Name and price this lens

Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
edited November 1, 2006 in Cameras
Seen at a local sports game - please name and estimate the purchase price of this lens fitted to the Canon camera. :barb

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nzphotopro1/284542358/

Comments

• AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Sask2005 wrote:
    Seen at a local sports game - please name and estimate the purchase price of this lens fitted to the Canon camera. wings.gif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nzphotopro1/284542358/

looks like a 300 f2.8 to me, but I'm not a canonist :)
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 31, 2006
    Too big for a 300 f2.8.

I'd guess a 400 f2.8 Not long enough for a 500 f4.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited October 31, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Too big for a 300 f2.8.

Sure?

Well, why not, but 400's pretty big, too… at least we know this is a big lens :D
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited October 31, 2006
    I'm guessing the EF 400mm, f4DO, with ET-120 lens hood. (The hood is all we can see, and it's the same hood as the EF 300mm, f2.8L-IS, so I'm mostly trying to be different. Only the lens hoods ET-120 and ET-160 appear to have this color scheme.) I'm guessing the photographer is of small stature.

canoc448301_x190.jpg

If so, that lens is around $5300 USD.

The lens Pathfinder mentioned is around $6600, and the one Antoine mentioned is around $3900.

What do we win if we're right? mwink.gif

Bruce, are you stalking Catto again?

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Too big for a 300 f2.8.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I've only played with the 300/2.8IS personally & that hood looks about the same, but the lens seems a bit too long for the 300.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    :nah looks like a Canon 200 f/1.8 to me thumb.gif
    and the price? About $4K pristine, mabye $4.5K
    edited October 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    :nah looks like a Canon 200 f/1.8 to me thumb.gif

nice piece of gear, indeed :)
    ef_200_18l_usm.jpg
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:

ziggy53
    lol3.giflol3
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • CattoCatto Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Not me...
    ziggy53 wrote:

Nah, that's Marty, he's a local freelance sports photographer. But a good one! (And no, he's not that tall. Sorry Marty!)

I'm not going to rule it out, but I only know of two 200mm f/1.8 lenses in Wellington; so unless he's borrowed one of those - which is possible - I'm thinking it would be either the 300 or 400 mentioned above.

That being the case, I'm not going to speculate on cost; but you can usually find NZ prices on Canon gear at http://www.progear.co.nz/...
    R

p.s. you could have just asked him! He was, after all, standing right there when you took the picture...
    Robert Catto, Photographer
    Seatoun, Wellington New Zealand
    http://www.catto.co.nz
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Catto wrote:
    you could have just asked him! He was, after all, standing right there when you took the picture...

That was my thought....Why didn't you just ask him??

I am shy quite person in public...but still I can go ask another photog what he is shooting and why.....most I have run into really like to talk about their gear, especially when your gear is not as "pro" as far as they are concerned.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Ziggy53 and Catto
    Stalking who - no - Wellington is so small we just end up at the same events all the time.

One extremely good photography I met once told me to [FONT=&quot]imamate the people with the best cameras, look at their photos and learn from their expertise. However a us$5K lens is a little out of my budget right now. Shame.

Actually I think Robert Catto's photograpy is great and some of his shots are incredible. clap.gif

[/FONT]
  • CattoCatto Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Lens ID
    Catto wrote:
    ...I'm thinking it would be either the 300 or 400 mentioned above.

Actually, looking more closely, see how much white tube space there is between his hand and the tripod / monopod mount of the lens? I'm going to say this is the 300/2.8 - with a 1.4x or 2x teleconverter on it. Anyone like to second that nomination?
    R
    Robert Catto, Photographer
    Seatoun, Wellington New Zealand
    http://www.catto.co.nz
  • Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Because the guy was busy, running up and down the field and I didn't want to interupt his work.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 31, 2006
    Because the diameter of the 400 f2.8 IS is 6.4 inches, and the diameter of the 400 f4 DO and the 300 f2.8 IS are both 5 inches, I still favor the 400 f2.8 IS Lthumb.gif

That is a very large lens hood.

Bigger than the 300f2.8 and the 400 f4 DO, I believe (which use the same lens hood as Ziggy said.)
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Sask2005 wrote:
    Stalking who - no - Wellington is so small we just end up at the same events all the time.

One extremely good photography I met once told me to [FONT=&quot]imamate the people with the best cameras, look at their photos and learn from their expertise. However a us$5K lens is a little out of my budget right now. Shame.

Actually I think Robert Catto's photograpy is great and some of his shots are incredible. clap.gif

[/FONT]

I've had a 200mm 1.8 for a few years now and it's a great lens. I don't recognise the tripod ring connection as that of the 200. A 1.4 or 2 seems to be fitted.

No more production so your looking second hand.

I'm with you on 'Catto's' photography....

I'm also struggling to keep a whole host of joke's and comments to myself...

wings.gif
    Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited November 1, 2006
    Sask2005 wrote:
    ..[FONT=&quot].

[/FONT]

Good to hear it and I quite agree.thumb.gif

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums