Options

Shootout '07--Glacier--Transportation Thread

13»

Comments

• Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    :D When this thread first started and I thought that I could make it I searched for some flights from the east coast (Norfolk, Va.) and discovered that Air Tran flew at least to Las Vegas. I then found that Frontier airlines flew a shuttle, I believe to Billings. As I remember this save a couple hundred dollars or more from pricing some of the other airlines. Just trying to help, bsvirginian
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    Thanks for the Great Falls idea. It's only about $60 cheaper but I will have to see if that works. Do we know yet what time everyone is expecting to get in? I mean is there a timetable yet? It would help in planning flight times. headscratch.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    I'm sorry guys. I was really expecting Great Falls to be much cheaper. My wife and I travel back there each year, and generally the flights are pretty cheap from Dallas. Of course, I guess is all depends on when you are travelling, and how high the demand is.

James
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Has anyone begun organizing rental cars and car pooling? I'm checking rates and finding between $275 to $325 for an economy size car. Not my favorite size for travel, but from what I read taking on the Going To The Sun Road in anything bigger is asking for trouble. The added cost of a bigger car is also a consideration.

Has anyone driven the Sun Road before? Are the warnings about size of car accurate or hype?

If anyone is organizing, I am flying in to Kalispell on Sept. 24, arriving at 11PM local time. I'd like to hit the road early on Sept. 25 and spend most of the day on the Sun Road, getting in to St. Mary in late afternoon.

I have a 7:00AM flight out of Kalispell on Sept. 30 (thank you Priceline), so I am likely going to rent the car and I'm happy to take anyone back with early flights that day.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Hi Terrence

I'm sure if you rent a car, you will have passengers. Last shootout, people posted in the transport thread if they were willing to drive, and then others responded. It was that easy.

We drove Going to the Sun Road in 2001 in a Dodge Durango. No problems at all. You cannot take a travel trailer through, but you can take a motorhome. So a car shouldbe fine. My concern is with snow closing the road. Beautiful drive though.

ann
    Terrence wrote:
    Has anyone begun organizing rental cars and car pooling? I'm checking rates and finding between $275 to $325 for an economy size car. Not my favorite size for travel, but from what I read taking on the Going To The Sun Road in anything bigger is asking for trouble. The added cost of a bigger car is also a consideration.

Has anyone driven the Sun Road before? Are the warnings about size of car accurate or hype?

If anyone is organizing, I am flying in to Kalispell on Sept. 24, arriving at 11PM local time. I'd like to hit the road early on Sept. 25 and spend most of the day on the Sun Road, getting in to St. Mary in late afternoon.

I have a 7:00AM flight out of Kalispell on Sept. 30 (thank you Priceline), so I am likely going to rent the car and I'm happy to take anyone back with early flights that day.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2007
    anyone interested in flying in to Billings, MT. Its about 6.5 hours to glacier, but the ticket price is about $200 cheaper than any other locale. Splitting rental car fees would be nice. deal.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2007
    You may very well end up spending $200 on gas driving 6.5 hours each way :D
    Terrence

My photos

• Options
    edited June 26, 2007
    I think I'm done doing research on rental cars. It looks like Avis is the best price so far at about $325 for the week, renting out of Kalispell. I am definitely renting because I have a 7AM flight out on 9/30 and doubt anyone else is fool enough to leave as early as I am with a 2+ hour drive across the park.

I get in late on 9/24 (11PM if all works out) and plan to head out of Kalispell between 9AM and 10AM and spend most of the day on the Going To The Sun road.

I'm happy to take on passengers and work out a share price on the rental. PM me if interested.
    Terrence

My photos

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 13, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    I will be flying into San Fran and probably spending the week prior to the shootout at SmugMug HQ.

I'm interested in car pooling :D
    finally got my act together, I am flying into Seattle and catching the Amtrak with greenpea and his mate

thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2007
    Im going to bite the bullet and just fly into Kalispell. When are others arriving here, or even in a spot where I might be able to catch a ride. I would hate to rent a car solo just to go 30 something miles.

Let me know via PM if you can help me out. clap.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    digital_gopherdigital_gopher Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Here is my flight info. Flying into Kalispell from Minneapolis.

Ariving via NWA into Kalispell on Monday, Sept 24th at 1:15 pm.
    Departing Kalispell Sunday, Sept 30th at 2:00 pm.

My Dad is also attending the shoot out this year and has the same flights.

Jeremy
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2007
    I get in to Kalispell really late and leave really early.

Arrive: Sept. 24, 11:00PM
    Depart: Sept. 30, 7:00AM

I want to hit the road by 10AM on Sept. 25 and spend a good few hours driving the Going To The Sun Road. According to Google Maps, that's about an 82 mile drive.

I've already reserved a car. Should have room for 3 more. I rented a compact to keep costs low, so fitting luggage may be a trick.

