Wanted some sunrise shots - long post

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited October 28, 2006 in Wildlife
Hi Y'all,

I left my house early yesterday in some rather nippy weather for Florida to catch some sunrise shots at the Viera Wetlands. I had my 17-35 and my 28-70 set up on my D2X and D200 and I thought it would be a nice break from bird pics. Then as I drove down the road leading to THE TREE I saw this scene.

105305198-O.jpg

Screw the sunrise I thought as I switched lenses on my cameras those are eagles!!!!!

105305257-O.jpg

The light got better as the sun rose but one eagle left and didn't come back.
105305264-O.jpg

As the sun rose I moved towards the back of the eagle where he wasn't back lit. I just got into place when he flew off. I sighed and took down the camera and took off the 500mm lens and TC. I then turned around to get the tripod and saw that the eagle had returned. So I put the 500 and the 1.4 TC back on the D2X and took some more shots.
105305268-O.jpg

He flew off again, showing his butt to me all the way so no shots. I waited a bit and a bit longer but he didn't return. So I took down the camera, went back and took down the tripod, As I put the tripod away I turned and saw that the eagle had landed. So I set up the tripod and the camera and took some more shots.
105305275-O.jpg

105305295-L.jpg

Now I was going to wait until hell froze over so I waited and waited and waited. As I went to my car to get a drink of water he flew back but I fooled him as I had my D200 and 80-40 with me.
105305211-O.jpg
Well he flew off, butt shot of course and I waited longer this time but no return. :cry Sooo I packed up my gear and drove off. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw that the eagle had returned again. So I drove around the wetlands to get back to the spot (all the roads are one way and there ain't no room for a u-turn).By this time we had attracted some company
105305226-O.jpg

105305236-L.jpg

105305240-L.jpg

The eagle flew off again, showing butt all the way, naturally. I went over to the cars, I figured the Canon shooter especially needed some help :D , and told them to stand by as the eagle probably would return. As I was telling this to the second shooter I saw his eyes get big and he started to shoot because the eagle was returning. I was skunked again but I got a few more shots in.
105305310-O.jpg

105305319-O.jpg

105305326-O.jpg

I ended up spending close to 4 hours at that spot. It was good to see THE TREE back in the game. The lighting was especially challenging as I started out shooting with an ev adjustment of +0.3 and ended up at a -1.3 adjustment.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Dang Harry,

I got frustrated just reading your post, I can't imagine how frustrated you must have been...setup ...breakdown...setup...breakdown...you guys shooting wildlife have much more patience than me.

Goog shots by the way.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    I like this one
    105305319-S.jpg

Looks like it's saying, "Go away Harry and leave me alone!!!"
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Love this one
    105305226-S.jpg

This really puts in perspective the tree and the eagle, I had no idea the tree was that tall!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited October 25, 2006
    They are all wonderful, but #4 is my favorite. Great light and detail. wings.gif

Cheers,
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Gosh Harry.. that must be a big disapointment not getting any sunrises.

I feel your pain. But all was not lost !!!!!!

the car & van photos were outstanding!!:D rolleyes1.gif

Fantastic series & story.
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Great shots Harry! clap.gifwings.gifclap.gif
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Dang Harry,

I got frustrated just reading your post, I can't imagine how frustrated you must have been...setup ...breakdown...setup...breakdown...you guys shooting wildlife have much more patience than me.

Goog shots by the way.

I was frustrated with myself. If I actually had a bit more patience I could had saved myself the setup-breakdown-set up game,

Thanks for stopping by.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • LardogLardog Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    I was frustrated with myself. If I actually had a bit more patience I could had saved myself the setup-breakdown-set up game,

Thanks for stopping by.
    I think the eagle was messing with you and knew exactly what it was doing.rolleyes1.gif

Anyways, nice shots. I really like the colors on the first one
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    ah the TREE eek7.gif or eagle stick -I am thinking rolleyes1.gif we have no eagle stick in so cal :cry nice shooting thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
    edited October 25, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    105305319-S.jpg

Looks like it's saying, "Go away Harry and leave me alone!!!"

I've heard that a few times before from feathered birds and the unfeathered kind also. :D
    Harry
    edited October 25, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    105305226-S.jpg

This really puts in perspective the tree and the eagle, I had no idea the tree was that tall!

