Problem With Reds

xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
edited October 31, 2006 in Finishing School
I am having a problem with bright reds in editing. In short the photo below on my monitor the bright red is just on the edge of being blown out to over blown, in the prints of 8 x 12 they are a little darker and seem right. But when I go larger than 8 x 12 they start to get blown out again. Any comments welcomed.
106712381-L.jpg
xtnomad :wink

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Soft proofing?
    xtnomad wrote:
    I am having a problem with bright reds in editing. In short the photo below on my monitor the bright red is just on the edge of being blown out to over blown, in the prints of 8 x 12 they are a little darker and seem right. But when I go larger than 8 x 12 they start to get blown out again. Any comments welcomed.

First, is your monitor calibrated with a hardware-based calibration system?

Second, have you tried using "soft proofing" with the right printer profile in Photoshop to see what the printer/paper is capable of and whether your image exceeds that? If they are less vivid on the photo paper, it's probably because your image exceeds what the printer/paper is capable of so the print driver is translating your image colors into something that can be rendered on the printer. If you want the screen and print to match, you will need to reduce the reds in the image to fit within the range of the printer/paper.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question