French Soldiers - 1768

seneca77seneca77 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited November 1, 2006 in People
These were taken at Fort Louisbourg in Nova Scotia during a recent trip. The fort is "protected" by re-enactment soldiers, who will occasionally challenge visitors in French, and not let them pass without the proper response (all in fun, of course).

Critiques and comments welcome. TIA.

- Bob

102330677-L.jpg

107045847-L.jpg

107045354-L-1.jpg

107045608-L-1.jpg
- Bob
Tampa Bay, FL

www.seneca77.smugmug.com

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    That looks like a ton of fun.

I dare say that even though it was a gray day, you could get some more pop out of those images.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    seneca77 wrote:
    107045847-L.jpg

this shot needs to be cropped. NOW.
    once you do that, you should boost the exposure and contrast. this shot has some good potential.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 31, 2006
    binghott wrote:
    this shot needs to be cropped. NOW.
    once you do that, you should boost the exposure and contrast. this shot has some good potential.
    I agree, the sky adds nothing. Great facial expression.

I love shooting re-enactors and historical displays.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • seneca77seneca77 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Thanks!
    Thanks for the comments so far, guys. You're right about cropping the soldier tighter and losing the sky. Will work on it and re-post, but I really, really have to go to bed now.
    - Bob
    Tampa Bay, FL

www.seneca77.smugmug.com
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Nice pictures and nice name!thumb.gif
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    The Fortress of Louisbourg!(Must correct you on calling her a boy) Hoho! Golly, I live but 30 minutes away but haven't been there for so long except for this last Canada Day when admission was free.
    Even still I think that drummer is a boyfriend of one of my friends. One of the only people hired on that can't speak both French and English. All he has to do is drum after all.
    The cloudy weather always hangs over Louisbourg, it's so close to the sea. While other parts of Cape Breton Island that day were cloudfree and perfect Louisbourg was cold and damp. It adds so nicely to that atmosphere- and pictures aren't always marred by the harsh daylight. I'll share two of my pictures I have from that day.
    Sorry if they're grainy but they are the only ones I could get right now since I am at school and not on my own computer.
    I hope you had fun!
    About your pictures, I agree that the second could really pop if you put a little more time into it. I'd love to see some more!
    Ashley

imagew2.aspx?i=87970874&c=2768981&z=0&v=os8bhb7hnovwqmcark6hjshs05oniyilmlwuvplb8bpxkiqmdnip7ivsfipifpllmhi4vkogx6ktfiezimagew2.aspx?i=87970876&c=2768981&z=0&v=os8bhb7hnovwqmcark6hjshs05oniyilmlwuvplb8bpxkiqmdnip7ivsfipifpllmhi4vkogx6ktfiez

Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    That does look like fun, never thought about trying to shoot a re-enactment before. The fort adds a tremendous amount of atmosphere to the shots.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au