106423501-L-1.jpg

And we paid a fond farewell during an emotional flag retirement ceremony

106426948-L.jpg

Thanks for looking

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,810 moderator
    edited October 30, 2006
    Good stuff! I love the removal of distractions that Scouting provides, and the opportunity for parents and their kids to interact on a really basic level.

Great images and story.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Good stuff! I love the removal of distractions that Scouting provides, and the opportunity for parents and their kids to interact on a really basic level.

Great images and story.

Thanks,

ziggy53

That's what I think. Thanks zig.

Tell me, have you ever seen 8-9 year olds get all choked up during any ceremony? Or ever? Well, let me tell you, after we retired two flags, there was not one dry eye in the house. My 9 year old couldn't even talk about it right away. Big, tough Eagle scouts were fighting back tears also. That was an awsome moment. We took all the boys aside afterward at the cracker barrel and talked about it. I'd never experienced it my whole life. These guys will take a bit of this now with them for the rest of their lives.

/ranting and raving
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    I never joined the scouts, and, as a result, never attended a weekend like the one you've documented. After viewing your photos, I feel as though I've been there. Great stuff.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2006
    Tommyboy wrote:
    I never joined the scouts, and, as a result, never attended a weekend like the one you've documented. After viewing your photos, I feel as though I've been there. Great stuff.

Cubs is alot of fun activities and crafts. Webelos Woods is usually the first opportunity a young cub scout has to "real boy scout" activities and skills. For some it's their first campout. Moving into Boy Scouts they begin to learn camping and independence skills, along with learning to take pride in teamwork and community service work.

Such a big part of scouting is doing "free" work for parks, schools and other community groups, but, unfortunately, that doesn't reach the news sources. Chances are that the walkway or handrail or cleared trails you walk along on the weekends are maintained by scouts. I know our local schools wouldn't look 1/2 as nice without the regular Eagle projects that our scouts organize while working to attain their highest rank.

/absolutely last rant wings.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,909 moderator
    edited November 4, 2006
    Scouting totally rocks!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,810 moderator
    edited November 5, 2006
    photodoug wrote:
    That's what I think. Thanks zig.

Tell me, have you ever seen 8-9 year olds get all choked up during any ceremony? Or ever? Well, let me tell you, after we retired two flags, there was not one dry eye in the house. My 9 year old couldn't even talk about it right away. Big, tough Eagle scouts were fighting back tears also. That was an awsome moment. We took all the boys aside afterward at the cracker barrel and talked about it. I'd never experienced it my whole life. These guys will take a bit of this now with them for the rest of their lives.

/ranting and raving

Sorry, I missed this reply.

I haven't seen that type of emotion, but out BS Troop is sponsored by a local American Legion Post, and the flag retirements used to be held on their property.

I say "used to be" because some stupid individuals turned them in for "flag burning" one time, and two American Legion officials were arrested, believe it or not. Of course they were summarily released, but we hold the actual retirement on remote private property now, away from public scrutiny. Sad indeed.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Sorry, I missed this reply.

I haven't seen that type of emotion, but out BS Troop is sponsored by a local American Legion Post, and the flag retirements used to be held on their property.

I say "used to be" because some stupid individuals turned them in for "flag burning" one time, and two American Legion officials were arrested, believe it or not. Of course they were summarily released, but we hold the actual retirement on remote private property now, away from public scrutiny. Sad indeed.

ziggy53
    Funny how vocal humans like to be about things they know absolutely nothing about.

For scouting enthusiasts, I put together a photo show on the same event. It's too long....10 minutes....but the soundtrack is by Jimmy. Some leaders renamed this year's event Webelos Woodstock, so we handed out tie-dyed tshirts. Here's the link to the video on Google