Options

Scanning slides, negatives, prints etc

2»

Comments

• Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    I didn't see this thread until yesterday, but I figure I'd give it a try. I went through 2 old shoe boxes of prints and negatives, and pulled out all the negatives and I'm shipping them out today.

I don't mind sending these negatives, but I'm not sure about sending them some old (80+ years old) family pictures to scan.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    jojo123jojo123 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 28, 2007
    I got my dvds a week ago and even then they were sitting at UPS since I missed all three attempts for delivery. So I'm pretty sure they just processed the whole order, versus less the 10% I weeded out. It came out to just over six gigabytes for the 508 pictures. The photos varied in size according to how they were cropped, ranging from (more or less) 10-15MB each. I didn't have an issue with the cropping.

This sure beats the heck out of doing it myself, and at .19/neg is nothing to sneeze at. I copied all the photos to the hard drive for redundancy. My only gripe is seeing the picture of the ex on the dvd label... Doh! :uhoh I guess I can't blame Scancafe for that, they just picked two photos with people... but I can still gripe at having to look at her each time I pick up each dvd rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    Has anyone used scancafe's upload to photosharing service?

I couldn't figure out how that worked. ne_nau.gif

It would sure save me some time if scancafe uploaded the 800+ scanned images to smugmug for me.
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    Scott BuelScott Buel Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    Has anyone used scancafe's upload to photosharing service?

I couldn't figure out how that worked. ne_nau.gif

It would sure save me some time if scancafe uploaded the 800+ scanned images to smugmug for me.

I'm working with them right now and although I haven't used this feature, I may soon. I'll report back with my experience when it happens.
    Check out my galleries : scenes from the past

Scan Cafe: let the pros do it
  • Options
    BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    interesting
    So it looks like they won't do medium & large format.
    This is odd that we don't have more feedback on that company

BPmwink.gif
    :photo
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    No more photosharing site uploads (for now...)
    I just got the following response from scancafe about to my quesiton about photosharing uploads...
    Dear Mr. Gorohoff,

We stopped offering the upload service early this year due to the time it was taking to upload high resolution scans (each file being 15-20MB in size). We are working with the photo sharing companies to make this a faster process. It will take at least 3-4 months to re-launch this service. Until then, we are not offering uploads and have updated our website correspondingly.
    You may, however, once you receive your images on a DVD or CD-R upload them to the photo sharing site of your choice. You will have to save your images onto your hard drive, then upload them as you please.
    Thank you for your inquiry!

Melissa
    ScanCafe Support

Maybe they should buy a copy of starexplorer rolleyes1.gif
    Andrew

• Options
    wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    I just got the following response from scancafe about to my quesiton about photosharing uploads...

Maybe they should buy a copy of starexplorer rolleyes1.gif

Or perhaps a sitewide license. :D
  • Options
    RebelXTRebelXT Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 30, 2007
    Got my 2nd set of DVDs back from Scancafe. This time I sent them ~3000 negative strips. What I liked most was the amount of manual re-touch work they put in to restore my B&W negatives since the automated digital ICE does not work on silver halide coated films.

love it. I am all digital now...all my old pics are archived.
    wellman wrote:
    Or perhaps a sitewide license. :D
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2007
    I got my scans
    3 DVDs worth of scanned 35mm negatives. Unfortunately the majority of the images are larger than the smugmug limit of 16MB for Pro Accounts (a limit I thought I would never hit).

The scans look great though.
    Andrew

• Options
    RufusShawRufusShaw Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 16, 2007
    16mb?
    I am just getting my first 1000 scans back from scancafe, and I sent off another 3000. I'm a little nervous now that greenpea has said that his are 16mb? I'm surprised that they are that large, but didn't put much thought into it. Will I need to resize all of my scans in order to upload them?
    As far as the quality goes, they looked great online, and I will let you know how they look when I get them. I had bought a scanner and was going to do this myself, but found that it is no easy task, and at 19C had to go with scancafe. I'll have some uploaded in a week and will post the link.
    Rufus
  • Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Maybe I missed it in this long thread, but can someone post a gallery of the results from these guys?
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2007
    quark wrote:
    Maybe I missed it in this long thread, but can someone post a gallery of the results from these guys?

I'm posting this for you to check out what I got back, but please no comments about the quality of the subject matter. These are random negatives I found in a shoe box, I wasn't even sure what was on a lot of these negatives. The pictures span 20+ years and are in no particular order.

Here ya go

3 comments about scancafe: It takes a while for them to complete the scans (couple months), the files are really REALLY big...I had to downsize a few in order to be able to upload them to smugmug, they use to offer a direct upload to smugmug service, but at the time I had my pictures completed that service was no longer being offered.
    Andrew

• Options
    akandrewsakandrews Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    Hi. Checking in about ScanCafe - still positive experiences out there? Has anybody used the tiff option, the hard drive option, or the 4000 dpi slide option?