Also...what hotels are people staying at in Kalispell?
    Terrence

My photos

• Options
    edited July 14, 2007
    I was planning to come in on the 25th but may be persuaded to come in a day earlier to meet up with you Terrence. I'll let you know.
    ====My Gear=====
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    finally got my act together, I am flying into Seattle and catching the Amtrak with greenpea and his mate

thumb.gif

Out of curiousity, how are you doing the Amtrak?

I recall looking at Amtrak, but not being able to find anything...
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    Bendr wrote:
    Out of curiousity, how are you doing the Amtrak?

I recall looking at Amtrak, but not being able to find anything...

devbobo, a buddy of mine and I are all taking Amtrak from Seattle to East Glacier Park (30 min. South of St. Mary). We arrive at 10 AM on September 25th.

This is the Amtrak route that goes from Seattle to Chicago via East Glacier Park.

This is the story.

$82 one way from Seattle to East Glacier Park, tickets purchased on amtrak.com.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    I'm arriving in Kalispell at approx 1:05PM, 24 Sep and departing approx 7:20AM, 1 Oct.

I am planning to rent a car. I would be more than happy to hang around the airport waiting for others so as to car-pool to the hotel.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    Going to the Sun Road Closure
    Watch this site and be prepared - the road is scheduled for closure mid September.

ann
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Watch this site and be prepared - the road is scheduled for closure mid September.

ann

I'll keep an eye out. The guide I bought says the road is typically open through mid-October. Fingers-crossed.
    Terrence

My photos

• Options
    edited July 15, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    devbobo, a buddy of mine and I are all taking Amtrak from Seattle to East Glacier Park (30 min. South of St. Mary). We arrive at 10 AM on September 25th.

This is the Amtrak route that goes from Seattle to Chicago via East Glacier Park.

This is the story.

$82 one way from Seattle to East Glacier Park, tickets purchased on amtrak.com.

I see, that must be why I didn't see it, I was looking in the totally wrong direction, I live near the colfax station of the California Zephyr line, and was looking at it.

I just rode it to Utah about a month ago, and from my experience, It's an awesome ride! But I did run into the problem that it didn't stay on schedule. It was scheduled to arrive at 5 or 6 in the morning, instead, it didn't arrive until around 9 or 10 o'clock if I remember correctly.

Nonetheless, If you've got the time, it's totally worth it, an excellent experience!
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:

ann

Good advice. The roads in the park suffered major damage in November of 2006. They had something like 8 inches of rain in one night, and a lot of the snow melted and washed out the roads and trails. My wife and I were there on the day Going to the Sun opened (July 1st). It is definately rougher than when we were there last year. However, they have done some amazing work in getting everything open.

I think the park service is scheduled to continue repairs to the road in mid September, which is why it may be closed.

James
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    Bendr wrote:
    I see, that must be why I didn't see it, I was looking in the totally wrong direction, I live near the colfax station of the California Zephyr line, and was looking at it.

I just rode it to Utah about a month ago, and from my experience, It's an awesome ride! But I did run into the problem that it didn't stay on schedule. It was scheduled to arrive at 5 or 6 in the morning, instead, it didn't arrive until around 9 or 10 o'clock if I remember correctly.

Nonetheless, If you've got the time, it's totally worth it, an excellent experience!
    A few years ago I did the Coast Starlight from LA to Seattle (30 hours). After that I was hooked, I would take the train everywhere it didn't take so long.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2007
    Anyone want to share a room if I came into Kalispell a day earlier? They have some cheapie $50 a night dealies. I dont snore. :D Just ask dragon or Gluwater they can vouch. :D
    ====My Gear=====
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    I know that a few people are coming from the bay area. Have you made travel plans yet?
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    aktse wrote:
    I know that a few people are coming from the bay area. Have you made travel plans yet?

This is Beth (sizam's wife) and we're coming along with a friend from Mt. View. We're going early and flying into Bozeman and going to Yellowstone for a few days then driving up and flying out of Kallispell afterwards.
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2007
    I'm coming from Colfax, CA and am planning on driving there, I'm considering making some stops on the way back...

Ben
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2007
    aktse wrote:

I havent booked a ticket yet but I could hitch a ride with you all. Where would I fly into? And when is everyone leaving?
    ====My Gear=====
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    cwphotos wrote:
    I havent booked a ticket yet but I could hitch a ride with you all. Where would I fly into? And when is everyone leaving?

I haven't figured out when I'm gettin there yet or figured out rides/rentals cars, but I will try and leave when Sizam leaves (Kallispell on Alaska Airlines at 4:10 that Sunday). I've been finding people, but they're doing some sort of a pre-trip before the big shootout.

Anyone coming in from the bay area via airplane? :-)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    UPDATED CAR THREAD

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=609439#post609439

Please go there and post details.