Pleasing skin tones - No Cyan?

BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
edited October 30, 2006 in Finishing School
Hi! I just got my first order of prints, so i'm going through and trying to adjust skin-tones, and lo and behold they show 0% cyan! both magenta and yellow are in acceptable ranges, but it just doesn't make sense...

I'm using gimp, so i'm wondering if that has an effect, I don't think it should, but who knows...

example pic is here: http://bendr.smugmug.com/gallery/2020656/2/104705457

104705457-L.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ben

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    17-30% cyan already
    Bendr wrote:
    Hi! I just got my first order of prints, so i'm going through and trying to adjust skin-tones, and lo and behold they show 0% cyan! both magenta and yellow are in acceptable ranges, but it just doesn't make sense...

I'm using gimp, so i'm wondering if that has an effect, I don't think it should, but who knows...

104705457-L.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Ben
    Something is wrong with the way you are measuring the cyan because I see 17-30% cyan on the face in this image in Photoshop. Some tweaks can improve it a bit more, but it's already in an acceptable range.

Here's a slightly modified version where I added a little red and green in the mid-tones of the skin (how much to do here is personal taste), brightend the face a bit, used the healing brush on various skin blemishes, applied some light sharpening and cropped a little tighter:
    106105441-O.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    Ok, Thanks!!!

I had a feeling it had to do with gimp... I was noting that it was happening an awfull lot... now to find a way to do it...

It looks like my image can still use a bit of adjustment, i'll have to go back to the raw real quick...
    and I hadn't thought of cloning out blemishes, that's a good idea

Thanks again!
    Ben
  • edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    Bendr wrote:

104705457-L.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Ben

Truth is, you have way too much cyan, which is why there is no highlight detail in the image. I'm reading 20+C and 40 or so M and Y.

I pulled down the cyan values in the red channel, and added some contast moves to bring out face detail. I'm reading 9C, 33M, 36Y in the cheek here, still not perfect but within skin tone range.

skintones_rev.jpg
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski
  • 1andyw1andyw Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    Will you recommend a tutorial that teaches the approach you folks are using in this instance?

Thanks,

AndyW
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    skin tone tutorial
    1andyw wrote:
    Will you recommend a tutorial that teaches the approach you folks are using in this instance?

You can start here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/skin-tone.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • 1andyw1andyw Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    Thank you, John. Excellent!