Abstract Photography! What's your opinion on this subject?

B://B:// Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
edited November 1, 2006 in Holy Macro
I like abstract photography for a very good and not so well fundamented reason, I like it because it describes a personal idea of a very complex feeling, I mean, it can be pretty subjective to the perspective though, but I like this kind of photography because it gives you a thousand options to compose it yourself. Hope to hear more from you, what do you think?
C&C Welcome

Smell Of A Lonely Man:
The_smell_of_a_lonely_man_by_Zeoneth.jpg

This one is supposed to be kind of minimalistic and abstract, but I think it can't be both at the same time, as minimalistic was conceptualized to replace abstract expressionism, although art can't be defined to me :D

Byron M.
"... anger, frustration, deception, loneliness are its meal... don't feed him" - Donatto on Zeoneth

Comments

• illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    To be honest with you, the shot is way to simple for me. The colors look good but its just way to simple. When I think of an abstract shot I think of something with leading lines and texture.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    B:// wrote:
    I like abstract photography for a very good and not so well fundamented reason, I like it because it describes a personal idea of a very complex feeling, I mean, it can be pretty subjective to the perspective though, but I like this kind of photography because it gives you a thousand options to compose it yourself. Hope to hear more from you, what do you think?
    C&C Welcome
    Smell Of A Lonely Man:
    This one is supposed to be kind of minimalistic and abstract, but I think it can't be both at the same time, as minimalistic was conceptualized to replace abstract expressionism, although art can't be defined to me :D

Byron M.

Hi there Bryon.........when your image opened I immediately thought of the Microsoft Windows Emblem ??

I don't particularly like abstract, it's just not my thing, maybe I fail to appreciate abstract...it's kind of like some poetry to me danged if I can understand it ....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    Very nice i liked colors of the shot but dont know what they mean as it is abstract ! i like abstract but i am not expert in understanding it !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    I have been attempting a few abstract things as well lately. I like your shot. I can't tell you why but I do... I think it's the geometry of it. I have always been a minimalist fan.
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • dlibrachdlibrach Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    Well...I love abstract photography! In fact, I would say that more than half (and almost all, these days) of my photography is abstract. At least, that is what I call it. I don't know what the true meaning of the word is and I'm sure there are many varying opinions. Kinda like debating "what is art?".

Many people do not understand abstract photography and as mentioned by Skippy (?), it often has the same connotations as poetry. I personally don't understand or tolerate poetry so I guess I can't fault anyone for having the same about abstract photography.

Just my $0.02....

Cheers,
    Dave
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    Simple but nice. Looks like jewels.
  • B://B:// Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    I think that the problem comes when you try to define abstract-abstraction of a concept/impersonal(point of view)/... having an intellectual and affective artistic content that depends solely on intrinsic form rather than on narrative content or pictorial representation.

... the consolidation of what you perceive as a personal/objective concept is the fix of that subjective visual idea printed on paper, the picture. As the original composition was only emotionally visualized by the author.

The photo is only the carrier of that thought through the conceptual elements that transmit the feeling, they're secondary to the technique. They get involved because they were the primary impression in the photographer's mind.

So how do you abstract and idea through visual elements without losing the main concept?
    Abstract is also defined by a dictionary as: Difficult to understand; abstruse:
    You can't keep the original idea inside the picture, that's why I think abstract photography gives you a thousand options to compose a photo.

I think that textures, lines, shapes and sizes just gives it the essence to abstract photography, as letters and words gives their properties to poetry. Hard to explain; simple to feel...

?=?
    ____No_2_by_Zeoneth.jpg

Post some examples from your abstract works here, I would like to see what you try to let me see.

Byron M.
    "... anger, frustration, deception, loneliness are its meal... don't feed him" - Donatto on Zeoneth
    edited October 31, 2006
    ?=? Z:-2

____by_Zeoneth.jpg

Byron M.
    edited October 31, 2006
    ?=? D:-Yagami

Iori_Yagami__s_Tribute__by_Zeoneth.jpg

You may think that this isn't that abstract at all, and maybe it is not, but I just thought of it as a tribute through simplicity to a great genius...

I need to stop listening IDM. That would explain a lot why I'm getting that simple and complex at the same time.

Byron M.
  • MadAnglesMadAngles Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 31, 2006
    I love abstract artwork, especially when it produces optical illusions. Here is a photo I shot with a cheap camera. They are untouched. I have since moved to a Canon Rebel XTi.

MadAnglesrolleyes1.gif
  • dlibrachdlibrach Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    B:// wrote:
    .......Post some examples from your abstract works here, I would like to see what you try to let me see.

Byron M.
    Sure, I'll play along.

Here are a couple of mine......

105613319-L.jpg102508365-L-4.jpg

Interesting definition of "abstract". Gotta read it a couple of times to fully understand, but I think I get what you are trying to say.

Cheers,
    Dave
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    To me, abstract is a lot like poetry. A great abstract is just plain awesome, and I can sit there and stare at it for a long time, but it's so undefined that a whole lot of people lump pictures into the abstract category that don't look abstract or even good to me at all. So I'm stuck saying "I like REAL abstracts," as if anyone knows what that is. rolleyes1.gif

Perhaps that sort of bad taste in my mouth associated with the style contributes to me not shooting abstract much, cause looking through my stuff, I can't think of a single good abstract that I've shot.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Ok Byron, I'm new at actually attempting abstract of my own (Though I have painted a few)...

Here's one from the weekend I like:
    105924174-M.jpg

And one from a few months ago:
    64274222-M.jpg
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
    edited November 1, 2006
    BigGrins
    Nice. I think someone cussed me out in an abstract way for posting my last photo. Your photo on the left makes me think about all the lost souls on the planet trying to find their place in a very cold world. Here is another one I did. Maybe someone else will extrapolate from the abstract that I am abstractly clueless. mwink.gif Maybe I am, but whether any photograph has merit seems to be in the eye of the beholder.
    edited November 1, 2006
    BigGrins
    Nice. I think someone cussed me out in an abstract way for posting my last photo. Your photo on the left makes me think about all the lost souls on the planet trying to find their place in a very cold world. Here is another one I did. Maybe someone else will extrapolate from the abstract that I am abstractly clueless. mwink.gif Maybe I am, but whether any photograph has merit seems to be in the eye of the beholder anyway. If it were any other way, how would it be appreciated?