I am getting ready to send batches of slides and thought I would see how it's been going.

thanks.
  • Options
    Ham1Ham1 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Using Digital Pickle
    Hey everyone,

I have just received my order back from Digital Pickle. They are officially part of our ClubSmug program. www.smugmug.com/clubsmug

I would like to personally try out BritePix as well, but Digital Pickle is right here in the Bay Area and it is very convenient.

I had them convert my miniDV's to DVD and I had them scan 1000+ photos and put them on a CD. (Since I work for SmugMug, I didn't use their auto uploading to SmugMug feature, but I would have if not)

Anyway, everything was very slick and quality is great. I choose only 300 dpi scanning and it was cheap (9 cents) and I am not planning on doing much with these old photos.

I dropped off the photos at a local PostNet and when they were done, they emailed me and I went and picked them up! thumb.gif

Markham
  • Options
    Scott BuelScott Buel Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2007
    quark wrote:

08.jpg

05.jpg

04.jpg

02.jpg

Here are a few examples of some of ScanCafe's excellent work. I received my first 2,000 (of approx. 50,000) images back on an external hard drive in TIFFs. You can check out my galleries at http://photos.smugmug.com for more examples. The scans came back even better than I was expecting. I haven't seen any color stuff yet, but as I get deeper into the digitization process, I'll have some color images coming back my way and I'll post them.

By the way, they have been extremely communicative throughout the entire process and are very prompt at answering all of my questions. For the price and the level of customer service, these guys can't be beat.

Just to keep this on the level, I should disclose that I have been so happy with their service and the quality of the people at ScanCafe, when they asked me to participate in an advetorial for October's issue of Popular Photography, I took them up on it. The skeptical amongst you might say, "Well, of course then he's going to say great things about them!", but I can honestly say that I was going to post a positive review before they asked me to participate in the Popular Photography ad.

Regardless, the proof is in the pudding and you can see that proof above. Regarding the image restoration, the "befores" might be simple fixes for some of you PS whiz-kids, but because of my day job and my lack of PS skill, I am simply amazed with the "afters" and am happy they supply this value-added service.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Check out my galleries : scenes from the past

Scan Cafe: let the pros do it
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Any updates over the past few months?

I'm probably getting ready to send them a few batches...

I guess they never decided to re-launch the auto-upload-to-smugmug feature, but do we still get a discount there?

edit - found some updates here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=77599
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    jhelms wrote:
    Any updates over the past few months?

I'm probably getting ready to send them a few batches...

I guess they never decided to re-launch the auto-upload-to-smugmug feature, but do we still get a discount there?

edit - found some updates here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=77599

Good experiences for me with ScanCafe. Just got a small batch back this week. Turnaround is a bit slow, but quality and price are good. SmugMug discount code is SMUG15.
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    wellman wrote:
    Good experiences for me with ScanCafe. Just got a small batch back this week. Turnaround is a bit slow, but quality and price are good. SmugMug discount code is SMUG15.

Cool - on a similar note does anyone have any suggestions about getting some old 8mm / Super8 and VHS and DV tapes converted over to digital? preferable to high def

I started a new thread about it here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=96701
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    Are there still good reports or are some other companies taking over and doing the same sort of work, but faster? I see prices have increased a bit since they first launched -- mostly I've 120 and 35mm used in a Holga (so it's exposed beyond the reel holes), and need/want them scanned in for later printing. But waiting a few MONTHS to get stuff back? I totally understand this for older archival stuff, but not newer 'this is how I gotta post-process from the camera' steps.

bueller?
    //Leah
  • Options
    AsafAsaf Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 18, 2009
    any updates on scansafe? folks still using them recently?

What's the turnaround these days?
    Is the TIFF option or the pro res option worthwhile?

Thanks.
  • Options
    PamelaSDPamelaSD Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    Asaf wrote:
    any updates on scansafe? folks still using them recently?

What's the turnaround these days?
    Is the TIFF option or the pro res option worthwhile?

Thanks.

Hi Asaf,

I'd like to introduce ScanDigital, SmugMug's new service partner for photo conversion and video and film transfers to you. We're thrilled to be a part of the SmugMug family and encourage you to read about us here: http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/2009/11/13/utf-8-keywords-scandigital/

Our turnaround time for an average order is about 1 week for photo orders and 2-3 weeks for film and video. Larger orders do take more time, but you are welcome to call our customer service team who will be happy to quote you a time deadline.

ScanDigital does offer the option for TIFF or JPEG files at no additional cost. Only difference I should note is that TIFF files are returned unedited. You can also request both file formats if you'd prefer.

Please let me know if you have any questions- I'm happy to help!

Pamela
    Pamela Weiss
    Director of PR & Marketing
    ScanDigital

www.scandigital.com
    Twitter: @PamelaSD and @ScanDigital
    Facebook: Become a fan!