Buying equipment in Beijing?

jlg84jlg84 Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited December 18, 2006 in Cameras
Hey all! I recently moved from the DC area to Beijing (and no, I don't work for the gov't, I'm a hospital administrator) and am wondering if anyone out there knows anything about the equipment-buying scene here. I have heard that there are a couple of photo shopping centers, including one at Wukesong, and two pretty big B&H-esque stores (Zhuomei and Ruiyi), but no one I know has actually bought anything there. I am in the market for a Canon 24-105 f/1.4 L lens, but am nervous buying it at an unfamiliar store. Any thoughts?

Canon 5D Mark II / Canon 50D / 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye / 24-70mm f/2.8L / 16-35mm f/2.8L II / 70-200mm f/2.8L IS / 50mm f/1.4 / Speedlight 580 EX-II / Canon G9
http://shuanglong.smugmug.com

Comments

• BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    Mrs Bod spent a years or two in China.

Take a translator. If your going to Hong Kong they speak English and anything you buy has English instructions.
    The prices are the same in both countries but you should barter madly in either country for discount.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    jlg84 wrote:
    Hey all! I recently moved from the DC area to Beijing (and no, I don't work for the gov't, I'm a hospital administrator) and am wondering if anyone out there knows anything about the equipment-buying scene here. I have heard that there are a couple of photo shopping centers, including one at Wukesong, and two pretty big B&H-esque stores (Zhuomei and Ruiyi), but no one I know has actually bought anything there. I am in the market for a Canon 24-105 f/1.4 L lens, but am nervous buying it at an unfamiliar store. Any thoughts?

Have you posted at dpreview.com? I recall reading some posts there by folks who lived/worked in Beijing (although there is at least one other poster here who lives in Beijing). Also, those forums are more oriented towards gear than dgrin is.

When I was in Bejing last year, I did wander into a mall-type building with a lot of camera and electronics gear--but "near the fourth ring road" is probably not going to be much of a help.
  • jlg84jlg84 Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Beijing shopping
    Should have pointed out that I am a Chinese speaker and am a good barterer. I have not posted on Dpreview.com, but it's a good idea, so I'll give that a try!

Thanks.

Canon 5D Mark II / Canon 50D / 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye / 24-70mm f/2.8L / 16-35mm f/2.8L II / 70-200mm f/2.8L IS / 50mm f/1.4 / Speedlight 580 EX-II / Canon G9
    http://shuanglong.smugmug.com
  • ssjoholmssjoholm Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 18, 2006
    jlg84 wrote:

Hi, please check Antonio D'Albore's page at http://www.antoniodalbore.it/travel/ch_beijing_shop_en.shtm
    There is one store called "Jin Guang Jiao Photo Supplies" which he recommends. In the same block there are several camera shops, but this one is the biggest with the largest selection (and seemed to have the best prices as well).

Regards,
    Sebastian