30D early observations

justMEjustME Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
edited November 5, 2006 in Cameras
I'm always happy with B&H and their good service. I've spent some $$ there and they are friendly, helpful and reliable. For what it's worth -B&H star rating from me.
UPS didn't come until after 7 pm last night so I haven't had too much time to play. I did load the software and then did the -firmware- upgrade this morning. That was tense and made me sweat but I did it!
My gosh that stupid strap! I'd forgotten how dumb the design is. I swore when I put that on the 300D I'd replace it, but never did. It's ridiculous to put on but will say that it never so much as slipped a centimeter in 2.5 years.
The 30D feels great in the hand and it's amazing how familiar I am with it. The dials, knobs, screen, etc are all similar to the 300D. From the few shots I've done I think the 30D is more responsive, faster and more intuitive if that makes sense.
Today I'll get out and fill up some cards then I'll know more. Right now I'm thrilled and a happy owner. p.s. wouldn't want to drop this on my toe!
Canon EOS 30D & 50D
Arizona, USA
http://justineolson.smugmug.com/

..........................................................................................

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    Congrats on your new toy.

The 30D is one of three on my "to get" list. I think you'll find that you really like the almost immediate on vice the 5-10 second wake-up time for the 300D. For me, that one feature ranks in the top 10 improvements of the 20D/30D over the 300D. There are lots of other features that rank in the top ten (a lot more than just ten), but you'll find them in time!
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    Great early review. I think a lot of us Rebel shooters think about moving up from time to time. I would really apprecaite it if you continued to discuss you path to discovery of the differences.

I have a Rebel 350D, so I am probably waiting for the 40D to come out to upgrade. But I have to admit - I wish I could understand the differences a little better.
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    Congrats on the new toy! I recently underwent "the Change" also from the 300D to the 30D and I am completely blown away. I miss my old 1st generation Rebel dearly because it taught me so much, but almost every aspiring photographer has got the itch to upgrade, eventually.

Happy shooting!
  • controldcontrold Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    Zanotti wrote:
    I have a Rebel 350D, so I am probably waiting for the 40D to come out to upgrade. But I have to admit - I wish I could understand the differences a little better.

Do you have at timeline on this or just speculating? I am considering a move from my 10D to a 30D and wondering if I should wait it out a bit if a new rig will push down the price on the 30D?

- Mike
    http://mikeapted.smugmug.com/

Canon 30D | 10D
    Canon 10-22 | 28-135 f3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f4L | 100-400 f4-5.6L
    Canon Speedlight 580EX
    Kenko Extension Tubes
  • GtogsGtogs Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    controld wrote:
    Do you have at timeline on this or just speculating? I am considering a move from my 10D to a 30D and wondering if I should wait it out a bit if a new rig will push down the price on the 30D?

- Mike

You won't see an upgrade to the 30D until February 2007 at the earliest. That would be a year after introduction and normal time between upgrades is 18 months.
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2006
    I think you'll find that you really like the almost immediate on vice the 5-10 second wake-up time for the 300D.

It's about a 3sec wake-up time. It just feels like it's longer :-).

Regarding the strap quality, I also hated the Canon strap on both the 300D and 30D. I use a couple different Tamrac straps; my favorite has a leather strap cover and two cases for CF cards. The real feature of the strap is quick disconnect.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • bigfredtnbigfredtn Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2006
    I made the jump from a 300d to a 30d. I wish I would have made the move sooner. It is a world of difference between the two cameras.

If someone is looking to upgrade from a 300d, do it and you will be happy.
    BigFredTN
    Memphis area (Wish I were back in East TN)
    Canon 30D
    Canon Digital Rebel 300D(My 1st DSLR)
    Canon G3 (a very good P&S)
    Canon 85 1.8
    Canon 18-55 kit lens
    Sigma 70-200 2.8
    Sigma 2x converter
    Tamaron 28-75 2.8
    Tamaron 17-50 2.8
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2006
    jimf wrote:
    Regarding the strap quality, I also hated the Canon strap on both the 300D and 30D. I use a couple different Tamrac straps; my favorite has a leather strap cover and two cases for CF cards. The real feature of the strap is quick disconnect.

