ISO 400
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    Hiya cmr wave.gif

Where are you?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Hiya cmr wave.gif

Where are you?
    I was in Butuan and Surigao for the above pics. Other pics might be from Cebu where I actually rented a house for a year so I will be going back in a few weeks.

Here is a friend's child. Her name is "Amore", somehow fitting. This is from Cebu.
  • yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    70mm
    1/512
    f5.6
    ISO 400
    The old guy smiling is my fave.
    edited December 23, 2004
    yvonne wrote:
    The old guy smiling is my fave.
    Yvonne, I have noticed your brutal honesty in other critiques and would actually appreciate it if you aimed that critical and accurate eye at my shots here or in any thread. My biggest complaint here is that everyone is too nice in their critiques.

Oh yea... I am right with you on your philosophy as regards 'shopping.
    edited December 23, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Yvonne, I have noticed your brutal honesty in other critiques and would actually appreciate it if you aimed that critical and accurate eye at my shots here or in any thread. My biggest complaint here is that everyone is too nice in their critiques.

Oh dear... you may have noticed that I deleted the comments that I think you're referring to, before the "main crowd over the pond" get in, as I might have been a bit forthright and this is quite a touchy, feely, supportive forum. Don't want to cause offense.

But since you ask for it....rolleyes1.gif Ok, my thoughts on your shots are:

Picture one:
    Kids looking miserable can be sweet and sympathy evoking, but this kid just looks mis. full stop. I think it's to do with a lack of catchlight in the eyes. They look a bit dead. Also, if you work along the rule of thirds principle, then where is the viewer supposed to look? I would probably have gone for a crop that gave a little more of a focal point like maybe (that's if the eyes had some light):

It seems I can only upload one per mail, so I'll do them individually.
    edited December 23, 2004
    Picture 2 and 3
    cmr164 wrote:

I like the smiley guy as I said before. I think the light is a little flat though. I would probably use photoshop to add a little warmth. I think's hes got a great look, but again, I think it might benefit from a bit of cropping to make those fabulous eyes more of a focal point. When shooting (given the option) I would probably have pulled back a bit to get more in the "under chin" area. Or if I didn't have a choice, then I would've forfeited some of the cap for having the eyes higher.

Picture 3

Cute kid, but no part of that photo is in focus, so i would discard it on that basis.

Picture 4.

I like this shot. She's cute, the eyes work well, but you've got problems with flare behind her head. You could try a graduated filter layer to tone down the brightness of the top of the shot (i'm not great at that sort of manipulation as I tend to reduce manipulation to a minimum (for reasons mentioned before), or again, you could crop hard. As you might've guessed that would be my preference.

The other problem you have is that there is a lot of clutter in the shot, visually, which detract from just how cute she is and how great her face looks. Yes, here it comes again... CROP

That would be my feeling. But of course, this is utterly subjective, I am no more or less qualified to make that judgement than anyone else on here, but I guess if there's something doesn't work for me, I think it's better to say so than just to say "yeah, great, keep shooting". I would prefer people to be honest about my work too. Taste is obviously a personal thing, and such views ALWAYS need to be taken with a bit of a thick skin, but technical errors are technical errors. End of. If I simply don't like a shot at all, then I tend to just keep stumm.
    edited December 23, 2004
    or even as far as...
    or even as far as...
    edited December 24, 2004
    Here is an uncropped shot from Surigao. I am open to suggestions. I like the current framing but...

ISO400
    70mm
    1/250th
    f5.0
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Here is an uncropped shot from Surigao. I am open to suggestions. I like the current framing but...

ISO400
    70mm
    1/250th
    f5.0
    Really nice Charles!!! The framing is fine...
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2004
    Oh yvonne...I love your brutal honesty. just don't look at any of my pics, okay? :lol
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 25, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Oh yvonne...I love your brutal honesty. just don't look at any of my pics, okay? :lol

I want to post a note of appreciation of Yvonne's comments as well. I think they were well thought out and constructive and will help cmr improve his images. And I think this is what he was requesting.

I agree with Charles that some times folks seem a little too reluctant to give straight forward answers to requests for constructive criticism. It is a fine line sometimes, and I think Yvonne did an excellent job of critcism and suggestions for improvement as well. Criticism - without helpful sugggestions can just be cheap shots , but her suggestions were dead on and informative and educational for myself and other readers as well.

Charles asked for suggestions for cropping of his last image.
    I have two alternatives to offer depending on what he wishes to emphasize. I think there were several competing subjects that caught his eye and that the image lacks a primary subject as a result. Like Yvonne said - CROP closer, and then CROP closer again. Good advice.
    I disagree with Damon who has an excellent eye, but it is my opinion that the child's image is not best served by being in the dead center of cmr's image.

My first try I tried to retain some of the colored cloth in the upper right and move the child to the right lower third - It looks like this. ( the images will be poor quality as I had to use the 800 pixel attachment displayed on dgrin)

13148339-M.jpg

It retains some of the warmth of the colored cloth, but...

