Options

Domains and Joker Question

jcmarneyjcmarney Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited March 10, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I am trying to set up the domain www.marneyphoto.com to point to smugmug. When I go to change the CName on jokes site though, I get the following error:

It is not allowed to create a 'CNAME' record if an 'A' record with the same name exists. First delete the 'A' record.

So do I just delete the A records and input the Cname? Just wanted to check in before I proceed.

Thanks!

Joe

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    jcmarney wrote:
    I am trying to set up the domain www.marneyphoto.com to point to smugmug. When I go to change the CName on jokes site though, I get the following error:

It is not allowed to create a 'CNAME' record if an 'A' record with the same name exists. First delete the 'A' record.

So do I just delete the A records and input the Cname? Just wanted to check in before I proceed.

Thanks!

Joe

wave.gif welcome to Dgrin!

Delete the A record, and put the CNAME in. CNAME alias is

www.yourdomain.com cnamed to www.smugmug.com

A-record, that should be pointed to our IP address, as per our help page instructions:

Gotcha: Our IP address might change in the future, causing an A record to break. For this reason we suggest trying a CNAME record first.
    Our current IP address is 63.81.134.23

http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    I guess where I'm confused is that it seems to be either the A record or the CName, but can't do both for www.Marneyphoto.com, or I get the message telling me I have to delete the A record.

So am I okay deleting the A-record and JUST using the Cname? And will that work both with and without the "www"?

Thanks!

Joe

PS:Thanks for the detailed instructions for Joker, I'm just running into a little trouble at this step.
    Andy wrote:
    wave.gif welcome to Dgrin!

Delete the A record, and put the CNAME in. CNAME alias is

www.yourdomain.com cnamed to www.smugmug.com

A-record, that should be pointed to our IP address, as per our help page instructions:

Gotcha: Our IP address might change in the future, causing an A record to break. For this reason we suggest trying a CNAME record first.
    Our current IP address is 63.81.134.23

http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    jcmarney wrote:
    I guess where I'm confused is that it seems to be either the A record or the CName, but can't do both for www.Marneyphoto.com, or I get the message telling me I have to delete the A record.

So am I okay deleting the A-record and JUST using the Cname? And will that work both with and without the "www"?

Thanks!

Joe

PS:Thanks for the detailed instructions for Joker, I'm just running into a little trouble at this step.
    You can have both. Please send your login details for Joker.com to attn: Andy at help@smugmug.com and I'll sort you out asap :)
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    You can have both. Please send your login details for Joker.com to attn: Andy at help@smugmug.com and I'll sort you out asap :)

Thanks Andy. You guys are awesome!
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    jcmarney wrote:
    Thanks Andy. You guys are awesome!
    You're most welcome - it's all done. CNAME and A Record. wave.gif
  • Options
    cyan buddhacyan buddha Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 8, 2008
    Same Problem....
    I am having the exact same problem and I am too scaredy cat to delete anything for fear of REALLY screwing things up....can you walk me through obtaining a C-Name and keeping the A-Record?? Do I just delete both A-records and then create the C-Name and then add back in the A-record?? Very excited and so glad this incredible wealth of questions and answers are available to us clueless ones....

Thanks for your help!!

~Libbyrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Craig RidleyCraig Ridley Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    I am having the exact same problem and I am too scaredy cat to delete anything for fear of REALLY screwing things up....can you walk me through obtaining a C-Name and keeping the A-Record?? Do I just delete both A-records and then create the C-Name and then add back in the A-record?? Very excited and so glad this incredible wealth of questions and answers are available to us clueless ones....

Thanks for your help!!

~Libbyrolleyes1.gif

Have you followed these instructions --> http://www.smugmug.com/help/joker.mg

I followed them and had it up and working first time. I only have a C-Name record defined (no A-Record).
    My Site: http://www.craigridley.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/craigridleyoutdoorphotography

Want to save $5 on a smugmug account? Use this coupon code: WzG2eZLQPGrqI
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2008
    Have you followed these instructions --> http://www.smugmug.com/help/joker.mg

I followed them and had it up and working first time. I only have a C-Name record defined (no A-Record).

Hey Craig! I went through all of the steps and then when I got to #7...that's when I got the error message that I can not have a C-Name with an A-Record present...actually step 5 looks different on my end...I went to the box that says "Add New DNS/Service Record"...and from there I chose C-Name and clicked on add...which tok me to #6...and then I typed in my info just as it looks in the tutorial and I get this...→ "It is not allowed to create a 'CNAME' record if an 'A' record with the same name exists. First delete the 'A' record." Just wanted to make sure before proceeding that it's cool to delete the A Record...?? Does any of this makes sense??
    headscratch.gif
    Thanks for your help!!

~libby
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2008
    Hey Craig! I went through all of the steps and then when I got to #7...that's when I got the error message that I can not have a C-Name with an A-Record present...actually step 5 looks different on my end...I went to the box that says "Add New DNS/Service Record"...and from there I chose C-Name and clicked on add...which tok me to #6...and then I typed in my info just as it looks in the tutorial and I get this...→ "It is not allowed to create a 'CNAME' record if an 'A' record with the same name exists. First delete the 'A' record." Just wanted to make sure before proceeding that it's cool to delete the A Record...?? Does any of this makes sense??
    headscratch.gif
    Thanks for your help!!

~libby

I am certainly not an expert here, so hopefully one of the smugmug helpers can confirm if you are not willing to take the risk, but I believe you are correct in that you must delete the A-record and then create the c-name (to be honest, I would just do it as if it does not work you can always recreate the a-record).

I checked my settings and I do not have an A-record. Yes, my step 5 looks a little different, but once you select C-Name from the drop down, step 6 is identical, obviously with your own settings (I used "www" for sub-domain and "www.smugmug.com" for the alias).

I presume you were getting the error message at the end of step 6 and not step 7, as step 7 needs to be done back in the pro section of your smugmug account.

Hope this helps.

• Options
    edited March 10, 2008
    I am certainly not an expert here, so hopefully one of the smugmug helpers can confirm if you are not willing to take the risk, but I believe you are correct in that you must delete the A-record and then create the c-name (to be honest, I would just do it as if it does not work you can always recreate the a-record).

I checked my settings and I do not have an A-record. Yes, my step 5 looks a little different, but once you select C-Name from the drop down, step 6 is identical, obviously with your own settings (I used "www" for sub-domain and "www.smugmug.com" for the alias).

I presume you were getting the error message at the end of step 6 and not step 7, as step 7 needs to be done back in the pro section of your smugmug account.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much!! I was not sure about re-creating the A-record...and yeah I was planning on setting up my alias just as you did yours...the a-record it looks from the boards only directs you to the IP address...?? correct?? so as long as I have the "alias" they should always be directed to smugmug.com...I think I am getting it!! A-Ha moment here!!

thanks for your help!!

~Libby
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2008
    Thanks so much!! I was not sure about re-creating the A-record...and yeah I was planning on setting up my alias just as you did yours...the a-record it looks from the boards only directs you to the IP address...?? correct?? so as long as I have the "alias" they should always be directed to smugmug.com...I think I am getting it!! A-Ha moment here!!

thanks for your help!!

~Libby

Did it work?