Options

Help recovering thumbs

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited October 26, 2006 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Here's the story. I shot a dress rehearsal for Boston Ballet. I culled and I culled until I got nearly a thousand shots down to about 40. Then I uploaded these to a private gallery and sent a link to Mikko Nissinen, the artistic director. He has final say over which shots are "approved" and can be shown. He sent me an email saying something like "great shots". So I still didn't know which were approved. Saw him today. Turns out he used the thumbs to approve.

So now I want to figure out which ones he approved and which he disapproved. I'm pretty sure I can't get him to do it again. Nobody else has ever seen the shots since the gallery is private. Is there any way to recover this, perhaps looking at the popular shots from the gallery?

Thanks for any help with this. You'd think this would be a great use of the thumbs, wouldn't you?
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Here's the story. I shot a dress rehearsal for Boston Ballet. I culled and I culled until I got nearly a thousand shots down to about 40. Then I uploaded these to a private gallery and sent a link to Mikko Nissinen, the artistic director. He has final say over which shots are "approved" and can be shown. He sent me an email saying something like "great shots". So I still didn't know which were approved. Saw him today. Turns out he used the thumbs to approve.

So now I want to figure out which ones he approved and which he disapproved. I'm pretty sure I can't get him to do it again. Nobody else has ever seen the shots since the gallery is private. Is there any way to recover this, perhaps looking at the popular shots from the gallery?

Thanks for any help with this. You'd think this would be a great use of the thumbs, wouldn't you?
    Have you tried chezrutt/popular? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2006
    Mikko's one vote doesn't seem to have moved any of the shots from that gallery onto my popular pages. Is there someway to see the most popular shots from a particular gallery? What if I put the gallery into it's own category?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    Well, it wasn't pretty and it wasn't perfect and it violated the letter if not the spirit of my agreement with Boston Ballet, at least for a few minutes.

I made a new community and put the proof gallery into it. Then I had to make the gallery public (I wasn't supposed to do that without Mikko's approvals.) Then I could see 10 all time most popular shots. I assume these are 10 thumbs-up from Mikko. Fine, I commented on all of these and reverted to gallery to not public.

Not perfect because:
    1. I had to make the gallery public, if only briefly, and
    2. Only the ten of the shots showed.
    I assume that 2. is some sort of hard limit, but perhaps Mikko really only approved 10 shots. That's not what he says, but who actually knows. It's all a little frustrating because I know there is a simple SQL query which would recover the exact information.

The moral of this story is a feature request. Why not let the owner of a gallery which has never been public recover the thumbs vote? The thumbs are a perfect vehicle for clients and pros to interact through proof sheets. What Mikko did made perfect sense. What could be as easy for him? Comments? He'd have to enter the code each time. Editing the caption? He'd have to make an account and sign in. Email? He'd have to send URLs or filenames (something I've learned my clients really won't do unless I get behind and push.)

There are different ways to package this. A pro only feature, perhaps, to differentiate pro accounts. Perhaps it can be coded in JS as a pro customization? I almost thought I knew how to do this once upon a time, but the system was too secure for me.

Anyway, Mikko seems to have stumbled upon something I've wanted for ages: a simple way for my clients to tell me which shots they like and don't like. I'd love to see smugmug find a way to turn this into a full fledged pro feature.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Well, it wasn't pretty and it wasn't perfect and it violated the letter if not the spirit of my agreement with Boston Ballet, at least for a few minutes.

I made a new community and put the proof gallery into it. Then I had to make the gallery public (I wasn't supposed to do that without Mikko's approvals.) Then I could see 10 all time most popular shots. I assume these are 10 thumbs-up from Mikko. Fine, I commented on all of these and reverted to gallery to not public.

Not perfect because:
    1. I had to make the gallery public, if only briefly, and
    2. Only the ten of the shots showed.
    I assume that 2. is some sort of hard limit, but perhaps Mikko really only approved 10 shots. That's not what he says, but who actually knows. It's all a little frustrating because I know there is a simple SQL query which would recover the exact information.

The moral of this story is a feature request. Why not let the owner of a gallery which has never been public recover the thumbs vote? The thumbs are a perfect vehicle for clients and pros to interact through proof sheets. What Mikko did made perfect sense. What could be as easy for him? Comments? He'd have to enter the code each time. Editing the caption? He'd have to make an account and sign in. Email? He'd have to send URLs or filenames (something I've learned my clients really won't do unless I get behind and push.)

There are different ways to package this. A pro only feature, perhaps, to differentiate pro accounts. Perhaps it can be coded in JS as a pro customization? I almost thought I knew how to do this once upon a time, but the system was too secure for me.

Anyway, Mikko seems to have stumbled upon something I've wanted for ages: a simple way for my clients to tell me which shots they like and don't like. I'd love to see smugmug find a way to turn this into a full fledged pro feature.
    Thanks Rutt, for the Feature Request! Glad you figured a work-around for the time being.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    I submitted an actual feature request and listed some ideas for how to implement.
    If not now, when?