edited October 26, 2006
  • Options
    judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    Two very nice scenes
    Good job

Fred

Thanks Fred for your comments. I'm workin' hard on this film photography thing. It's really addictive! wings.gif
    I'm still workin' with a fixed contrast grade in mind in order to understand all different aspects of printing, but today during lunch brake I tried some dodgin and burnin' (plus contrast control) on a shot and I really see the benefit of it.
    Thanks again for your inputs.
    Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
    That saved a wretch like me!
    I once was lost, but now am found;
    Was blind, but now I see.

http://judah.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    vermentonvermenton Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    judah wrote:
    Thanks Fred for your comments. I'm workin' hard on this film photography thing. It's really addictive! wings.gif
    I'm still workin' with a fixed contrast grade in mind in order to understand all different aspects of printing, but today during lunch brake I tried some dodgin and burnin' (plus contrast control) on a shot and I really see the benefit of it.
    Thanks again for your inputs.

I like the second photo better, just reminde me of my home town a lot, the only thing i could say it's a little too dark in the back street.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    vermenton wrote:
    I like the second photo better, just reminde me of my home town a lot, the only thing i could say it's a little too dark in the back street.
    Thanks Vermenton, don't want to sound snotty but in real life this print shows much more details in the shadows. My scanner is doin' a very poor job. I'm still tryin to understand if there's a way to improve my scans or if I need a better one. I tried adjusting some curves but film reacts very differently and a lot of rubbish gets in the way as soon as you pump the highlights or work on the shadow. In the second shot, on the left wall there are two doors that I can clearly see on the print but couldn't get them out of the scanner. Any advice?

• Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    judah wrote:
    Thanks Vermenton, don't want to sound snotty but in real life this print shows much more details in the shadows. My scanner is doin' a very poor job. I'm still tryin to understand if there's a way to improve my scans or if I need a better one. I tried adjusting some curves but film reacts very differently and a lot of rubbish gets in the way as soon as you pump the highlights or work on the shadow. In the second shot, on the left wall there are two doors that I can clearly see on the print but couldn't get them out of the scanner. Any advice?

there is something in photoshop called adjsuting Black&white tone, which help with the contrast and brightness of the picture, I odn't think it's easy to work with it still try to understand the boundaries of the adjustment to be made
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    vermenton wrote:
    there is something in photoshop called adjsuting Black&white tone, which help with the contrast and brightness of the picture, I odn't think it's easy to work with it still try to understand the boundaries of the adjustment to be made

Hi Vermenton, no PS here, sorry. I use Picasa for some small editing and resizing. I looked again at the print last night and I think I'll follow your suggestion and print it a bit lighter with maybe half a grade of contrast more.

• Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    I really like the 2nd one. It has great composition the way you get swallowed up the middle there. It has a great spread of tones as well, but it may just be my personal taste, but I feel perhaps you could experiment with bumping up the contrast a 1/2 a grade maybe.

Looks like you are having fun in the darkroom by the way. I haven't been in one for almost 12 months and I miss it so dearly! Good to see there are still some of us film purists left huh?rolleyes1.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    rahmonster wrote:
    I really like the 2nd one. It has great composition the way you get swallowed up the middle there. It has a great spread of tones as well, but it may just be my personal taste, but I feel perhaps you could experiment with bumping up the contrast a 1/2 a grade maybe.

Looks like you are having fun in the darkroom by the way. I haven't been in one for almost 12 months and I miss it so dearly! Good to see there are still some of us film purists left huh?rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Rah for all your comments on my shots (in other threads too). Very much appreciated. I'll follow your suggestion and experiment a bit (the one you suggest in the other thread, to burn a couple second more with a harder filter really ticks me). It really is a lot of fun. I'm no film purist, I understand that digital made things heasier for a much broader audience in the photography field, it's just a matter of how you embrace this hobby. I've been involved in music for some years (I'm an audio engineer) and used both digital and analog medium for recording. It really comes down to what you want from your shots and what you're more comfortable with. Maybe digital is a bit more easier (maybe....), you don't need no darkroom, acids, enlarger, trays, accessories and everything but film photography perfectly fit my bill and I'm happy with it. Right now my rate of good photos out of a roll (36) is around 4, sometimes 5, and there plenty to experiment on those "good" shots. I developed a dozen films so far and after setting up my print corner (a couple weeks ago) I've yet to take the camera out of the bag! Printing is such a relaxing and enjoyable job..... :D

• Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    Yes I kow...I was only joking on the purist comment. I have pretty much turned fully digital now, and I love working in PS and all other aspects of the digital world. I just miss spending time in the darkroom. Like you I found it relaxing and not time consuming at all. Some people hate it, others like us feel very comfortable in there. As I have now finished my study I no longer have access to it. And I'm not prepared to spend the money in building one now. I have enjoyed looking at your prints by the way....And keep experimenting:D

• Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    rahmonster wrote:
    Yes I kow...I was only joking on the purist comment. I have pretty much turned fully digital now, and I love working in PS and all other aspects of the digital world. I just miss spending time in the darkroom. Like you I found it relaxing and not time consuming at all. Some people hate it, others like us feel very comfortable in there. As I have now finished my study I no longer have access to it. And I'm not prepared to spend the money in building one now. I have enjoyed looking at your prints by the way....And keep experimenting:D

You don't need lots of money to set up a darkroom.... (:bs)

:D

• Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    judah wrote:

r u a mac or PC user?
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    judah wrote:

Its not that it's alot of money. I currently don't own my home, have my 2nd baby on the way, need a new car and would rather invest in a good DSLR at this point. I didn't mean it was alot I just meant I don't want to.

• Options
    edited October 28, 2006
    vermenton wrote:
    r u a mac or PC user?

Mostly Mac. Why?

• Options
    edited October 28, 2006
    rahmonster wrote:
    Its not that it's alot of money. I currently don't own my home, have my 2nd baby on the way, need a new car and would rather invest in a good DSLR at this point. I didn't mean it was alot I just meant I don't want to.

I know Rah, was kidding. I'm still paying my home (still got 4 years to go), my 2nd baby is now 2 months old, next week I'm gonna buy a car and when it was time to buy my first DSLR I decided to go with film (it was just pure coincidence and luck). I understand your point of view. In fact a complete darkroom needs quite a bit of available space (if you don't want to set it up and store it back eveytime you print or develop). I was lucky enough to set up my negative development in the bathroom, but the print job needs a bit more space. I'm currently doin' my stuff on a 2mt table I built and I can barely fit the enlarger, three trays and some accessories on it.