Optimum photo size

asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
edited October 31, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I am customising my site. Making it sleeker and updating pictures I really want to have seen.

I want the image to be as full as possible for archive reasons too ( as a safety). However I am seeing a compromise may have to be struck.

I am down loading my JPegs at approx 4.5 MB. the upload time is slow, I can live with that, But.....I am concerned that as the pictures are scanned in the galley it takes a sec or two to settle (it does that fuzzy to in focus thing). The originals are also woppingly HUGE and no viewer will have the time or inclination to wait for that to download.

What is a good, clear proffessional, fast and big if you like it, file size to upload to smugmug.

Direct me to any thread I may have missed as you wish. thanks guys.
where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com

Comments

• CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    The resized (non-original size) images in the galleries will be the same size and take just as long to load if you upload a 2 megabyte or 7 megabyte file. If you, or anyone who visits your site, is ever going to order prints then upload the original filesize! If you don't mind the upload time, the there is no other reason not to do it.
    thumb.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    asamuel wrote:

What is a good, clear proffessional, fast and big if you like it, file size to upload to smugmug.

From your camera, and saved in Photoshop at JPG10. That's what I recommend.