104959967-L.jpg

Sorry- Here it is. :beer
Thanks!
Jeff

flickr

Comments

• Jeff FillmoreJeff Fillmore Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    That bad huh? 77 views and not even an 'it sucks' speaks volumes I guess. Thanks anyway.
    Thanks!
    Jeff

flickr

• Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    gdad wrote:
    That bad huh? 77 views and not even an 'it sucks' speaks volumes I guess. Thanks anyway.

This is a perplexing issue on this forum. In the past I have posted things, and as any artist, have solicited feedback. I see others on the forum getting feedback on almost every post they make. I can't imagine that my images are that great that they deserve no feedback. Come on folks... stroke our egos will ya! :)

Come on GDad... repost and I'll say something about it. ;)
    My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    I don't understand why people pull pictures after x amount of "views."

Leave it up. Give us all a chance.
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    There are 22 pages x15 threads = 300+ threads in the "people" forum alone that never got any replies. Don't be thin skinned, it doesn't mean anything.

The forum has gotten so big that it's hard to keep up with all the posts. A simple "bump" post to get it back on the top page can be all it takes to get a reply or two.

Also remember that most folks just lurk here and don't reply (although they should!).
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    I know how gdad feels, but I understand what everyone else is saying also. What I seem to notice is that great shots get lots of oooohhs & aaahhhs ( and rightly they should), but less that spectacular shots get little or no response. I understood the purpose of the board was to post picture and get constructive criticism of your picture. I don't necessarliy see that happening. I am relatively new to photography (heck I'm real new to photography) and I don't have a great eye for what is good or bad about a particular picture. I think that you will find an awful lot of people with the same lack of artistic and or technical knowledge. I know I am quilty of exactly what I just described...I can always ooooh & aaaahh, but I rarely will tell someone what is wrong with their picture, basically because I don't freaking know (sorry gdad).

As a matter of record, I posted a shot at about the same time as the one gdad posted, I got 1 response regarding contrast. I adjusted the shot and specifically asked for comments on the adjusted contrast. I got no replies. (by the way my post is on page 2 "the baby sitter). But to be honest if I probabaly would not have commented had it been someone elses post.

I was going to post my shot on the whipping post, but I read the rules for taking a whipping and didn't feel the shot qualified. I am here to try and learn about photography from a what appears to be a large group of very talented and knowledgable group of people. I am sure that there are many more like me on this board.

Thanks for listening
  • my3peasmy3peas Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    I know how gdad feels, but I understand what everyone else is saying also. What I seem to notice is that great shots get lots of oooohhs & aaahhhs ( and rightly they should), but less that spectacular shots get little or no response. I understood the purpose of the board was to post picture and get constructive criticism of your picture. I don't necessarliy see that happening. I am relatively new to photography (heck I'm real new to photography) and I don't have a great eye for what is good or bad about a particular picture. I think that you will find an awful lot of people with the same lack of artistic and or technical knowledge. I know I am quilty of exactly what I just described...I can always ooooh & aaaahh, but I rarely will tell someone what is wrong with their picture, basically because I don't freaking know (sorry gdad).

As a matter of record, I posted a shot at about the same time as the one gdad posted, I got 1 response regarding contrast. I adjusted the shot and specifically asked for comments on the adjusted contrast. I got no replies. (by the way my post is on page 2 "the baby sitter). But to be honest if I probabaly would not have commented had it been someone elses post.

I was going to post my shot on the whipping post, but I read the rules for taking a whipping and didn't feel the shot qualified. I am here to try and learn about photography from a what appears to be a large group of very talented and knowledgable group of people. I am sure that there are many more like me on this board.

Thanks for listening

I second that..I just don't feel that I'm qualified enough to make comment :) Though, I do learn from others' comments on other people's
    photos, which helps immensely!
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    ...I understood the purpose of the board was to post picture and get constructive criticism of your picture. I don't necessarliy see that happening.

I'm not sure that's the case. I think of this a nice, friendly place to share shots and learn from others - both their shots and their comments. To be sure there is an ego boost whenever you get lots of reaction to a thread, but that shouldn't be the reason for posting.

I've seen improvement in my skills since I've been here, and that's what I wanted in the first place.

My 2 cents -
  • Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    I agree with all of you.....of course I don't like to give negative feedback for anyone......so I will just tell most what I like about the photo!

I too have learned quite a lot form this wonderful world of DGrin, and it took a lot for me to start asking questions and posting pics.....but as you can see I have over 300 posts, so I got over that!! rolleyes1.gif

Just be patient......just remember "no news (posts) is good news (posts)!!
    Also too.....there are a lot more guests on here that can look, but can not post.

Keep the pics coming!!

Heather
  • vermentonvermenton Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    I agree with all of you.....of course I don't like to give negative feedback for anyone......so I will just tell most what I like about the photo!

I too have learned quite a lot form this wonderful world of DGrin, and it took a lot for me to start asking questions and posting pics.....but as you can see I have over 300 posts, so I got over that!! rolleyes1.gif

Just be patient......just remember "no news (posts) is good news (posts)!!
    Also too.....there are a lot more guests on here that can look, but can not post.

Keep the pics coming!!

