Snowboarding, anyone?

camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
edited November 2, 2006 in People
My studio is on the 4th floor - the first floor houses a large snowboard/skateboard shop. We borrowed a board on a whim :-)

snowboard.jpg

Comments

• photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    I can do paypal for that board....thumb.gif
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    that wall is very distracting.
  • camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    binghott wrote:
    that wall is very distracting.

You think? Interestingly, just about every client I've had in the past few weeks has insisted on shooting in front of it, and the two commercial shoots I've done, the commissioning client wanted stuff done in front of it as well.

I find it interesting, but also see the distracting elements - yet I can't argue when clients ask for it.

Got a theory?
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    People get so easily distructed these days. headscratch.gif It is almost as every photograph should be a whitegoods product catalogue shot - just the item gentle haze of a shade added at the most.

Great shot. I prefer skiing to snowboarding (I'm old) never the less the slopes look great!bowdown.gif Snowboarding and skiing is a lifestyle and it is a colourful one.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 1, 2006
    I dig that wall. Keep it and keep shooting in front of it.
  • ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    I think the background works especially well for an extreme sports related shoot. What would really kick it up is a more rock-n-roll looking model. You could get this one to look like more of a rock chick with some more eye makeup, washable hair dye, fake nose ring, washable tatoo, that sort of thing. You could also get her to hold the board with her other hand so we miss the diamond ring. Or, you could go the aspen look (maybe better for blondie here) and give her some goggles or a snow hat/boots. All this just ideas to make the whole thing a bit more cohesive, no criticizm intended, I like the shot.

Fred.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    cambler wrote:
    You think? Interestingly, just about every client I've had in the past few weeks has insisted on shooting in front of it, and the two commercial shoots I've done, the commissioning client wanted stuff done in front of it as well.

I find it interesting, but also see the distracting elements - yet I can't argue when clients ask for it.

Got a theory?

Hi, the shot's nice ;)

I might have a "theory" about that disturbing yet undisturbing wall :D
    Guess you could tell the model to step a little forward from the wall, then maybe slighty lit the model from behind in order to separate here from the wall, but just a littlerolleyes1.gif Well, I guess ne_nau.gif
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    FWIW, I also like the wall. I think Antoine has a point in that it might improve an already great shot (I think this is one of your best shots) if the wall was a little more OOF.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    FWIW, I also like the wall. I think Antoine has a point in that it might improve an already great shot (I think this is one of your best shots) if the wall was a little more OOF.

That was my thought too. In that shot it looks like she is leaning against the wall which doesn't work for me. Putting some space between the model wall would visually make it an abstract background rather than a painted wall which IMO would improve it.
  • camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    LiquidAir wrote:
    That was my thought too. In that shot it looks like she is leaning against the wall which doesn't work for me. Putting some space between the model wall would visually make it an abstract background rather than a painted wall which IMO would improve it.

I can do that. I'll try that next time I'm shooting in front of the wall and we can compare.
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    "the wall" mwink.gif

dun dun dun.

sorry I don't have anything to contribute that hasn't been said already... :P
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    cambler wrote:
    I can do that. I'll try that next time I'm shooting in front of the wall and we can compare.

…then come back here :p

If it's another thread, I'm pretty sure I'll miss it :D:D
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?