Thanks, that's the reason I took the shot. I've posted lots of shots of THE TREE but I never really gave it any kind of perspective.
    Harry
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 25, 2006
    I feel your pain Harry!!rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 25, 2006
    I really do need to retire to FL :D

Another great set of images...
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    Well..what a day...but it was worthed the 4 hours! Nice captures.

Thanks for sharing.

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
    edited October 26, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    They are all wonderful, but #4 is my favorite. Great light and detail. wings.gif

Cheers,

Thanks for the kind words Richard.
    Harry
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    Sweet Light
    Sweet Subject
    Sweet Timing

What more could you ask for!!! Great shots Harry. Especially fond of the early morning shots with the sweet light. Someday I hope to see a Bald Eagle that close in the wild.
    edited October 26, 2006
    dbaker1221 wrote:
    Gosh Harry.. that must be a big disapointment not getting any sunrises.

I feel your pain. But all was not lost !!!!!!

the car & van photos were outstanding!!:D rolleyes1.gif

Fantastic series & story.

I'm glad somebody understands. I went out for some sunrise shots and all I came home with were these lousy eagle shots. :cry

biggrinbounce2.gif
    Harry
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    105305310-O.jpg

The eagle even did a scene from the exorcistrolleyes1.gif I would have started running when his head started to swivel :yikes ... great series H... and perfect exposures. All of the detail in the feathers and the highlights aren't blown bowdown.gif
    edited October 26, 2006
    Great shots Harry! clap.gifwings.gifclap.gif

Thak you Glenn.
    Harry
    edited October 26, 2006
    Lardog wrote:
    I think the eagle was messing with you and knew exactly what it was doing.rolleyes1.gif

Anyways, nice shots. I really like the colors on the first one

Thnaks Larry and I agree with you about the bird. Birds are basically evil creatures and they know a lot more baout photography than they let on. They will always take care to be backlit, to be in shadows, to have at least one twig or blade of glass in front of them, to stay just outside the effective range of whatever lens you are using, and they will always wait until you are looking away, changinging settings, whatever to do something amazingly interesting. :pissed
    Harry
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    The "Exorcist"! rolleyes1.gif

105305275-M.jpg

Great set, Harry.thumb.gif

That first one would make a terrific poster.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    Beautiful set as always clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited October 26, 2006
    jwear wrote:
    ah the TREE eek7.gif or eagle stick -I am thinking rolleyes1.gif we have no eagle stick in so cal :cry nice shooting thumb.gif

Yes THE TREE is making an impressive comeback. clap.gif Everybody should have such a tree.

Thanks.
    Harry
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    Awesome stuff Harry, how close are you actually able to get to the tree and the Eagles still be comfortable?
  • Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    clap.gifclap.gif The eagles are coming back. Glad you ran into this one. Nice series of shots Harry. Mike and I saw a few the other day. Boy..what I wouldn't give for a shiny white 500mm lens. :D Keep 'em coming.
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    edited October 26, 2006
    ehughes wrote:
    Awesome stuff Harry, how close are you actually able to get to the tree and the Eagles still be comfortable?

Thanks Ed. This eagle was very comfortable with people. At one point he had three cars parked by the tree with shooters snapping away, me with my 500mm on a tripod failry close, and a pair of birders snapping away with P&Ss right in front of the tree. One of the shots shows close to the tree they got. The tree is about 40'-50' feet high and sits in the water about 6 feet from the shore and we were just a few yards from the shore line ourselves. We got as close to the tree as we could w/o entering the water.

I was amazed because the eagles last year would never had tolerated us that close and would have taken off immediately. This one though hung around, flying in and out for a good 4 hours plus.
    Harry
    edited October 26, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    I feel your pain Harry!!rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

clap.gifclap.gif somebody at last understands. :lol4
    Harry
    edited October 26, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    I really do need to retire to FL :D

Another great set of images...

Thanks Ian. Everyone should retire to Florida.
    Harry
  • JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    I got a kick out of the people shooting paparazi style from their cars... are they afraid of the birds? Never seen an Eagle myself, though we have 'em around here.

Jamie
    edited October 27, 2006
    Well..what a day...but it was worthed the 4 hours! Nice captures.

Thanks for sharing.

Dick.

Thaks Dick, it was a great 4 hours.
    Harry