E46 325i 'Annabelle' Fall Shoot.

jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
edited October 26, 2006 in Holy Macro
Washed the car and took her for a ride. Thanks once again to Umnitza and [EMAIL="Paul@EuroSpec"]Paul@EuroSpec[/EMAIL] (strut bar). I have been very happy with the products so far! My gear is a Canon XTi with the Canon 50mm f/1.8, full EXIF data can be found in my own gallery: http://gallery.jsedlak.org. I am still looking for a matching rear cf strut bar!

325i_082.jpg

325i_083.jpg

325i_084.jpg

325i_085.jpg

325i_086.jpg

325i_087.jpg

325i_088.jpg

325i_089.jpg

325i_090.jpg

Comments

• jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    I can guess you are very found of BMW...
    So am I.
    But in Portugal to have a car moved by petrol is very expensive.
    Mine - as many others - is a diesel.
    The 320 cd. Mystic Blue. Automatic.
    Let me introduce it to you.
    62490225-Th.jpg
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    jsedlak wrote:
    Washed the car and took her for a ride. Thanks once again to Umnitza and Paul@EuroSpec (strut bar). I have been very happy with the products so far! My gear is a Canon XTi with the Canon 50mm f/1.8, full EXIF data can be found in my own gallery: http://gallery.jsedlak.org. I am still looking for a matching rear cf strut bar!

This is a really nice series of your car, and Autumn combined clap.gif
    You've captured some great colours and reflections in this lot.

I'm so not into cars, I've always considered them an incredible waste of money, but that's just me rolleyes1.gif ........ Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Love it! nice series love the reflections off the car :D
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 25, 2006
    a carbon fiber strut tower brace... interesting.

i like location #2 better. while the leaves are nice #1, there's almost too much reflection on your car, makes it look very busy.

nice shots, nice ride thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited October 26, 2006
    I can guess you are very found of BMW...
    So am I.
    But in Portugal to have a car moved by petrol is very expensive.
    Mine - as many others - is a diesel.
    The 320 cd. Mystic Blue. Automatic.
    Let me introduce it to you.
    62490225-Th.jpg
    thumb.gif

Nice, another BMW guy in the house! wings.gif
    Skippy wrote:
    This is a really nice series of your car, and Autumn combined clap.gif
    You've captured some great colours and reflections in this lot.

I'm so not into cars, I've always considered them an incredible waste of money, but that's just me rolleyes1.gif ........ Skippy (Australia)

Thanks! I can understand that feeling, for some they are just a way to get to work. For others they are a canvas. thumb.gif
    DoctorIt wrote:

i like location #2 better. while the leaves are nice #1, there's almost too much reflection on your car, makes it look very busy.

nice shots, nice ride thumb.gif

Just got it yesterday... Very lightweight and got to love the look of it! I actually enjoyed location 2 better as well but hit #1 first. The first location seemed to work nicely for the up close shots.
    gavin wrote:
    Love it! nice series love the reflections off the car :D

Thanks!

I did use a polarizing filter but am still trying to figure out the best way to use it. I was spinning it endlessly looking at how it changed the sky. Pretty awesome changes. Yeah... I caught myself drifting off...
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 26, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure I'm buying into that concept either.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 26, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Yeah, I'm not sure I'm buying into that concept either.
    i can't articulate why, at the moment, but glad I'm not alone
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited October 26, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    i can't articulate why, at the moment, but glad I'm not alone

