edited November 2, 2006 in People
106000418-L.jpg

106002289-L.jpg

106001089-L.jpg

106004098-L.jpg

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    I would venture to say if a guy is able to take off his shoes during October in Chicago, the sun must be shining!!! As always, your B&W conversions are awesome. Good work! thumb.gif
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 29, 2006
    Thanks.

It was an odd day yesterday. Bright sun and 45 degrees with 40 mph winds. Of you were in the sun protected from the wind is was close to 60 degrees, if you were in the shade in the wind it was in the 20's. The sky however was unreal (Sears Tower shot in the other thread).

The subject is the same man that was in my "Stillness" pic. I seem to see him almost every day now.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Thanks.

It was an odd day yesterday. Bright sun and 45 degrees with 40 mph winds. Of you were in the sun protected from the wind is was close to 60 degrees, if you were in the shade in the wind it was in the 20's. The sky however was unreal (Sears Tower shot in the other thread).

The subject is the same man that was in my "Stillness" pic. I seem to see him almost every day now.
    As Susan has already said, your B&W conversions are just superb!

Do you offer him a buck or two for "allowing" you to photograph him. He's been very cooperative and would probably appreciate the consideration. Just wondering and certainly not criticizing (sp?).
    edited October 29, 2006
    As Susan has already said, your B&W conversions are just superb!

Do you offer him a buck or two for "allowing" you to photograph him. He's been very cooperative and would probably appreciate the consideration. Just wondering and certainly not criticizing (sp?).

Thanks, I think B&W conversions are simpler than most people wan them to be. I don't use any 30 step actions. It's all done in RAW conversion (lightroom now has a really nice curve adjustment) and then I'll add a warming or sepia filter in PS. I think many folks complicate the process for no reason.

I do give the guys in my hood some cash but it depends on the day. (I've also been bringing them clothes every winter for the last 8 years.) It's never every time I see them and usually it has more to do with the weather or how much I'm actually in their face shooting. Many times they have no idea I'm even there, but my comfort level shooting them (especially with the 10-22) stems from the "relationship" I've built over the months. I'm just another part of the streetscape now, my camera is not a threat to them because I do respect their wishes.

There days when I never even raise my camera up as you can just tell it's no the right time. Most of my street pics are shot within a 10 sq. block area around my loft so you get to know the nuances of this area after a while. I think you sort of have to take what the city is giving you on any given day. Before I walked with the camera, I walked the same streets with my dog (RIP) and I really think that time "wandering" with him helped me become a part of the streetscape and to see the streets with a different eye. Dog walking is a directionless and destinationless endeavor. There is no time frame, no goal other than to walk. I think it allowed me to see the subtle changes from day to day over the years. It connected me to a world outside my door that most people just walk right on by.
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    Hi, I just think the very first one is just great thumb.gif
    black & white conversion seems well balanced. Nice job!

In the meantime – sorry I might sound harsh ne_nau.gif –, I do think other featured pictures are just "shots". Nothing more. They look like a guy in a picture, that's all. Nothing much, to me…

But photography is all about it: I remember seeing some Raymond Depardon's contact sheet… All the pictures were off the subject… but one. One really great that became famous.

I would say you can throw away all your pictures away… except one that says everything. thumb.gif Showing all the five pictures is like wanting to say way too much… ;)
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
    edited October 29, 2006
    Thanks Antoine. I'm glad you like the first image so much but the reality is that while one image may speak strongly to you, another might do the same thing for someone else. Personally I think the first image suffers from the super wide angle bringing in too much of the scene in the upper corners. While the other images, especially when viewed with shots of the same man from other shoots help to tell a bigger story.

