Options

bibble labs - raw converter

yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
edited January 7, 2005 in Cameras
Wowiee!

I was sitting in the office wanted to submit my photo for C28 and realised I didn't have a raw converter in the office. So I searched the web for something I could download for free and got my hands on the trial version for Bibble Labs photo imaging software.

I LOVE IT!!!!

I haven't had a huge amount of time to play with it, but for batch processing, batch conversion etc, it seems much simpler, cleaner and faster to use than anything that came with my camera!

Of course this may be old news to you lot, but I've only just seen it and I'm seriously considering investing the $128 bucks for the full version.

Bibblelabs.com is the link if anyone's interested.

Comments

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    I have heard good things about this sw.I tried it and couldnt understand it.To me it was confusingne_nau.gif

I am very found of C1 LE and did all my pp with that.The downside is they have not released the latest vesion which means I cant work my old 20D or 1D mK2 images:cry
    Hopefully the new version will support the 1D MK2 or I will have to upgrade to the pro version OUCH it has a heffty price tag.
    You can find their site here. They offer a 15 day trial.
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    I am very found of C1 LE

I've tried four different raw converters: C1 SE, Canon File Browser, Photoshop CS, and GraphiConverter in descending order of quality.

C1's image quality stands head and shoulders above the others although its interface is a bit nonintuitive (at least on the Mac). Once you figure out how it wants things done, however, it's an outstanding tool. It's expensive, but worth it -- at least at the SE level. Some of the additional automation features of the top-end version (more than 100 frames in a single batch, ability to convert to more than one format in a single pass) would be nice but it's hard to stomach the price differential. The only downside to C1 is that it is extremely chunky in its interactiveness on my 640M 850MHz Powerbook, especially during directory load when it's creating thumbnails. Perhaps more memory or a faster processor solves that, I dunno.

Canon's free tool does a good job but is balky to use. It's the best I've seen for how fast it can bring up a whole directory of RAW images so you can see thumbnails, but its interface for inspecting the actual images is awful.

Photoshop wins the "easy to use" category for me, and its quality is quite close to Canon's tool.

GraphiConverter (which you have to pay for to get raw support) produces horribly noisy images. I am not sure but I think they're not doing mask interpolation at all, it's that bad. It's also very slow when browsing, although is easily the fastest converter I've seen if what you want is a quick conversion of a lot of files and you don't much care about quality.

Speaking of useful tools, if you haven't seen Neat Image (photoshop noise reduction plug-in) then you don't know what you're missing. What a phenomenal tool, well worth the $50ish they're charging for it if you have high-ISO shots you want to come out clean. Highly recommended.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com