CF is great on race cars, but eventually it will fail. CF is only strong in one direction and as a structural material it's use is tenous at best. F1 cars use it for suspension bits and when they fail they literally explode into shards. Can you imagine the damage that would do under the hood to a running engine? In this application it's all show and no go. Detailing the engine bay would have done more to dress it up for far less $. The weight savings over the OEM strut bar is negligable at best. Reducing rotational weight at the wheels would have been money far better spent for both performance and looks. To top it off adding a CF strut bar to the OEM suspension is also a bit strange as I highly doubt there is any percieved handling benefit on what is clearly a street only car.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    truth wrote:
    CF is great on race cars, but eventually it will fail. CF is only strong in one direction and as a structural material it's use is tenous at best. F1 cars use it for suspension bits and when they fail they literally explode into shards. Can you imagine the damage that would do under the hood to a running engine? In this application it's all show and no go. Detailing the engine bay would have done more to dress it up for far less $. The weight savings over the OEM strut bar is negligable at best. Reducing rotational weight at the wheels would have been money far better spent for both performance and looks. To top it off adding a CF strut bar to the OEM suspension is also a bit strange as I highly doubt there is any percieved handling benefit on what is clearly a street only car.

Chad, you took the words right out of my mouth. lol3.gif (Nice pics by the way!)
    edited October 26, 2006
    truth wrote:

Not all true. It's application does have an affect on the cars handling, albeit small. Turn in speeds are a bit quicker and the car is more balanced when going into the corner. My car was at a loss for stiffness being that it is a cold weather package car (fold down seats = no frame behind rear seats). Although swaybars affected my car the most I can certainly feel the difference of the strut bar.

Carbon Fiber strut bars have been in use for a long time now and there durability definately has proven well, especially compared against price. I got this one for $125 where as a comparable aluminum one is twice the cost. Btw there was no OEM strut tower bar.

If I wish to spend money reducing rotational mass, which will obviously have a greater effect, I would have to spend far greater amounts of money. A simple lightweight clutch and flywheel could cost $2000+, lighter wheels costing $1000 (for budget ltw wheels).

I did do it 50% for looks, I will admit that. A formula one car uses carbon fiber for more than just the suspension by the way. In fact the entire chassis is made out of carbon fiber. The wheels are magnesium forged, the panels are carbon fiber... even the brakes use a special carbon composite. You have to remember that an F1 car is also made to fall apart when it reaches the finish line. Components aren't made with durability in mind, this strut bar is.

Btw, the car, although street based, is certainly used to its fullest extent. I do autocross the car, and I do drive it hard. For that reason I have no big boom booms in the trunk. thumb.gif

Anyways... back on topic. Thanks for the compliments about the pictures. Any suggestions to improve them / my abilities?
    edited October 26, 2006
    jsedlak wrote:

I did do it 50% for looks, I will admit that. A formula one car uses carbon fiber for more than just the suspension by the way. In fact the entire chassis is made out of carbon fiber. The wheels are magnesium forged, the panels are carbon fiber... even the brakes use a special carbon composite. You have to remember that an F1 car is also made to fall apart when it reaches the finish line. Components aren't made with durability in mind, this strut bar is.

Yes, obviously it's not the only carbon item on an F1 car. It is the only one that is used to counter a vertical force over a horizantal span though. BMW makes an OEM strut bar for the E46. It's standard on the M3 and fits all E46 front ends.

There is a risk involved in placing CF under the hood compared to aluminium and to me it makes no sense. In fact most CF components make no sense on anything other than a pure race car. There is simply not enough to be gained for the money and it's durability is horrid. One ding and the structural integrity is null and void. Ya think the dealer that services your car will treat that CF the way it should be when they need to remove it? Doubtful at best.

I'm not speaking from ingorance, I've been involved in the design and sales of CF cycling components and have been the car modding game with Audi's and BMW's for far too long now.

Maybe there was a reason you were able to pick the part up so cheap.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    I just came home from the presentation - I think worldwide - of the new 3 coupé.
    1553-03.jpg
    It's nice but I think it does not make a great improvement in relationship with my own, the previous version.
    The sound of closing the door is now better and it's not that horrible sound that my car does.
    It's only available the 330 diesel and others in petrol.
    The car presented was automatic.
    (Hope you don't mind I post a pic here :D).

I had a littke accident these days and I'm driving an Audi A4 van.
    It's very good and quick. Also 2.0 cc diesel engine.

All the best. thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    Great photo shoot iloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery