Options

Rural Scenes

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
edited February 11, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
I saw this barn yesterday.... Notice the snow coming off the right side of the roof - brrr - cold

2338679-L.jpg
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2004
    Nice scene. thumb.gif I like dilapidated farm buildings, lots of character.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Nice scene. thumb.gif I like dilapidated farm buildings, lots of character.
    Here is the other side for you wxwax.....
    2338680-L.jpg

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2004
    I love your photos, pathfinder. You're an inspiration. thumb.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2004
    fish wrote:
    I love your photos, pathfinder. You're an inspiration. thumb.gif
    Thank you but I look at the pictures on some of the older photo web sites and feel like a real noobie -
    I took this one Sunday afternoon - kind of a nice rural scene - it is still cold for you Californians though......2324822-L.jpg

I have also ran this through PS as a watercolor - better or worse?

2324819-L.jpg

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2004
    I think I have seen that bridge...

Mid western Indiana, just south west of Indianapolis? Is there an old mill beside it?
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2004
    clap.gif I really like the first version of the covered bridge. A little hot I'm guessing (I have lousy monitors everywhere) but that's the best perpective on a covered bridge I can remember seeing.

BTW, Pathfinder, you wouldn't find putting more info in yer profile, would you? I'm curious about yer gear and where yer shooting. Thanks.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    clap.gif I really like the first version of the covered bridge. A little hot I'm guessing (I have lousy monitors everywhere) but that's the best perpective on a covered bridge I can remember seeing.

BTW, Pathfinder, you wouldn't find putting more info in yer profile, would you? I'm curious about yer gear and where yer shooting. Thanks.
    Thank you. By a little hot - you mean color too saturated? It was an overcast day and there was some moisture in the air from the falls - And I like saturated colors also.
    My monitor at home is a Sharp 1810 that I got with a Gateway P4 a couple of years ago and has a nice warm tone - not blue like some of them. I know what you mean about how pictures look so different on different monitors. My monitor at work hss a very shallow color gamut.
    My pictures on smugmug are saved in Adobe color space - they might look better in sRGB on the Web, but I am more interested in having them available in Adobe RGB - that is my choice....

I like the straight image better than the watercolored one too as a small web image - but as a large print I do like the water color effect.

I will try to work on my profile - I have thought about filling out some stuff in the introduction section on RawFiles.

• Options
    edited February 9, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    I think I have seen that bridge...

Mid western Indiana, just south west of Indianapolis? Is there an old mill beside it?
    That is the Bridgeton bridge right next to the Old Bridgeton Mill - about 5 or 10 miles north of Clinton Indiana - This is the mill you are referring to.

1616429-L.jpg

And here is another view of the mill

704484-L-1.jpg

• Options
    edited February 10, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Thank you. By a little hot - you mean color too saturated?
    By hot I meant to say that some of the whites might be overexposed. But looking at your shot on a different monitor, I think that's not so. Sorry about that. 11doh.gif One of the reasons I asked about your profile is that I wonder what the shot might look like on a longer exposure, so that the water has that liquid mercury feel to it.
    Sid.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited February 10, 2004
    Hey Waxy, don't you work in TV? You should get one of the engineers
    to come fix your monitor :)

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2004
    ian408 wrote:

Ian

Why? So he can watch www.soapnet.com? rolleyes1.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2004
    ian408 wrote:

Ian
    Man. I'm lucky if I can get the printer access I need.... actually, I'm lucky if I get a human being at the other end, instead of their recorded message. Seems like IT is the place that gets whacked every time they pare down the budget.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    By hot I meant to say that some of the whites might be overexposed. But looking at your shot on a different monitor, I think that's not so. Sorry about that. 11doh.gif One of the reasons I asked about your profile is that I wonder what the shot might look like on a longer exposure, so that the water has that liquid mercury feel to it.
    I actually thought about doing a longer exposure - I had my tripod with me - but it was so windy and cold that I wimped out and just shot it hand-held. And i was getting a little misted right at the waters edge.

I understand your comment about burnt-out highlights - It looks like that on my monitor at work too - just too little contrast range - This is a Septre 19 inch Sam's special - good for text, but not so hot for images - I really can see better on the monitor at home - I think the snow is about 250,250,250 so it is at the upper edge of RGB space but I don't think it is all blown out - may be in some spots tho on top of the roof - but that was ok with the image overall I thought.
    In terms of equipment the bridge at Bridgeton was shot with a D10 and a 17-40 L handheld. I get lazy sometimes too.

• Options
    edited February 11, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I actually thought about doing a longer exposure - I had my tripod with me - but it was so windy and cold that I wimped out and just shot it hand-held. And i was getting a little misted right at the waters edge.

I understand your comment about burnt-out highlights - It looks like that on my monitor at work too - just too little contrast range - This is a Septre 19 inch Sam's special - good for text, but not so hot for images - I really can see better on the monitor at home - I think the snow is about 250,250,250 so it is at the upper edge of RGB space but I don't think it is all blown out - may be in some spots tho on top of the roof - but that was ok with the image overall I thought.
    In terms of equipment the bridge at Bridgeton was shot with a D10 and a 17-40 L handheld. I get lazy sometimes too.

Out the window of a bridge with more almost burned out snow -

2355238-L.jpg

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited February 11, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Out the window of a bridge with more almost burned out snow -

2355238-L.jpg
    I like this one. Reminds me of the Watch Tower in Grand Canyon. Don't know
    why but it does.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?