don't think I have ever gotten a truly crisp shot of anything...of of course I rarley use my tripod which could help. Dramatapix, you indicated that the shot was a little dark...when I adjusted the contrast it got darker (top picture as opposed to the bottom picture) how can I make it lighter?

As far as the dog being cropped out, the dag was laying towards the back of the sofa and facing out towards the baby. The baby's mother was sitting on the sofa on the opposite side of the baby, I had to crop to the current composition due to mothers perogative.

By the way...the baby is only a week old and was born 4 weeks early, it weighs only 5 lbs and the dog, which I have always called a rat because it is so small almost doubles the size of the baby at 8lbs.

Thanks for commenting.
  • Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Thanks for looking,

The blur was not on purpose...I don't think I have ever gotten a truly crisp shot of anything...of of course I rarley use my tripod which could help. Dramatapix, you indicated that the shot was a little dark...when I adjusted the contrast it got darker (top picture as opposed to the bottom picture) how can I make it lighter?

As far as the dog being cropped out, the dag was laying towards the back of the sofa and facing out towards the baby. The baby's mother was sitting on the sofa on the opposite side of the baby, I had to crop to the current composition due to mothers perogative.

By the way...the baby is only a week old and was born 4 weeks early, it weighs only 5 lbs and the dog, which I have always called a rat because it is so small almost doubles the size of the baby at 8lbs.

Thanks for commenting.

I find that anytime I bump the contrast, I always have to adjust the exposure or brightness of the image as well. I use a couple of different applications that allow me to do this.

I shoot everything in RAW mode so post processing is easier and I have more options. Lately I use Aperture by Apple more than anything, but Lightroom by Adobe is also a great program with a lot of features.

You can also adjust the brightness/contrast etc in Adobo PS or other editing applications.

Totally understand now why you cropped the dog where you did.

What is the exif info for this picture. You shouldn't need a tripod for a shot like this. If you use a shutter speed, aperture and correct lighting you can get really sharp images. It also will depend on what focus mode you are using as well.

Brett
    My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    This is really sweet!!! You should post it in the "Dog-a-Day" thread.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=6947