Be afraid, be very afraid...

thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
edited October 27, 2006 in Holy Macro
I was walking through our local woods on Tuesday, scanning for shots when I turned and was confronted by this, it scared the bejeebers out of me. At first I thought it was some weird beast climbing up (or worse, down) the tree, then I thought it was a freaky insect nest of some sort.

After I had calmed down I remembered to take a picture, on closer inspection it looks like some sort of growth that's part of the tree.

I'm glad it wasn't any darker in those woods, I'd have browned my long johns.

105393804-L.jpg

Charlie

Comments

• Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Oh my....I thought about a gigantic bee's nest at first!!

Glad to see you were not in any danger taking this shot!!

Great capture!

Heather
  • Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    thebigsky wrote:
    Charlie

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    That is a startling sight even in your photo....I can imagine your reaction when you saw it in person! :eek1 :yikes
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    thebigsky wrote:
    I was walking through our local woods on Tuesday, scanning for shots when I turned and was confronted by this, it scared the bejeebers out of me. At first I thought it was some weird beast climbing up (or worse, down) the tree, then I thought it was a freaky insect nest of some sort.

After I had calmed down I remembered to take a picture, on closer inspection it looks like some sort of growth that's part of the tree.

Charlie

Wow Charlie, I thought it was a huge bee hive too, as the image was loading ..... it also looks like a Gorilla gripping onto the tree as well.

Did you notice any others on the surrounding trees? ... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Wow Charlie, I thought it was a huge bee hive too, as the image was loading ..... it also looks like a Gorilla gripping onto the tree as well.

Did you notice any others on the surrounding trees? ... Skippy (Australia)

AHAHAHAH! i thought it was a bear or somthign climbing! WOW i think i woudl have been scared so bad
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    You found a Sasquatch Cacoon!!

This thing totally looks like an ape hanging on to a tree.

You know with Halloween around the corner......

Add a plastic eye or piece of colored glass then lead an little excursion in to the "haunted woods" at night.

You think you were scared- just imagine the possibilities!

Aaron
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    eek7.gif wow nice find
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    This was the only one I saw, I felt like I'd wandered onto the set of The X-files or Lost. I think a good halloween tale could be woven around this, how it's some hell beast that lives in the forest, petrified until halloween comes when it reanimates to hunt for one night.

Right I'm scared again now....
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    Wow that is a great find
    Looks like a bear to me.

Good place to take the kids on halloween

Fred