90851473-L-5.jpg

106013269-L.jpg

103821577-L-5.jpg
    edited October 29, 2006
    chad-

these are great-

I like the exposure on these compared to the ones recently where the guy was standing in the street-

the one where he is lying down in the window sill? is fantastic-

I love it!-

great job!-
    edited October 29, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Thanks Antoine. I'm glad you like the first image so much but the reality is that while one image may speak strongly to you, another might do the same thing for someone else.

hum, I hope I don't sound patronizing :D but I think you don't think "right". I mean: the photography is all about choice then… you'd better be right when choosing :D

It's been a few months since I'm working as a professionnal and this is my biggest fear: did I choose the "good" image? Well, I'm never sure… but the whole point is to chose the one that will communicate your feeling. No matter which one other "like"…

For instance, it's not that I like your first picture, it's more like I (or somedody else :D ) "feel" it. It just works.
    truth wrote:
    Personally I think the first image suffers from the super wide angle bringing in too much of the scene in the upper corners.

"suffer"? What do you mean? Well, talking about angle, I'd say the right-bottom angle is little bit more annoying than the upper ones, from that view.
    truth wrote:
    While the other images, especially when viewed with shots of the same man from other shoots help to tell a bigger story.

Hum… I don't really think so: it tells something, sure, but not really much more. They are no "necessary pictures". Not bad ones, but not necessary either. In fact, I'd say they bring "noise" to the whole thing. They are disturbing. rolleyes1.gif

By the way : while "chad spector" stay quite discreet on the picture, i think the "truth.smugmug.com" written in the middle of the image "destroys" it. :cry
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
    edited October 29, 2006
    AntoineD wrote:
    hum, I hope I don't sound patronizing :D but I think you don't think "right". I mean: the photography is all about choice then… you'd better be right when choosing :D

It's been a few months since I'm working as a professionnal and this is my biggest fear: did I choose the "good" image? Well, I'm never sure… but the whole point is to chose the one that will communicate your feeling. No matter which one other "like"…

For instance, it's not that I like your first picture, it's more like I (or somedody else :D ) "feel" it. It just works.

"suffer"? What do you mean? Well, talking about angle, I'd say the right-bottom angle is little bit more annoying than the upper ones, from that view.

Hum… I don't really think so: it tells something, sure, but not really much more. They are no "necessary pictures". Not bad ones, but not necessary either. In fact, I'd say they bring "noise" to the whole thing. They are disturbing. rolleyes1.gif

By the way : while "chad spector" stay quite discreet on the picture, i think the "truth.smugmug.com" written in the middle of the image "destroys" it. :cry

Jeeze, I was totally trying to give you a graceful exit from coming off like a total jackass. It won't happen again.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    great series !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    I loved all the photos; also good to read that you provide clothing (that's wonderful thumb.gif ). I truly understand why you put the watermark on your photos - it didn't even occur to me that it was on until someone made a comment...I tend to look beyong a watermark and look at the whole pic.

Thanks for posting...hope I get to see more of your work.

Seneca
    edited October 29, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Jeeze, I was totally trying to give you a graceful exit from coming off like a total jackass. It won't happen again.

wow… this is… well, not nice. I thought those images were open to constructive (at least I tought so) comments.

Guess I'm not the only jackass here rolleyes1.gif

Or maybe my English – I'm french – got wrong…
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    I really like the first and last one. I find the first one really gives the scale well and i'm not distubed by the light corners from the wide angle. (But I can see why some would be.)

The last one give you better peek into him from a closer view. You see his roughness and the disheleveled clothes, which you don't see as well in the first.

I find that I'm just staring at his shoes in the second one. If they were the focus of the shot, that would be one thing, but they don't seem to be.

In the third one, I feel like i'm sneaking up on him rather than capturing him. I do like how you captured his feet without shoes in this one, but I'm not wild about the angle of the shot.

As for the series you posted further down, think the gives a great insight into his life - obviously taken at different times and in different ways. Comparing the similar shots from the first series, photo #3, and the second series, photo #2, I really like the shot in your second series much better. That angle doesn't have me feel like I'm sneaking up on him!

