Options

Stats explosion

DarronDarron Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited November 1, 2006 in SmugMug Support
This is an odd month - I rarely get very much traffic reported on my SmugMug stats. Then suddenly I see 1.3 gigs of bandwidth used. Some gallery thumbnail groups show 140 hits per thumb. One single photo at the end of that gallery (not an especially amazing one) had the original pulled 212 times! Why would anyone hot-link to an original - it's too big to fit on a web page.
In another gallery there were 94 hits on the original of a picture of MY CAT?
Anyone else ever notice stats that don't really seem to make sense?
In the interest of bandwidth I simply disabled originals in most galleries for now.

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 25, 2006
    Hi Darron,

I myself had this same problem last month in several galleries that had originals turned on. Unfortunately, I didn't have statcounter enabled on my page to determine where the traffic was coming from.

That must be one good-looking cat :)

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited October 26, 2006
    Darron wrote:
    This is an odd month - I rarely get very much traffic reported on my SmugMug stats. Then suddenly I see 1.3 gigs of bandwidth used. Some gallery thumbnail groups show 140 hits per thumb. One single photo at the end of that gallery (not an especially amazing one) had the original pulled 212 times! Why would anyone hot-link to an original - it's too big to fit on a web page.
    In another gallery there were 94 hits on the original of a picture of MY CAT?
    Anyone else ever notice stats that don't really seem to make sense?
    In the interest of bandwidth I simply disabled originals in most galleries for now.
    Some other Web site has probably linked to your gallery. Mostly, this is a good thing, as it means more people are looking at your stuff. If you are seeing some images with more hits than their thumbs, that means that a site has hot-linked to the image itself. This is not a good thing, as you are providing bandwidth to some other site and you may not be getting credit for the images. You can eliminate hot-linking by turning off external links on your gallery customization page. Statcounter can sometimes tell you who is referring traffic to your site, but it will not tell you who is hot-linking.

Cheers,
  • Options
    DarronDarron Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 26, 2006
    Thanks, David & Richard. I recently turned of the "external link" option for a few "problem" galleries. The stats patterns are still a little baffelling. And it seems silly to hot-link to an original if the thing would fill a browser screen (unless the link page resizes it there, which also seems silly).
    Cheers,
    Darron
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Darron wrote:
    Thanks, David & Richard. I recently turned of the "external link" option for a few "problem" galleries. The stats patterns are still a little baffelling. And it seems silly to hot-link to an original if the thing would fill a browser screen (unless the link page resizes it there, which also seems silly).
    Cheers,
    Darron

I've seen similar, one of my shots of yellowstone from last summer had something like 400-600 hits per month to the original image, while the entire rest of the gallery had only about 40-60 hits total across all images and sizes for the month. This has repeated for I want to say 4 months or so now? I was just looking to see if it held true for last month, but right now I can't even manage to find the per image stats page anymore!

I've got a sunset shot that's in similar statistics. I can only assume that someone has been passing around the url to the raw -O.jpg (I have external links enabled.) but without raw access to the httpd logs, I'm not sure if there's any reliable way to see where the links are from. (none of the major search engines could find any links to the images in question when I looked a couple months back.)

I've been tempted to replace the image with one that says "hey, someone is deep linking to this image, if you see this, please drop me a note with the url you are seeing it from at this email address..."
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/