My trip to Europe-part 4-Amsterdam

smhs.imagessmhs.images Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited November 11, 2006 in Journeys
Final stretch of my two week adventure. Michelle and I met my husband at the Amsterdam airport and proceeded to find a hotel room. Everything was full so we ended up spending more money than we wanted but at least we got a room in Central Amsterdam. We have a friend who lives in the Netherlands and were able to meet up with her and her brother over the weekend. Our plan was to go home on Monday but we were having fun and were invited to stay with our friends' brother on Monday night so we stayed the extra day.

Amsterdam Days 9-12

103223751-S.jpg

102033054-S.jpg

The mile long hike up 6 flights of stairs to our hotel room. The Netherlands tax their property on the width, not height so they build up up and away!

103227192-S.jpg

The narrowness of the buildings is also the reason for the big hooks that hang from the roofs. This is how they move their stuff in, its called hoisting.

105495494-S.jpg

I thought this t shirt was funny. Very Amsterdam.

102036837-Th-1.jpg102036313-Th.jpg102034711-Th-1.jpg102035763-Th.jpg

Our lovely overpriced room with a view, two beds, and a shower stall smack in the center. We had to share our toilet with our neighbors as it was in the hall.

102038032-S.jpg

BJ and the pancake menu. Yummy, pancakes all day and all night. This is my favorite restaurant in Amsterdam. I noticed that I always forget to photograph the food... I guess its cause I am too busy eating it : )

102039511-Th.jpg102040837-Th.jpg

I love that sign, I wanted to steal it!; Michelle and I eagerly anticipating our pancakes.

102067993-S.jpg

Bj and I in front of the Rikksmuseum.

102042246-S-1.jpg

I love this... Jesus loves Amsterdam!

105496756-S.jpg

The moonlight made the canals glow and gave great reflections on the water

103221917-S.jpg

The canals along Leidsgracht at night

102045600-S-2.jpg102051307-S-2.jpg102050088-S-2.jpg
Urinals in the street. God are you men LAZY!!! (I'm just jealous); That warning says "smoking is lethal". Some of the warnings are quite creative and scarey; This man wanted in the photo so bad (on the right) that he almost got killed by a tram. Those things are silent and deadly.

102058266-Th.jpg102055962-Th.jpg

End of the day, we are all officially exhausted!

105495516-S.jpg105495445-S.jpg

Bloemenmarkt the floating flower market

102064525-Th.jpg102063160-Th.jpg102062117-Th.jpg

DePrins cafe was a wonderful place for lunch. A Rachel Ray recommendation ($40 a day)

102070162-S-2.jpg

Dinner at a Tapas restaurant with our friends.

103324518-S.jpg

This FEBO place is the most disgusting thing in the world. You pay money to open up a little window (like at a hospital vending machine) and take out hot food. YUCK!

102073731-S-1.jpg102074937-S.jpg
We asked someone to take this photo of us and he started walking away... a few more steps and he was about to get chased. Apparently he just thought this was the best place for the photo op. Hmmm; So we decided to take our own self portrait.

103224684-S.jpg

Bikes along the canals. Everyone rides a bike here... even moms in skirts with 3 kids,one in the front and two on the back. Its crazy!

102073209-S.jpg102061175-S.jpg

Posing in front of the lovely canals

105496111-S.jpg102072633-S.jpg

Bushuissluis canal

103473994-S.jpg102044515-S.jpg
Even though Heineken is not made in Amsterdam anymore the brewery still has tours which are pretty cool. For 10 euro you get the tour, 3 beers, and a Heineken bottle opener; Michelle, BJ and I enjoying some beers and a juice at the Heineken Experience.

103227638-S.jpg

Beware of pickpockets. I guess with pot being legal you have a lot of people who aren't watching their pockets!

102027738-S-1.jpg

End of the trip. Too much luggage and we are tired! Luckily we got first class on the flight coming home. We ate, drank and watched movies... sleep is for the dead!

for more Amsterdam photos http://www.shawnaseto.com/gallery/2001090

Please feel free to add your Amsterdam photos to this thread, I would love to see them!
Shawna
www.shawnaseto.com

Nobody gets in to see the wizard. Not nobody, not no how.

Join Smugmug get $5 bucks off!

Comments

• BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    Great night shots.

Amsterdam has so many photo's available it's maybe the best city I know for choice. People, buildings and canals make it a top 10 location..

Don't spend too much time in the cafe's or your photography can suffer eek7.gif
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    Really pretty nightshots!
    Looks like you had a great time!
  • chuckhchuckh Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    I enjoyed each of the 4 threads, thank you for sharing your European travels! wings.gif
  • BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    I'm glad I came back for a second look.
    I wondered why you posted so few pic's of Amstedam I thought you'd been waylaid into the coffee shop culture..

A nice full final set. Looks like you had a great Euro trip. wings.gif

Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • KluckKluck Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    Very Cool
    Thanks for sharing...
    Kelly
  • JeroenJeroen Registered Users Posts: 447 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Glad you liked the city :D
    And yes I agree, Febo is disgusting...
  • methdmethd Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    i was in amsterdam for 3 days in April, i took 4 pictures.. u figure :)
  • smhs.imagessmhs.images Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    hehe
    methd wrote:
    i was in amsterdam for 3 days in April, i took 4 pictures.. u figure :)

I went back to Amsterdam because that is what happened to me the last time I went! Still I could have taken more this time... where does the time go? rolleyes1.gif
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

• snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    I loved your pictures. I've been to Amsterdam, but didn't take a single night shot. I guess we go to bed too early.mwink.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    Very nice photo's !

Gives off a really good 'dutch vibe' which in my opinion is the hardest to capture. I live in Leiden, about 25 Km south of Amsterdam also an old city with all the canals, but more quiet and relaxed. If you ever need an guide, mail me rolleyes1.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    I really like Amsterdam, such a beautiful city! Been there three times, never regretted it :)

This one picture is very nice, too:

[QUOTE="smhs.images
    "]
    105496756-S.jpg
    [/QUOTE]

Could we share Amsterdam's pictures here?
    It might be interesting to show each other's shots, might give some ideas for tourism, too :D
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
    edited November 11, 2006
    AntoineD wrote:
    Could we share Amsterdam's pictures here?
    It might be interesting to show each other's shots, might give some ideas for tourism, too :D

I think that is a great idea and I would love to see others photos of Amsterdam!
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

edited November 11, 2006
    I think that is a great idea and I would love to see others photos of Amsterdam!

Here's a snapshot, it was during the last new year's eve:
    ad20051231-05.jpg

I really like those kind of wall-painting in Amsterdam, there's much style :)
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
    edited November 11, 2006
    Very nice photo's !

Gives off a really good 'dutch vibe' which in my opinion is the hardest to capture. I live in Leiden, about 25 Km south of Amsterdam also an old city with all the canals, but more quiet and relaxed. If you ever need an guide, mail me rolleyes1.gif

Sounds great... we'll keep that in mind. I am sure we will be back sooner than later. I wanted to see more of Holland than just Amsterdam. Next time!
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

edited November 11, 2006
    AntoineD wrote:
    Here's a snapshot, it was during the last new year's eve:
    ad20051231-05.jpg

I really like those kind of wall-painting in Amsterdam, there's much style :)

Great photo. I was invited to Amsterdam for New Years Eve this year but I can't go because I have to work! :cry
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

edited November 11, 2006
    Great photo. I was invited to Amsterdam for New Years Eve this year but I can't go because I have to work! :cry

NYE was very nice with friends (a couple) o'mine. We did a little journey through the city during the whole night, it was very nice:
    ad20051231-68.jpg