UT Basketball

UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
edited November 1, 2006 in Sports
Tonight I got to shoot my first basketball game ever! It was pretty crazy being on the floor with the players (made me feel really small) and I had a great time shooting.

One thing I couldn't get is right is my exposure :huh I was shooting with a 70-200 2.8, D50 at ISO 800 and 200th SS. My pictures were still coming out a little dark. What do you suggest to get better exposure (keep in mind ISO 1600 is unusable for my purpose).

Let me know what you think (btw, I was stuck shooting on the opposite side than my editor, so I got all the good plays with the players backs to me :cry)

107053078-M.jpg

107055971-M.jpg

107056430-M.jpg

107058670-M.jpg

107059754-M.jpg

107060346-M.jpg

107061755-M.jpg

Any imput is welcome! Thanks for looking! :ivar

Comments

• ThrobbingV8ThrobbingV8 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    nice
    Hey well done!!!clap.gif

Sometime it's hard to shoot BB as the lighting in doors is not always great. However you did a great job with what you had to worl with. Have you tried ajusting the levels in Photoshop? That might pull them out enough.

Cheers:D
    A day with out photography and motorsport is a wasted day !!!
    :click :ian
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gifclap.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Captn14Captn14 Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    I also think these are very good...I hope I can just get close to these...But I will be in a high school gym and
    not a college arena....I don't think I have much hope...

Great stuff !!

Rod

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    better exposure
    First, very good job for first time.

As to exposure - well there's no trick you have 2 choices: higher ISO or brighter lens.

You've stated you can't use a higher ISO so your only other choice is to use a prime. 85mm 1.8 is a popular choice for shooting basketball.
  • UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Thanks for all the comments! I have put the pictures through PS and adjusted the levels a little bit (maybe I should do a bit more). I really had a blast shooting the game (and we killed the other team wings.gif).

I've been drooling over the 85 1.4 but I don't have $1,000 laying arround, the 1.8 may be possible, but even then funds are a little low (college can get expensive). I hope my photo editor likes the shots and lets me shoot some more!

Also, there was a photographer there who was strobbing, one of my shots came out way over exposed. Is it possible I caught her flash? If so, that's kind of cool! mwink.gif
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited November 1, 2006
    UT Scott wrote:
    Thanks for all the comments! I have put the pictures through PS and adjusted the levels a little bit (maybe I should do a bit more). I really had a blast shooting the game (and we killed the other team wings.gif).

I've been drooling over the 85 1.4 but I don't have $1,000 laying arround, the 1.8 may be possible, but even then funds are a little low (college can get expensive). I hope my photo editor likes the shots and lets me shoot some more!

Also, there was a photographer there who was strobbing, one of my shots came out way over exposed. Is it possible I caught her flash? If so, that's kind of cool! mwink.gif

Hey UT,
    Ya dun good thumb.gifthumb.gif F2.8 is borderline. Good thing you were shooting in a major college gym. I usually have to use F2 @ISO1600 to shoot B-ball.

I would strongly urge you to pick up the 85 F1.8. It will give you 1.33 more stops. Which should really help your speeds (min 1/400) and exposure. Plus, it will blur those fans in the BG much better.

As mentioned, levels and some color correction (too red and yellow) and these aren't bad at all. clap.gif

I spent like 30 seconds on this one.
    original.jpg

I'd also recommend that you use RAW. Easier to correct wb and exposure. I don't know how others feel about this. But with indoor (high ISO) sports shorts, post processing can be half the job, IMO.

Yeah, strobers will nail you every now and then. But the strobe duration is so short, it will only mess up a few shots. If that.

Good luck on future shoots and tell your editor that he needs to supply you with an 85mm F1.8. The F1.4 might be nice too. But if it's like the Canon version, the AF speed is much slower than the F1.8. Not good for sports.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    WOW, your edit job is amazing! Was that just using levels and colour corection?

I'll try to talk the paper into getting us a Nikon 85 1.8, most of photographers shoot nikon, the school has nikon glass, but the editor shoots canon, so it may take some convincing.

Thanks again!
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited November 1, 2006
    Thanks Scott :D

A levels layer, using the brightest spot on the white uniform as my white dropper point. Color Balance layer, taking down the high, mid and shadow yellows and reds (+6 blue and cyan). Then I used an Action called "Fill Flash". You can find it here Also USM (.2, 360%, 0)

You need to play with this Action before it gets easy to use. Basically, you need to adjust opacity to taste after tha action has run. Then Layer>Flatten>Select>All>Edit>Copy, close the Fill flash version (hit the X), Edit>Paste. Then you will need a layer mask Layer>Layer Mask>Reveal All. Using the brush tool, with black background selected and opacity at 15%, paint over the really bright spots until you are satisfied.

Sorry for all the words, but this action is very cool. Hopefully my instructions will make it easier for you to use.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero