Options

The Crookedest Street In The World

dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
edited December 23, 2004 in Holy Macro
From what I've been told, Lombard St. in San Francisco is the crookedest street in the world. I don't have any data to back this up, but it sure sounds cool. Besides being very crooked, its also very steep and lined with very expensive homes. There is a steady stream of tourists at all hours of the day.

I've been wanting to do this shot since I moved out here over a year ago, but never got around to it. Tonight I was bored, so I set my sites on the landmark.

This is my best image from tonight, but I'm not happy with the white Lexus in the driveway. I guess I'll have to keep this spot on my list and try again another day.

13076090-L.jpg

Any comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks for looking,
Dave

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    Very cool......... thumb.gif
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    Fanatastic!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    i've tried this shot 4x and have not been nearly as successful. bring mr. white lexus a six pack of pilsener urquell, and ask him to drive around the block for 15 minutes :D

clap.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited December 23, 2004
    Nice one!

I have often thought about that shot from the bottom looking up the
    street. But during the day. Night would be good too.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    CMasterCMaster Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    I hope one day I'll be that picky about a picture I take rolleyes1.gif

Seriously, excellent shot!
    -- Paul (pmack.smugmug.com)
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    Great streaks and exposure, kappster. I don't like how the curves are kinda flattened and squashed - sorta takes away from the "crookedest" thing. Dunno what the best vantage point would be - from someone's overlooking window?

They must get awfully sick and tired of the traffic.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    There's a another crooked street in SF
    We stumbled on it accidently several years ago. I've been meaning to go back and photograph Vermont Street, but it's not nearly as well groomed or photogenic.

I like the lighting you have here, and agree about that white car in the driveway! Probably a real bother to clone out, though you could consider doing that.

What does it look like at night from the bottom?

Here's a quote from a website: http://www.mistersf.com/high/index.html?highvermont09.htm

"While tourists and postcard photographers prefer the centrally located Lombard Street, there's another crooked road in the City that's actually crookeder, if you want to get into an argument about bends per yard divided by percentage of grade times angle. Mister SF prefers to avoid arguments altogether and calls both Lombard Street and Vermont Street (between 20th and 22nd in Potrero Hill) San Francisco's crookedest streets. Vermont Street and adjacent McKinley Park have even better views than Lombard, if you can believe it. Though Vermont is without the formal gardens of Lombard, it boasts amazing crooked trees! To find the so-called real crookedest street by car, drive south on Van Ness Avenue, which becomes South Van Ness. Turn left on 16th Street, right on Rhode Island and climb the hill. Turn right on 20th Street, then left on Vermont. Enjoy!"

There are several photos posted so you can see what it looks like. As I said, not nearly as photogenic as Lombard... mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i've tried this shot 4x and have not been nearly as successful. bring mr. white lexus a six pack of pilsener urquell, and ask him to drive around the block for 15 minutes :D

clap.gif

Thats a great idea. Last night I was trying to think of a good way to ask the guy to move his car....I should have thought of beer. Beer always works. 11doh.gif
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Nice one!

I have often thought about that shot from the bottom looking up the
    street. But during the day. Night would be good too.

Ian

I tried shooting from the bottom last night, but the headlights were just too much. I didn't like the image at all. I think the bottom shooting up would be best during the day. You just to clone out some power lines.

Just a warning to anyone that tries this. If you've got all your gear & start at the top, DRIVE to the bottom because walking back up is no fun. I had to sherpa my gear all the way up the hill. I must have looked like a pack mule going up the hill.

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    Dee wrote:
    We stumbled on it accidently several years ago. I've been meaning to go back and photograph Vermont Street, but it's not nearly as well groomed or photogenic.

I like the lighting you have here, and agree about that white car in the driveway! Probably a real bother to clone out, though you could consider doing that.

What does it look like at night from the bottom?

Here's a quote from a website: http://www.mistersf.com/high/index.html?highvermont09.htm

"While tourists and postcard photographers prefer the centrally located Lombard Street, there's another crooked road in the City that's actually crookeder, if you want to get into an argument about bends per yard divided by percentage of grade times angle. Mister SF prefers to avoid arguments altogether and calls both Lombard Street and Vermont Street (between 20th and 22nd in Potrero Hill) San Francisco's crookedest streets. Vermont Street and adjacent McKinley Park have even better views than Lombard, if you can believe it. Though Vermont is without the formal gardens of Lombard, it boasts amazing crooked trees! To find the so-called real crookedest street by car, drive south on Van Ness Avenue, which becomes South Van Ness. Turn left on 16th Street, right on Rhode Island and climb the hill. Turn right on 20th Street, then left on Vermont. Enjoy!"

There are several photos posted so you can see what it looks like. As I said, not nearly as photogenic as Lombard... mwink.gif

Thanks for the link Dee. Your right tho, that place is not quite as finished as Lombard. You can see nice asphalt patches on the vermont pictures while Lombard is brick :D

I will have to go check it out just to say I've been there.

Dave