Crop closer ( if you can ) and you get this which is more focused on the center of interest to my eye

13148342-M.jpg

I am very interested in alternative opinions that include suggestions for further improvement. Merry Christmas to All.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    Brutal honesty: I like the original crop, and that is a matter of controversy. In general, I don't think this crowd goes much for center cropping, so I would go with Pathfinder's first try where the distinguishing material is left in.

Pathfinder's last crop, well, it takes away the distinguishing characteristics of the setting, and makes it any poor child in a slum type situation.

On brutal honesty, I only want it when I ask for it. If I do ask for it, I don't think it serves any purpose to "make nice", then the person posts their photo on the Challenge and it never gets picked.

When I see something I think is going to get picked up as a flaw, I mention it. Usually. Then I often get jumped on as in the phrase, "ginger, it is beautiful, don't you see those shadows". I did not say another word.

I have said, over and over, that if possible, I like center placement over the rule of thirds, that is a quirk of mine, but I would never encourage somone to put something in the challenge that way. On that issue, I often don't notice as it is not a peeve of mine. So someone else has to pick up on that.

The photos Yvonne was referring to, I agree with her. Except, I am not sure what can be done re the last photo. The apron/pinnafore (sp) is distracting to me. Perhaps it would be better served in black and white or sepia. Not to cover a flaw, but to play to the photos strengths and minimize any weaknesses, most photos have them.

The smiley guy is a natural choice, but I thought there was something lacking. Maybe by playing with the lighting, that is a thought. Or a crop, I will try anything to get a basically good photo in, those teeth are great.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 25, 2004
    Sharing vs. critique
    Almost always, I am looking for comments that will improve my technique.
    Examples include those offered for cropping in my bird postings or Harry's
    comment regarding what makes a good bird photograph.

Many times, I'm not sure how to reply to a post. Whether the poster is
    looking for objective comments or acknowledgement matters to me and
    the last thing I really want to do is upset someone. The other part of
    making comments concerns how to effectively critique a photo--I know
    nothing other than what I like or don't like about a shot.

I've seen a lot of images that are nice but could be better in my own work
    and I feel the environment for constructive critique is better here than other
    forums.

A suggestion is to create a forum for critiques or perhaps add a key
    word in the subject to indicate you'd like constructive comments.

What other suggestions do folks have for critique?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Almost always, I am looking for comments that will improve my technique.
    Examples include those offered for cropping in my bird postings or Harry's
    comment regarding what makes a good bird photograph.

Many times, I'm not sure how to reply to a post. Whether the poster is
    looking for objective comments or acknowledgement matters to me and
    the last thing I really want to do is upset someone. The other part of
    making comments concerns how to effectively critique a photo--I know
    nothing other than what I like or don't like about a shot.

I've seen a lot of images that are nice but could be better in my own work
    and I feel the environment for constructive critique is better here than other
    forums.

A suggestion is to create a forum for critiques or perhaps add a key
    word in the subject to indicate you'd like constructive comments.

What other suggestions do folks have for critique?

Ian

Well, I don't usually want a real critique unless I ask for one, like if I am trying to decide something, or have a bad feeling. I will ask for brutal honesty when I want it.

On the other hand, if a horizon is off, oh other things that can be fixed, I don't mind someone saying that I might try this or that and see if I like it.

But a trash job, I am not looking for unless I ask. This is helpful, for instance. Lynn, the moderator, she oohed and aahed over a shot of mine (that is what I really want), then she suggested that I make the shadows darker) I bristled a bit, I am the sensitivie type, but she worked me through it, it was a minor repair with valuable information. If she had come in without the ooohing and aaahing that she is so good at, it might not have worked as well. I have noticed her doing that more and more lately, when she is online.

The rule for therapists is not to give advice unless asked for it. If it is given unasked for, the person who does the advising will usually get kicked in some way for giving the advice. There is a difference between the two questions, "Does this dress make me look fat", and the question, "which dress would you wear if you were me".

In giving advice, I would tread lightly. I don't usually............I am just giving you the advice I think you asked for, but I find it difficult to follow. I am not a teacher by nature. I don't praise things I don't like, but I usually find it difficult to trash something constructively that I don't like. I either ignore it, or do something else not very constructive.

I work kind of under the thing, "unless asked, don't tell". Unless I am bored and looking for something to do. Then uh oh.

