Photo Story Ideas?

RedhedRedhed Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited October 26, 2006 in Technique
My next assignment for a Photojournalism class is to put together a photo story. It's the major part of my grade, so I want to find something good...but I can't.

I'm at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill and I don't have a car, so I'm pretty much restricted to campus and the surrounding area. I want to find an interesting person, group, place, etc. to do a small amateur photo story about. What I'm asking all of you is...what should I do??? I know that you can't come to Chapel Hill and find a subject for me, but some general ideas, tips, etc. would be helpful. Any ideas?

Comments

• thestageguythestageguy Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 26, 2006
    Maybe..
    Have you considered a human interest story? Crime on campus, racial or ethnic tension, neighborhood residents around the campus (their relationships with students and administration), adversaries in light of the war in Iraq... My 2 cents anyway. :D
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    What immediately comes to mind which have plenty of exceptional photo ops are:

A) Theatre Dept. - Do a story on the department's next production. Great lighting ... super animation ... backstage stuff that few people see; and/or

B) Sports - Thrill of victory ... agony of defeat type of stuff. Will be harder because the action comes quick, fast and never repeats ... once again there are beacoup photo ops ... college sports makes for a long day ... so you can capture the mental pain of a 6am workout ... as well as individual pain of bettering one's personal performance ...
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • cornerketchcornerketch Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    I know I recommed this all the time.. But find the Special Olympics Office and find out what sports are practicing.. (Probably volleyball or powerlifting, long distance running )

Follow a player or a team

It's hard work, but it rewarding..

See my pictures - not a specific story but you can get an idea of what goes on..

www.sode.smugmug.com/sode SODE - Special Olympics Delaware
    Hank Stoklosa
    CornerKetch Studios
    Special Olympics Delaware
    www.sode.smugmug.com