You go to wally world and try out a Crooked Horn Outfitters bino system....no more pulling on the neck and you can adjust where the camera lays on your chest...the elastic type straps give a more stability to the shots.....really like my 2......

clik on the yelow link above and watch the video....

The 2 I have are attached to KM 7D's one with a sigma 24 - 70 2.8 and the other is a sigma 70 - 200 2.8.....I have just for fun had both on at the same time with the 24-70 outfit above the 70-200......now if you had to run or walk really rough terrain the n this would not be a good way to carry the cameras...however with the clips on them the cameras can be changed out quickly.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• justMEjustME Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2006
    Up-Date II
    I'm now 255 shots into the 30D. It's fantastic, I love it. So sorry I didn't make the move sooner. I understand now why all the 10-20D folks have been raving!
    I will post a gallery this weekend(hope too)and post here when it's up. I don't have the time to get post processing done right now.
    I know someone will say I'm wrong, and I might be but I feel as if my
    Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro for Canon is working better on this 30D then it did on the 300D.
    Okay maybe it's because this camera is so fast.
    It is fast. No more waiting for the blinking red light while the shot finishes loading. (I only shoot raw) Everything is fast. The four way arrows on the back of the 300D is gone. A new wheel makes moving through the menu fast and easy. Also the viewing screen is larger.
    Doesn't' seem to be a battery hog about the same as the 300D. I'm using a 2 GB Ultra II.
    The on/off switch is different and I'll admit it's taking me some time to find it and flip it the right way. That will come in time.
    Okay back when the gallery is up.
    p.s. don't forget that Canon rebate is in full swing right so it's a good time to plunk down the $.thumb.gif

Canon EOS 30D & 50D
    Arizona, USA

..........................................................................................
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    My 30D is a tad, just a tad, but even my husband noticed, spontaneously, no prompting, the shutter is a tad quieter in the 30D than it is in the 20D.

Also, I had read that the larger screen was just more screen to get dirty. Mine is plenty "nose printed", but also, it is easier to see the histogram and shoot.

Many little things add up to me being glad that when I had to get a new camera, I went with the 30D. And that was compared to the 20D. (replacement diff was two hundred dollars between a 20D and a 30D) I did not think that was bad. My hope is that they got some of the 20D bugs out in the 30D, plus I liked that they actually said how many actuations one should expect. It was actuations that did me in (a word I didn't even know until a few months ago).

A happy camper,

ginger (actuating again!!!!)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • justMEjustME Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    Your so right about the nose prints. It bugs me to have it smudged, like a PC monitor that's a mess! Nothing seems to prevent it.
    Tomorrow I'm going to the Botanical Gardens and then the International Motorcycle show in PHX. It's going to be a click fest!
    I think the 30D is great and it's a fun camera to use.
    106714253-L.jpg
    Canon EOS 30D & 50D
    Arizona, USA

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    , the shutter is a tad quieter in the 30D than it is in the 20D.
    Just fired off a few shots with my new 30D & its a LOT quieter i recon. Almost like its muffled compared to the 20D. And that huge rear screen appears to show colour a lot better.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Just fired off a few shots with my new 30D & its a LOT quieter i recon. Almost like its muffled compared to the 20D. And that huge rear screen appears to show colour a lot better.
    I got my 30D two days ago and fired off some test shots around the house. I concur - it's a lot quiter, LCD attracts a lot more nose smudge (oil) than the 20D. I have also noticed that the 30D seems to focus faster than the 20D in low light situations, using the same lens.
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    I got my 30D two days ago and fired off some test shots around the house. I concur - it's a lot quiter, LCD attracts a lot more nose smudge (oil) than the 20D. I have also noticed that the 30D seems to focus faster than the 20D in low light situations, using the same lens.
    The LCD I'm not so worried about, but after a week and a half I've got my first spec of dust/smudge on the sensor.

Not that it matters, but I'm trying to figure out if it's been there all along. I've mostly been shooting with large apertures.

Edit: That's a 100% crop of some cloudy sky. It's not real obvious, but it's there (both lenses).