More Critique wanted! 4 images

fcorin13fcorin13 Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
edited November 1, 2006 in People
I also had a Senior Portrait session this past weekend. We did mostly outside portraits. He was pretty shy, but since I know him pretty well, I think he relaxed into it! I have some trouble with "guy" poses so any advice in that particular area would be much appreciated!
106931345-S.jpg
106931021-S.jpg
106931447-S.jpg
I think the focus is a little off on this next one, but I really liked the look. I might try some sharpening later.
106931540-S.jpg

Comments

• JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    I think he looks most natural and relaxed in #3. His posture and expression in #4 looks a little more closed off, plus the tree trunk behind his shoulder is a bit distracting.
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Nice photo shoot i liked 3rd the most clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    I think the 3rd is the best......I personally do not think guys do well with resting their head on their hand.....but that is MY opinion.

The 4th would have been nice had it been in focus and maybe not a smile for that one. I like serious shots sometimes.

Overall great job! Have fun!

Heather
  • ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    I don't so much like the first one - the pose seems unnatural and there's a lot of dead space around his head. BUT, 2, 3 and 4 are all awesome, IMO. I like how they're all very different in feeling: 2 is more playful, I bet his girl would love it. 3 makes him look very propper and polite, I bet his grandmother would display it proudly. #4 is more tough/cool and I bet it's HIS favorite. Nice work.

Fred.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    fcorin13 wrote:
    I also had a Senior Portrait session this past weekend. We did mostly outside portraits. He was pretty shy, but since I know him pretty well, I think he relaxed into it! I have some trouble with "guy" poses so any advice in that particular area would be much appreciated!

I think the focus is a little off on this next one, but I really liked the look. I might try some sharpening later.

I do think the first one would have been the best (pose & light) if you hadn't cut his arm (poor guy :D ).

Others… well, to me, they just look like unassured posed photos: as you hadn't taken time enough to fix the pose. But that's just an opinion. ne_nau.gif
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    AntoineD wrote:
    I do think the first one would have been the best (pose & light) if you hadn't cut his arm (poor guy :D ).

Others… well, to me, they just look like unassured posed photos: as you hadn't taken time enough to fix the pose. But that's just an opinion. ne_nau.gif
    Antoine - maybe a language issue. Can you explain in more detail what you mean by your terms "unassured posed photos" and "fix the pose". I'm not criticizing, I really want to learn what you mean by these terms. Thanks.
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Antoine - maybe a language issue. Can you explain in more detail what you mean by your terms "unassured posed photos" and "fix the pose". I'm not criticizing, I really want to learn what you mean by these terms. Thanks.

Sure, guess I've typed way too fast :D

About the pose: I meant it's like… he's trying to get the same pose as he've seen somewhere. He seems not to know very well what to with his arms or so.

So, when I wrote "fix the pose", I trully meant fcorin13 could try not to assign any pose. Instead, tell him to pose as he wants, then modify it step by step.

Well, this is my own method, and I understand people may not do so.
    Yet, in that case, I think it could make this young feel more comfortable. thumb.gif I mean it: there are some good ideas in those pictures :)

Last thing: my own trick is to consider each portrait I shot as an exercise. This way, I obliged myself to some simple rules, such as: do not ever think about cropping later, check the focus on the eyes, and then I add some more about where the subject should be looking at and, most of all: which "role" he's playing. Seniors may love that last one :D

Gosh, I wrote much! :D 'hope I spoke well :D

I also hope my comments are not taken the wrong way ne_nau.gif , I know 'Truth' don't like them… rolleyes1.gif
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    large people look best looking up, as in you being on step higher than he and take a picture looking down on him. 3/4 turn makes them look better as well. coloring looks fine, and you're right - the focus was/is off.

nice job,

RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4