Best finish for large framed print under glass

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited October 27, 2006 in Finishing School
I'm printing one of my shots of Lancaster County PA as an item to be sold at a charity auction. I have a framer who is donating their talents too. What is you opinion on matte, glossy, ore lustre for a large (16x24) glass covered print. I know not glossy, but I'm stuck between Lustre or Matte.

Comments

• Fred MaurerFred Maurer Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Luster or matte?
    I live not too far from Lancaster. I guess it depends on what will work best with the print you are doing. If it is a landscape Amish farm field scene, I would most likely go with the subtleness of a matte finish.
    Regards,
    Fred
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    I live not too far from Lancaster. I guess it depends on what will work best with the print you are doing. If it is a landscape Amish farm field scene, I would most likely go with the subtleness of a matte finish.
    Regards,
    Fred

Thanks,

I figure Matte is safe, as lustre may give glare a little under a big piece of glass.

The print will be of this shot.

105326813-L.jpg
  • Fred MaurerFred Maurer Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Very nice shot, should fetch a large "donation"!
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    My preference for under glass shots is matte. Actually I prefer matte all the time. But under glass matte will, as you said, help eliminate any stray relfections.

Nice shot BTWthumb.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • fdifdi Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    Matte looks like glossy under glass in a picture frame. Lustre will just look even glossier under glass. Regardless of what kind of paper you use, the glass will cause reflections unless you use a non-glare glass or properly light the picture frame. Non-glare glass has an etched surface to prevent this. The drawback is the etched surface also reduces sharpness a little. Another option is reduced glare glass, which uses a special coating to reduce reflections without hurting sharpness. This kind of glass is very expensive though. Proper lighting is accomplished by having the light close to and above the image so that you only see reflections if you are very short (like a child) and have to look up at the frame.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Picture Frames Destination, Inc.
    Facebook
    My Picture Framing Blog
    Rebel T2i, 100mm/2.8, 28-105mm
    100-300mm, 17-35mm