Shutter release cables for 30D?

mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
edited November 3, 2006 in Cameras
I've been looking for a shutter release cable for my new 30D. What are people using for this?

I've done some searching and I found the Canon Remote Switch RS60 E3 and the Canon RS-80N3 Remote Switch, but neither of them say specifically that they work with a 30D. I'm not sure what kind of compatibility these things would have across models

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 31, 2006
    I'm using an El Cheapo ebay model: Adidt M1 (made in china) that i picked up for less than $20 with shipping. No frills but it works great for now. The only things it does are trigger the sutter and allow you to lock the shutter down for continous firing (nice for lightning). I'm sure it's lifespan is limited but it's a piece I was likely to lose or break anyway so when it dies I'll buy another.
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    The TC-80N3 (with timer, etc) and RS-80n3 (plain switch) or LC-5 Wireless controller all work with the 30D (20D). The problem with other switches is they do not have the type of snap-in plug the 30D/20D take.

The RS60E3 has the wrong kind of plug on it.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Thanks, that clears it up. The do-hickey with the timer sounds intriguing to me, although it looks like it costs more than it should.

I've come to realize that "it costs more than it should" means "welcome to photography."
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    I also have the Adidt M1 ebay special. Works just fine for what it is & far, far cheaper than Canon's.
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    I also have the Adidt M1 ebay special. Works just fine for what it is & far, far cheaper than Canon's.

Me too. Works fine. It's like spending $40 on a Canon lens hood. Sure you could, but why not get a cheap one? Works the same.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    Gosh, I went at this all backwards, not be a tripod user, just a "wanna" be, sometimes.

I have a cheap tripod (120.00) and an expensive 30D shutter release (50.00).

I should have asked, smile!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.