ginger (I think all this can be put right in the threads we have now.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited December 25, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I want to post a note of appreciation of Yvonne's comments as well. I think they were well thought out and constructive and will help cmr improve his images. And I think this is what he was requesting.
    I appreciate all criticisms and even if I do not respond immediately I am mulling them over and thinking. Even if I do not agree, still I apreciate the criticisms as much or more than the attaboys. Although an attaboy that says specifically what is right with a shot does a lot in helping me better my technique.
    pathfinder wrote:
    I agree with Charles that some times folks seem a little too reluctant to give straight forward answers to requests for constructive criticism. It is a fine line sometimes, and I think Yvonne did an excellent job of critcism and suggestions for improvement as well. Criticism - without helpful sugggestions can just be cheap shots , but her suggestions were dead on and informative and educational for myself and other readers as well.
    I'll go further. Even if you can not formulate the constructive 'fix' still tell me you dislike a pic. I will not take it as a cheap shot!! Tell me what you can. Hey sometimes it is a lot easier to see what is wrong than to see the fix and too often I see folks making up fixes for shots that just aren't going to make it.
    pathfinder wrote:
    Charles asked for suggestions for cropping of his last image.
    I have two alternatives to offer depending on what he wishes to emphasize. I think there were several competing subjects that caught his eye and that the image lacks a primary subject as a result. Like Yvonne said - CROP closer, and then CROP closer again. Good advice.
    I disagree with Damon who has an excellent eye, but it is my opinion that the child's image is not best served by being in the dead center of cmr's image.
    Not sure I agree with you. The rule of 3rds can be a crutch that gets in the way....

pathfinder wrote:
    My first try I tried to retain some of the colored cloth in the upper right and move the child to the right lower third - It looks like this. ( the images will be poor quality as I had to use the 800 pixel attachment displayed on dgrin)

It retains some of the warmth of the colored cloth, but...

Crop closer ( if you can ) and you get this which is more focused on the center of interest to my eye

I am very interested in alternative opinions that include suggestions for further improvement. Merry Christmas to All.
    If the shot is to be not centered but still maintain the elements that I find key, maybe something like this:
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 25, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:

Not sure I agree with you. The rule of 3rds can be a crutch that gets in the way....

If the shot is to be not centered but still maintain the elements that I find key, maybe something like this:

I posted the previous crops because you explicitly asked for alternatives and they were not meant as criticisms but as alternatives that seemed to work visually for my eye. Actually I did not really think about the rule of thirds that much - It is true that generally I agree with the conventional thought that central placement frequently does not work that well. But like most rules in art, the rules can always be broken effectively sometimes. But sometimes also means "not usually", to me anyway.

I like your last crop Charles, I think it is a much stronger image than the first one with the hands in the lower left corner and I think it may be better than my first one on reflection.. I looked at that possibility on my screen, (retaining the rags or towels) when I chose to crop slightly further down on the superior margin - As I said in my post where and how you crop IS a function of what the artist choses to emphasize, as I am sure you are well aware.
    I preferred to concentrate more on the child and the cloth's above her head seemed to compete with the child's face for my attention so I eliminated them. You prefer to include them - perhaps to demonstrate more of her living environment - a very valid approach in portraiture.

I preferred my final crop as I thought the child was the primary subject irrespective of her social status. - Ginger seemed to like the child as a smaller central element with more depiction of life for a poor child in a tropical climate. I sometimes feel photos taken to demonstrate the harshness of life for some folks border on being exploitive. But that may just be a problem in my thinking. She is a lovely little child.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    The second photo of the old man catches my eye more than the others.
    edited December 25, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I posted the previous crops because you explicitly asked for alternatives and they were not meant as criticisms but as alternatives that seemed to work visually for my eye. Actually I did not really think about the rule of thirds that much - It is true that generally I agree with the conventional thought that central placement frequently does not work that well. But like most rules in art, the rules can always be broken effectively sometimes. But sometimes also means "not usually", to me anyway.
    Your first crop and my crop are pretty much the same and I should have pointed that out explicitly. I feel like the picture balances more in the original though. Maybe because there is a spiraling in to the child.
    pathfinder wrote:
    I like your last crop Charles, I think it is a much stronger image than the first one with the hands in the lower left corner and I think it may be better than my first one on reflection.. I looked at that possibility on my screen, (retaining the rags or towels) when I chose to crop slightly further down on the superior margin - As I said in my post where and how you crop IS a function of what the artist choses to emphasize, as I am sure you are well aware.
    I preferred to concentrate more on the child and the cloth's above her head seemed to compete with the child's face for my attention so I eliminated them. You prefer to include them - perhaps to demonstrate more of her living environment - a very valid approach in portraiture.

I preferred my final crop as I thought the child was the primary subject irrespective of her social status. - Ginger seemed to like the child as a smaller central element with more depiction of life for a poor child in a tropical climate. I sometimes feel photos taken to demonstrate the harshness of life for some folks border on being exploitive. But that may just be a problem in my thinking. She is a lovely little child.
    The picture does not demonstrate "the harshness of life". It is a child in her home leaning out an opening and as such shows the nature of life. I have lived in many countries and have been friends with high and low. People are just human beings and wealth matters not. Only character matters.

These people are somehow my people and I have only respect and liking for them. You will see the difference if you look at my pictures from Bermuda, Tahiti, Spain, Japan, etc. I have a house in the Philippines now and it is my home. I am in Boston just to settle affairs and sell off belongings. By August I will only have the house in Cebu.
    edited December 26, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    70mm
    1/512
    f5.6
    ISO 400
    Went back to the raw image, played with the exposure, brightness and saturation and came back with this uncropped image.