Options

Kodak to roll out photo kiosks that develop 35mm film in minutes

K2RK2R Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited February 17, 2004 in The Big Picture
Kodak to roll out photo kiosks that develop 35mm film in minutes. Here is one source of info. Looks like a good move for Kodak.

Link

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2004
    I feel sorry for Kodak. Their core business is disappearing forever, and despite years of effort they aren't wowing anyone with their digital offerings.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I feel sorry for Kodak. Their core business is disappearing forever, and despite years of effort they aren't wowing anyone with their digital offerings.
    Must be something in the Rochester water, cuz Xerox ain't doing a whole lot better.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    kbasakbasa Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Must be something in the Rochester water, cuz Xerox ain't doing a whole lot better.
    I read a piece in Fortune a couple weeks ago about Kodak. Apparently, they had an operating digital camera running 25 years ago and never did anything with it.
    What's this button do?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited February 10, 2004
    kbasa wrote:
    I read a piece in Fortune a couple weeks ago about Kodak. Apparently, they had an operating digital camera running 25 years ago and never did anything with it.
    I remember some of the early digital slr's carried the Kodak name. They
    were definetly on the line when digital took off. Kodak just stalled--the
    business's inability to change quickly enough.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2004
    I havnt seen anyone with 35 mm for ?? maybe 6 months. My father still uses one to chop peoples heads & feet off & then tell you what a good camera it is.

Digital has something film will never have & that is that you can go out in the yard/park for the afternoon & take several hundred photos & then go home & look/keep/discard them straight away.

I do hope there will always be some photographic paper about for the pinholers.
  • Options
    kometkomet Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    It's called product life cycle, Waxie. Just part of progress in the overall business world. 8 Track tapes...radio tube technology...the list goes on. The longer a product stays with us...it becomes sort of a constant...and we prefer constant over change. The Kodak brand name is still very marketable and hopefully will not go on the cheap such as Bell & Howell. I saw a cheap Bell & Howell electric razor advertised on televison. I suppose even that name is still worth a dollar or two to the brand concious.ne_nau.gif
    komet gives light so that you may find the way.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2004
    I see Kodak marketed the 'older..non-tech' generation with the net ready docking station/printer. I have a 2Mp kodak (my 1st digital) & it can often take a photo right up there with my Olympus...i know its all user relative.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2004
    komet, I know and I understand. I'm lousy at handling change, that's all. Too much in some parts of my life make it harder to accept in others. Need something to stay constant, after all. :gone
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2004
    Well I'll be Blowed
    After singing the blues about Big Yellow's decline.... I'm stunned to read this news story today.
    Kodak Ended 2003 with Digital Camera Sales Boost
    By Franklin Paul

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Eastman Kodak Co.(EK) jumped to the top position in U.S. sales of digital cameras at the end of 2003, passing Sony Corp. (6758.T) and Canon Inc. (7751.T), boosted by strong holiday season sales.

Here's the rest.

Apparently Kodak has a winning combination of low prices and ease-of-use with its printer docking station that obviates the need for a computer. Also, Canon is third in total sales but first in revenue. Both Canon and Sony saw year-to-year Q4 slips. Not exactly in Canon's game plan for world domination.

The storm on the horizon is cheap non brand-name cameras flooding in from the east, as has happened with DVD players and TVs.

Still, this is heartening news for Big Yella.
    Sid.
  • Options
    kometkomet Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    After singing the blues about Big Yellow's decline.... I'm stunned to read this news story today.

Here's the rest.

Apparently Kodak has a winning combination of low prices and ease-of-use with its printer docking station that obviates the need for a computer. Also, Canon is third in total sales but first in revenue. Both Canon and Sony saw year-to-year Q4 slips. Not exactly in Canon's game plan for world domination.

The storm on the horizon is cheap non brand-name cameras flooding in from the east, as has happened with DVD players and TVs.

Still, this is heartening news for Big Yella.
    Methinks there is still some trust in the Kodak name.
    komet gives light so that you may find the way.