can't wrap my head around this style

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited November 5, 2006 in Finishing School
This chick's stuff has this unreal quality to it that I can't put my finger on. It looks like a digital velvia action on steriods, but the skin tones are not affected, it seems. Or maybe she's just intensifying specific channels (mostly cyan and magenta) with the skin masked out?

I think I like the effect, I just can't articulate what my eye is seeing.

Thoughts?
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    Interesting PP work. Looks to me like contrast gets bumped way up, a lot of them seem to be over-exposed or over-brightened. Then saturation bumped.

Some work for me, some don't. It would also get tiresome to see a whole album/event done in that style.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    Interesting PP work. Looks to me like contrast gets bumped way up, a lot of them seem to be over-exposed or over-brightened. Then saturation bumped.

Some work for me, some don't. It would also get tiresome to see a whole album/event done in that style.

I agree to an extent, and she molds every wedding squarely into this formula.... not much variety. But, apparently she's doing ok at $4500 a pop.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    Holga/lomo look?
    I just downloaded an action Lomoize V2.atn which I haven't tried yet. I do see a strong dark vignette in the corners. I'll say this style is a "bit over the top" for my taste, but it does get rid of skin blemishes, dark shadows, etc., without much more retouching. Also has a "glamour" aspect to it that might be popular with the brides.
    edited October 26, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    I just downloaded an action Lomoize V2.atn which I haven't tried yet. I do see a strong dark vignette in the corners. I'll say this style is a "bit over the top" for my taste, but it does get rid of skin blemishes, dark shadows, etc., without much more retouching. Also has a "glamour" aspect to it that might be popular with the brides.
    I saw the examples when I googled it and I think this is very close! Good catch Dee and thanks!!!

Gosh, I love these forums.wings.gif

EDIT: Ok downloaded it and tried it on a recent photo I really liked, but couldn't get the right effect in PP to capture a juicy, nostalgic feel. What do y'all think???

original
    98085651-L.jpg
    Lomo'd
    105571085-L.jpg
    Canon 5D MkI
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    My try
    urbanaries wrote:
    EDIT: Ok downloaded it and tried it on a recent photo I really liked, but couldn't get the right effect in PP to capture a juicy, nostalgic feel. What do y'all think???

original
    98085651-L.jpg
    Lomo'd
    Cute, shot. Here's one I did with my own manual process:
    • Brightened foreground with a curve
    • Removed some yellow from some locations with a masked curve
    • Noise reduction on skin
    • Shadow/highlights to restore some shadow detail
    • Sharpen
    • Tweak skin color slightly
    105579651-O.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    Try fading and high contrast first
    - wrote:
    I saw the examples when I googled it and I think this is very close! Good catch Dee and thanks!!!

Gosh, I love these forums.wings.gif

original
    98085651-Th.jpg
    Lomo'd
    105571085-Th.jpg

Maybe work on the faces first, then try lomo... Lomo won't lighten the image much, adds color and vignette -- She "who hasn't tried it yet" says. :-)

You might meander to Adobe share and look at the actions there. You might find something similar. Actions are great!
    edited October 26, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    Maybe work on the faces first, then try lomo... Lomo won't lighten the image much, adds color and vignette -- She "who hasn't tried it yet" says. :-)

You might meander to Adobe share and look at the actions there. You might find something similar. Actions are great!

All great tips, this was a quick and dirty edit, and now that I'm home the lomo'd image looks significantly more yellow than my daytime monitor...odd. I'm getting a new monitor at work tomorrow so hopefully it will be more accurate.

Thanks guys for your input! Jfriend, I like the colors in your edit although it does look a bit oversharpened?
    Canon 5D MkI
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    Hard with the small size
    urbanaries wrote:
    Jfriend, I like the colors in your edit although it does look a bit oversharpened?

It may be oversharpened. I was working with only the small size you posted so it's kind of hard to get the sharpening right without a larger size to work on.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    the wedding lady also could be cross process. ?