Options

New Foveon/Polaroid point and shoot

aj2aj2 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited February 10, 2004 in Cameras
Today's New York Times had an article about a $399 upcoming Polaroid digital with the Foveon chip. While this rates as a 4.5 megapixel camera, foveon has three color sensors per pixel, and thus is supposed to be effectively higher resolution/better color reproduction than normal CCD's.

I don't know anything about this, but I've been interested in Foveon's concept, and it's nice to see it reaching consumer level products, unfortunately I just picked up a new point and shoot about a month ago, so I'm out of the market...

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2004
    Fascinating. I'll find that article online. If I find it I believe I'll be able to forward it to anyone who's interested.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    aj2aj2 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Fascinating. I'll find that article online. If I find it I believe I'll be able to forward it to anyone who's interested.
    It doesn't say a whole lot about this particular camera, but there were a couple of pretty good diagrams explaining the difference between foveon and the regular ccd. Previous reviews of the foveon technology have been pretty good, so I'm expecting a pretty good camera, but who knows? And I won't be gettin gone anyway...
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2004
    Polaroid isn't exactly the first brand that comes to mind when I think "digicam."
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited February 10, 2004
    The Foveon web site has info on both the Pola'roid and the chip itself.
    http://www.foveon.com/. Look for the gallery.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Polaroid isn't exactly the first brand that comes to mind when I think "digicam."

Yet another old world company struggling to find a foothold in the new world. Who knows, maybe they'll come up with another winner by pursuing unconventional technology? ne_nau.gif Glad someone else is playing with Foveon, it sounds like such a good idea.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au