My first time shooting soccer

BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
edited October 31, 2006 in Sports
106794987-O.jpg

106794949-O.jpg

Not so happy with the results, but I had to shoot at ISO 800 just to get some light, it was a late afternoon game and raining/hailing out. Not sure what settings I should use. I used TV and M mode at 1000/F4-F5.6 with a 70-200 IS L 2.8 and 1.4xTC

Comments

• windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    from my experience and from what I read and from listening to others.....
    once you start to get into the afternoon... you really need that f/2.8 ( plus you really want to isolate your subjects ) . Most of my better shots are of 1/1600 or faster. while its true that i shoot with a f/2.8 lens... im not suggesting you buy a 300 f/2.8 but since you have a 70-200 f/2.8.... dont use the TC and position yourself behind the goal as best as you can....you'll get some great VERY SHARP images. One other thing, i dont know what camera you use but, i use the 20d and get less OOF images using the "sports mode".... if you are using a higher end cam, use Av ( AI servo ) and swith the "shutter lock" to the back dial.... thats what those " who know" keep telling me to do....

windoze
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Well, it's your first time, so it's going to take some practice to get really good results. Shooting ISO 800 should not be a problem at all - it's pretty common to have to use it. Of the two shots, #2 is more interesting. Framing is pretty good as is the timing. Focus is a bit off though - but, again, thhat will get better with more practice.

1st shot is also soft and lacks an interesting subject IMO. Obviously a shot on goal, but you don't see the goal, and there really isn't a clear subject well focused so my eye tends to wander around the frame in search of something to focus on.

Overall, pretty good for not having shot the sport before. With some more practice you should get some amazing shots.
  • BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    I use a 1D mark 2

I am not familiar with the shutter lock feature you are talking about though.

As for not using the TC, Wouldn't that make many of my shots have to be REALLY cropped down in order to use them? I had to crop shots as it is with the TC on.
  • klmclaughlinklmclaughlin Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    BBones wrote:
    ....As for not using the TC, Wouldn't that make many of my shots have to be REALLY cropped down in order to use them? I had to crop shots as it is with the TC on.

I also use a 70-200 2.8, but I don't have the TC. I have been dreaming about getting a 300mm f/2.8, but as an amateur, cannot justify the cost right now. I would like to hear more about your experience with the TC, and whether you (and others) consider it to be a cheaper alternative, or whether it is a waste of time/money until I can afford to buy that 300mm bad boy! I am trying to understand fully the effect of the TC on the aperture and focus speed, and whether I would be able to even consider shooting night games through a TC. Right now, I've been cranking my ISO and am still not happy with what I'm getting at night games on poorly lit youth fields. ne_nau.gif

As for using the 200mm, you mostly have to just wait for the action to come to your side of the field, I think. Bummer. I've been marginally successful for daytime games in reaching to the far touchline and cropping the heck out of the shot.

By the way, I like your second shot....the cute redheaded boy. clap.gif I would crop it even tighter.
    Enjoying the process of learning.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    A couple thoughts on 200mm with and without TC.

First, no you're not going to be able to use a TC at night unless you have an amazing field - most of the fields around me require 3200 at 2.8 to get necessary shutter speeds.

In general I've found 200mm lens is good for about 25 yards of reach while still maintaining quality sharpness. 300mm good for about 40 and 400mm out to about 50 or so. This is on a Canon 20d (1.6x crop) This is in general and I will occasionally get a sharp image beyond these guidelines. But I've found them to be the working limits of the focal ranges.

As to 300mm - I also could not justify the cost of the Canon 300mm 2.8 plus the cost of an additional body for a 2nd shorter lens. So I have the Sigma 120-300 2.8. It's better than a 70-200 plus TC but not quite as good as the Canon 300 2.8 prime. Not surprising since the cost of the lens is directly between those two options. It allows me to shoot night games at 2.8 - something the TC option won't allow. The Canon 300mm prime is still the best option out there but the Sigma 120-300 is the best alternative to that option. And, I can use just a single body.
  • klmclaughlinklmclaughlin Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    John, Thank you for your reply. Me thinks I'll be saving my money and not go for a TC!

I shoot with a Nikon D200, so I'll start looking into non-Nikor alternatives. I had read that there were some software incompatibility issues with some of the other lenses and the D200, particularly with the Sigma lens. Meanwhile, I'll keep prowling the used equipment sites for a Nikon 300mm f/2.8.

Until then, I just have to be more patient, wait for the shots, and try to enjoy the games.
    Enjoying the process of learning.