Heather

I think some of us had been a menber in the the site for quite some time, I'm the same I posted and don't get much feedback for my photo but i see some other memebr getting a lot of feeback for their work. If oyu don't like some of hte photography just sayi it but i least offer the reason why you don't like, just don't let the person hanging.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 25, 2006
    jeff et al-

re no responses-

think about it from the other side (at least my opinion)-

1) I have not really been able to get on here, in depth, since sunday due to work, and I'll have two, three, four days at a time like that-

2) sometimes when I do a c&c I get a crappy response when all I'm doing is trying to help, or even moreso, no response at all to my c&c when it's asked for, and I'm thinking, wtf?-

3) I sometimes am tentative to respond because I either can't pinpoint anything specific or I don't want to say something and look like a real dumbass (and if I've had my ambien at night that happens all too often)-

so, solutions?-

1) don't give up; keep the post up longer and if it goes too long without a response, bump it with another request-

2) pm someone (or someones) and ask for a critique- I have done this in the past when I think of a member that really knows his stuff, and they responded posthaste-

3) anybody else have any ideas please chime in-

4) it would be nice to hear from some of the elite on the forum as to what their thoughts are; they probably have addressed this several times but there is always a group of newer members that can and need to be addressed on more than just this item from those in the know-

overall, this is a very friendly forum with a lot of people willing to help; give them a chance-

thanks-
  • Jeff FillmoreJeff Fillmore Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Hey George- no worry’s. Trust me- I’m not giving up just yet. I agree this is a friendly forum and I also know I have not been posting here very long. I get a little frustrated with these forums once in a while. It’s kind of interesting when I will post the same shot on a few forums and get way different comments.

I know when I’m browsing I try to offer some feedback but sometimes you look at things and go- wtf- I have no idea what to say there- what was he trying to take a picture of anyway? No biggie- I’ll just keep plugging away at it.

Still working on the Gorman B&W and getting kind of mixed results. Here’s the shot if anyone still wants to take a peek. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1005&thread=20588545

I also reworked the last one here- at the bottom of the page http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=44853&page=2 but I think that thread had run its course.
    Thanks!
    Jeff

flickr

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    Jeff I'm on this forum every day (usually several times) and I had not run across your post before you deleted your shot. Keep in mind that at most times only about 20 percent or less of the viewers are members and not all members post comments. So if you had around 60 viewers only about 15 would have been members. It can take several days to really get some "action" on a shot. Also, I think a lot of people are intimidated about making comments about shots that are obviously the photographer's children. Anyway, I checked out your shot. You asked about the crop. Bear in mind I am far from an expert here, in fact, cropping is not one of my strong points!!! I found the crop to be a little bit lacking somehow. It might just be the pose, I'm not really sure. I think I would crop a little more off the left side, even taking part of the bow if needed. It just appears unbalanced to my eye. The toned finish is nice, I personally like toned shots a little more "high-key" with more contrast, but that is a personal preference. With children, I like a hint of softness, which emphasizes the highlights and shadows. Not everyone has the best skin/hair coloring for toned shots. I think her skin looks a little uneven in this shot. I really have a feeling I would like the color version. Kids have such pretty coloring! Don't know if this helps you or not, just my 2 cents worth!!! :D
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    Sent you an e-mail!
    Shame on all of you! :D

I have felt the same and have done a little calculation.

On average the posts are about 10% of the times viewed- includes your thank you's and replies.

Aaron

Words to dgrin by:
    "If you post it they will come"

Words to live by:
    "Don't give up, don't ever give up" Jimmy V.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Shame on all of you! :D

I have felt the same and have done a little calculation.

On average the posts are about 10% of the times viewed- includes your thank you's and replies.

Aaron

Words to dgrin by:
    "If you post it they will come"

Words to live by:
    "Don't give up, don't ever give up" Jimmy V.

Adding my critique now

I do not like the downward angle which you took the picture at. The bottom crop is fine but I think you chopped too much off the hat at the top. I would like to see the brim as the top border.
    I would bring the right in all the way to her hair thereby keeping the curved lines of the hat's brim but eliminating alot of dead space on that side. It would also change her from being so centered in the frame.
    I really like the light in her eyes, the detail of her hair, and the bow on the left side of the picture.

Aaron
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 26, 2006
    Some forums see a lot of new posts causing older ones to make page 2 pretty quickly. Not a lot of people go beyond page 1. So if a shot doesn't get eyeballs right away it could end up on page 2.

Sometimes, you gotta give to get. If you are participating in the forum by giving others your input, that should go a long way toward encouraging others to participate too.

I came in looking for your shot only to find a "removed". I'm sorry to see
    you removed it.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited October 26, 2006
    Nice capture gdad, even if I did have to jump through hoops to see it.

I'm not sold on all these 20 step B&W conversion actions. They seem to complicate things more than they need to be. I think each one might work on some images but none work for every image. I never use any of them. I do my conversion in RAW (Lightroom). I set my white balance in color then go grayscale and dial in the exposure from there. I then touch up the curves and add a warming or sepia filter in PS. I think you can control the B&W effect for each photo better that way.

Heck, maybe my conversions suck and I'm totally wrong.
    edited October 26, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Nice capture gdad, even if I did have to jump through hoops to see it.

I'm not sold on all these 20 step B&W conversion actions. They seem to complicate things more than they need to be. I think each one might work on some images but none work for every image. I never use any of them. I do my conversion in RAW (Lightroom). I set my white balance in color then go grayscale and dial in the exposure from there. I then touch up the curves and add a warming or sepia filter in PS. I think you can control the B&W effect for each photo better that way.

Heck, maybe my conversions suck and I'm totally wrong.

no, your conversions don't suck-

your pics are a journalistic style whereas when I'm working on a portrait or landcape I like a more 'subtle' look, and that takes a little more manipulation to get to-

and your right about using different conversion techniques for different types and styles and moods of photos-

I hope this makes sense-

at least, my thoughts-
    edited October 26, 2006
    my take-

105501092-L.jpg