Very thought provoking and some great shots! Looks like you're enjoying your wide angle lens!
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    truth wrote:

Truth, I really think that you need to chalk up your misunderstanding with Antoine as a language issue, and you need to play nice with him. I get that he is really trying to discuss photography with you, and not just stay on the superficial "I like it" comments that are so common. Cut him some slack, mend your fences, and start over.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited October 29, 2006
    Photogmamma you have it nailed. I was sneaking up on him, albeit with a 200mm lens. After I shot the wide angle pics I moved further into the city hoping to catch an anit war rally that never happened. There were 200 cops with no one to harass milling about Picasso's Flamingo. Funny in it's own right but nothing worth shooting. I was heading back to the spot where I shot the wide angle pics andd figured I'd swap to the long lens on the chance that he was still there. He was and his barefoot feet were something new and had to be captured. I was trying not to wake him so there is a sneaky aspect to the shots.

As far as the second shot being foot focused, chalk that up to exploring the wide angle lens. I figured I'd post them all as I felt they all have different merits. Thanks to Antoine I now know that this is not possible and that only one photo from any given shoot is worth sharing. Hoepfully I can pick out the correct photo every time in order to be able to continue posting images here.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Thanks to Antoine I now know that this is not possible and that only one photo from any given shoot is worth sharing. Hoepfully I can pick out the correct photo every time in order to be able to continue posting images here.

TOTALLY uncalled for. This is not how we act here on Dgrin. You are unnecessarily provoking a fight here. Leave it alone, or the moderators will be forced to take action.

Let the photos speak for themselves. Take criticism, for what it's worth. Use it, or not. Be sensitive to language differences. For crying out loud, the poster used many smilies when he first responded, yet you're looking for a fight. Please, this is not what we're about.
    edited October 30, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Truth, I really think that you need to chalk up your misunderstanding with Antoine as a language issue, and you need to play nice with him. I get that he is really trying to discuss photography with you, and not just stay on the superficial "I like it" comments that are so common. Cut him some slack, mend your fences, and start over.

Which I trully meant. It's was all about photography, at least this is why I registered here at dgrin. thumb.gif

'Truth', I apologize for being …this way (I don't find the good word :D), I now know I shall not comment on your pictures, that's all ;)

I'm new here, but I know the way I write sometimes seems harsh or something, for I always want to go deeper and deeper. This is how I do improve my own photos: by listening to some very harsh comments :cry

I didn't mean to be a A**H****. ne_nau.gif

Anyway, debate's over for me on this one thread, have a nice day everyone thumb.gif

I'll now ask if bada** comments are allowed :D
  • judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    truth wrote:

106001089-L.jpg

Hey Chad, this one's amazing in my humble opinion. Really amazing. Great shot!
    Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
    That saved a wretch like me!
    I once was lost, but now am found;
    Was blind, but now I see.

http://judah.smugmug.com/
    edited October 31, 2006
    Thanks Judah. If only I had the talent to do that with film.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Really amazing stuff. For me the most amazing thigns comes from your ability to "see" these pictures, and interact with your subjects. Me, I've always been an introvert, and it can be hard for me to get out tehre and interact with my environment and other people. I think this is why street photography seems so amazing. It is an aspect of photography that I'm just not any good at. At least not yet! :D

Anyways, good stuff! Thanks for the pics.
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Great stuff. I especially like the first and the third one.
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Truth....nice shots. They don't reach out and grab me, but who cares? They do look good though. On another note...you crack me up.rolleyes1.gif

One week you are almost bannedeek7.gif , the next you are winning a challengeclap.gif , then back to being warnedeek7.gif .....very entertaining.:D

I hope you don't get banned, because I do like seeing how you see Chicago, since I only see it occassionally. Just remember not everyone will like what you shoot/post.......but who cares? ne_nau.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited November 2, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    Truth....nice shots. They don't reach out and grab me, but who cares? They do look good though. On another note...you crack me up.rolleyes1.gif

One week you are almost bannedeek7.gif , the next you are winning a challengeclap.gif , then back to being warnedeek7.gif .....very entertaining.:D

I hope you don't get banned, because I do like seeing how you see Chicago, since I only see it occassionally. Just remember not everyone will like what you shoot/post.......but who cares? ne_nau.gif

Thanks Jeffro. I sometimes forget whose sandbox I'm playing in. In other neighborhoods the kids like to play a bit rougher.