Options

Hockey Game, need some advice

blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
edited December 24, 2004 in Technique
I'm getting to shoot a local hockey team tomorrow night. They are putting me in the VIP seats which is right next to the rink. I'll be shooting with my DRebel and 70-200L f/4. Don't have anything smaller Av other then my 50 1.8 and it won't be to fesable to shoot the longer shots.

I'll be shooting in RAW. Won't be able to use the flash either.
What advice can you give me? ISO? etc.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    I'm getting to shoot a local hockey team tomorrow night. They are putting me in the VIP seats which is right next to the rink. I'll be shooting with my DRebel and 70-200L f/4. Don't have anything smaller Av other then my 50 1.8 and it won't be to fesable to shoot the longer shots.

you will need iso 1600 to get the max shutter speed. that's the key, shoot at the fastest possible shutter speed you can get to at f/4 and iso1600. try some at minus one ec also, that should get you even a faster shutter speed. does the dreb have ai servo? i forget - been 6 months since i owned one for about 30days :D... if yes, use it. if not, then you'll need to prefocus as much as possible.

have fun!
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2004
    andy wrote:
    you will need iso 1600 to get the max shutter speed. that's the key, shoot at the fastest possible shutter speed you can get to at f/4 and iso1600. try some at minus one ec also, that should get you even a faster shutter speed. does the dreb have ai servo? i forget - been 6 months since i owned one for about 30days :D... if yes, use it. if not, then you'll need to prefocus as much as possible.

have fun!
    Thanks Andy. The Drebel does, but only in sports mode which makes the ISO 400. No way to change either one of those. I also have a 28-105 USM lens that is able to do 3.5 Av. Not sure how well it would work for the longer distances. I'm planning on taking my 70-200L, the 50 1.8 and the 28-105 just to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004

Chances are you will be working in EV7 light. If you have a maximum aperture of f/4, then you will most likely be looking at ISO 1600 and a shutter speed of 1/125th of a second.

Like Andy mentioned, you could get away with underexposing a stop, which would let you use either ISO 800 or a shutter speed of 1/250th of a second.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    Chances are you will be working in EV7 light. If you have a maximum aperture of f/4, then you will most likely be looking at ISO 1600 and a shutter speed of 1/125th of a second.

Like Andy mentioned, you could get away with underexposing a stop, which would let you use either ISO 800 or a shutter speed of 1/250th of a second.
    Thanks Shay.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited December 23, 2004
    You don't mention if you are shooting in a well lit arena or a local rink.

Local rinks are usually poorly lit and the exposure will vary from end to
    end.

Good luck and look forward to seeing your shots!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    You don't mention if you are shooting in a well lit arena or a local rink.

Local rinks are usually poorly lit and the exposure will vary from end to
    end.

Good luck and look forward to seeing your shots!

Ian
    Not sure how well lit it will be. Its not a professional hockey team, they sre semi-pro. Kinda like Triple A for baseball.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited December 23, 2004
    The only thing I'd add to the above excellent information is, don't be afraid to use the 50mm. You won't get close ups across, or up and down, the rink, but you will get some decent shots and much better speeds. Shoot at F2 and you might get 1/500 using ISO1600 mwink.gif You also may be surprised at how much coverage you get with an 80mm FOV, in a small rink/gym.

Good luck and as others have mentioned, I look forward to seeing your results.

BTW, I shot these @200mm from the top row 3rd deck, at the opposite end on the first shot, of a Pro rink. With a prosumer, no less. You're going to be a whole lot closer to the action (like a couple of hundred feet closer).

http://www.pbase.com/slo2k/image/26790989
    http://www.pbase.com/slo2k/image/26791221

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    BTW, I shot these @200mm from the top row 3rd deck, at the opposite end on the first shot, of a Pro rink. With a prosumer, no less. You're going to be a whole lot closer to the action (like a couple of hundred feet closer).

http://www.pbase.com/slo2k/image/26790989
    http://www.pbase.com/slo2k/image/26791221

Steve
    They let you into HP Pavillion with a 200mm lens? Dang!

pst--i've skated there after the games and it's a kick in the pants!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    They let you into HP Pavillion with a 200mm lens? Dang!

pst--i've skated there after the games and it's a kick in the pants!
    Laughing.gif Ian,
    Yeah, the 200mm lens was attached to my 828. I'm not sure if I could have gotten in with a Dslr and a 70-200mm. Even with my non-white Sigma :lol

Due to the dumb rich owners and dumb rich players, I guess we'll have to wait until next year to find out :cry

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Nice. Are these crops?
    Sid,
    Yes, cropped pretty tight and hit heavily with Neat Image. I have some others in a Hockey gallery taken from much closer with a 717. I still needed Neat Image, but I did much less, if any, cropping.

http://www.pbase.com/slo2k/717_sharks

ISO800
    10130036.jpg

The only issue with the 717 was the lag. It was almost impossible to capture the "moment".

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 23, 2004
    there's a resident expert on shooting hockey here somewhere... i get to listen to her complain about the glass and light and white balance issues from the ice all the time.

HEY WINGER!!!
    wave.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    Laughing.gif Ian,
    Yeah, the 200mm lens was attached to my 828. I'm not sure if I could have gotten in with a Dslr and a 70-200mm. Even with my non-white Sigma :lol
    Steve

You know, I'm not so sure about that. I've been to college football, NBA basketball and Major League Baseball (in 2 stadiums) and at all of them I've been welcome with my big ol' camera and lenses. They search the bag, but they don't care if a camera's in it. The NBA team had a restriction on the size of the bag I could bring in (12 inches x 12 inches) but didn't seem to care what was in the bag.

I think they're happy to have enthusiastic, photo-snappy fans. This came as a big and very pleasant surprise to me. I would imagine the NHL is the same, although I don't know for sure.

I love the Sharks shot, that's great!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I love the Sharks...!
    I never knew you were such a fan, waxy. rolleyes1.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    jds,

if you are adventurous, you might try searching google, for 300d rebel tricks and tips. there are some interesting sites out there, even some tips on how to do ai servo while *not* in sport mode.

good luck
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I think they're happy to have enthusiastic, photo-snappy fans. This came as a big and very pleasant surprise to me. I would imagine the NHL is the same, although I don't know for sure.
    That'd be cool if you could get into the game with a decent camera and
    lens setup. I know some people in the front office. Maybe I'll ask and see
    if they know the scoop.

ian
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2004
    Thanks for the help guys. Check the Other shots forum. I've posted a few of the shots from tonight.