Options

Almost bought a 4 wheeler....Frusterating. -length warning-

Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
edited October 30, 2006 in The Big Picture
I was looking at this 4 wheeler at the local dealership. It's a 2006 YFZ450. I could have gotten it for $6000 out the door with $500 worth of free stuff from the dealer. Yamaha quoted me for $6000/60mo @22.9%... not good... I tried the bank, KEEP IN MIND I have great credit, but they wouldn't finance me for $6000....:huh...Don't ask, the banker couldn't even figure it out.

THis is really frusterating. I wanted this 4Wheeler SOO bad. I really did. I was soo excited about this... :cry.. But the more I weigh this, I can't afford it. I CAN by the monthly payments (only $141/mo thru Yamaha).... But I might loose interest in my car because all my spare time I have I would spend riding the Quad. Pluss I'm going home on leave in three weeks for almost a month.. and an excersise on base next week, so already a week I wouldn't be riding it...

I was told that if I weighed the Quad and the fun on one half and weighed the worry on the other. It wouldn't be worth it. I would be worried about being able to make the payment, and worried about it's security (even tho I had a good plan as far as that). And then there's the theft insurance. ANOTHER darn bill! I don't have a truck, so I'd have to FIND a group with enough room to transport my quad. Then I still have maintenance work I have to do on the car.. (brakes, 02 sensors) I spend about 6+ hrs a week on that car as it is. -Cleaning mostly, but latley has been maintenance and upgrades....

Bottom line... Too many hobby's get expensive. I'm into cars, Photography and 4 wheelers... all are, or can be, VERY expensive.... IF I wait till after this next deployment, my car will be paid off and I can THEN buy the 4 wheeler in CASH and it'll also be paid off.. THen I can go to school w/o bills when I get out and then after school (2yr associates)... I can get the house and stick the Camaro and the Quad in the Garage and get the truck to drive everyday.... That works....
Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    I thought service men had their own military only avenues for loans. Is what I'm thinking just for USMC or did I make it up?
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    NAh, my bank had me in for a MIL loan. I honestly don't know what the ******* problem is!!!... I have GREAT credit, almost purfect... And they could only finance me $2300.... WTF?! .... Do I have to make $100,000 a year to get a good loan!?! THat's what I'm MOST fruterated about?! My bank approved me $2300... but asked for me to put my car up as coladeral!!! I told her... "THat's gonna be a big no on that. I've got about $9000 worth of parts in that car and it's my baby."

I REALLY want this thig too, but I'll have to wait over a year to pay for it in cash. It's like if I were to go with the high interest loan to have it to play with for 9 months, then not ride it for 9 months, then pay it off... then the next 'better' one will be out anyway... WTF.. I hate money!

:bash.....:bash.....:bash

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    Have you heard about that online financing community? I forget what it's called, but IIRC I saw it in the New York Times. Basically, the site runs a credit report on you, then it posts that score along with a post by you saying how much you need, what you need it for and over what period of time at what interest rate you're looking for, and since you're military I'd probably put that in there, then people say like I'll put up $500 and another person might put up $3000, etc and you pay them back.
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    Buy a used 4 wheeler. Or better yet, skip the 4 wheeler and go for the DSLR!

The nice thing about the camera hobby, it has the ability to generate revenue!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    Bayer Z-28

Welcome to the wonderfull world of finance. More than likely you do not have enough credit history or you have too many payments.

I have had an issue getting finance for a quad as well, my case I am reistablishing credit after a divorce.

I have similar issues as you as well- car nut that has an old Cougar awaiting rebuild, want a 4x4 for camping and getting to remote AZ locations, a 4 wheeler to get even further, and of course more photo equipment both film and digital.

Try the cycle trader for a used quad- better deal for less cash.

Good Luck!

Aaron
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    Ehh. FK it ... I bought the Quad. THe finance was only 13%.... Less than I thought it was.. go it in writing too..

You only live once riight.... In the long run the result will be the same. After the deployment both toys will be paid off.

2004972482364688824_rs.jpg

• Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    Bayer-Z28 wrote:
    Ehh. FK it ... I bought the Quad. THe finance was only 13%.... Less than I thought it was.. go it in writing too..

You only live once riight.... In the long run the result will be the same. After the deployment both toys will be paid off.

2004972482364688824_rs.jpg

I know how you feel, I just bought two 4-wheelers, one being a 06 King Quad 500 4x4 and an Artic Cat 325 4x4. On top of that I'm looking at picking up a new 2008 Ford Superduty since they released the specs a couple days ago.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited October 30, 2006
    Only one piece of advice. Just be careful with the credit thing. It can
    mess you up in a hurry.

Looks like a lot of fun. Me? Motorcycles. I totally dig riding. Especially
    trips to places I've not been before. This summer, I went to Colorado
    with my budds. That was a ton of fun.

Quads and camping in the National Forests is prolly a lot of fun too.

Keep the rubber side down and have a great time with your new toy!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?