Auto Racing

seneca77seneca77 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited November 1, 2006 in Sports
First off, I ask your indulgence...these were scanned from 35mm prints so the quality is less than stellar. All pictures were taken with a Nikon FM - the camera I cut my teeth on - fully manual, nothing automatic about it, and a basic light meter.

This is a top fuel dragster blowing an engine at the 2001 Gator Nationals in Gainesville, Florida. You can see in the lower left the professional photographers standing trackside. On the Nikon I was using a 75-150mm with a 2x TC. Cleaned these up in PS as best I could after the scan.
107062432-L.jpg

Same event, this time a funny car doing its starting line burnout.
107062460-L.jpg

Now, going way back to 1980, these two were taken when I worked as a writer at an auto racing newspaper in upstate New York. These were taken between the third and fourth turns at Canandaigua Speedway, a 3/8 mile dirt track. Pictured here are dirt modifieds, and I was standing about ten feet from the edge of the track, panning my heart out (and feeling more than a little nervous since there was no barrier between the track and the infield).
107062503-L.jpg

107062481-L.jpg

Again, please forgive the quality of the scans.

I attend a lot of dirt track racing, but am a little worried about how my 300D would handle all the dust. I never worried about the ole' Nikon - it was covered in mud by the end of the night after the above races. Some of the mud even made it inside the housing, but after a professional cleaning it was good as new.

Cheers!
- Bob
Tampa Bay, FL

www.seneca77.smugmug.com

Comments

• ThrobbingV8ThrobbingV8 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Dust
    Get yourself some aquatech covers for your gear, they are not cheap but how much is a new camera?

Cheers:D
    A day with out photography and motorsport is a wasted day !!!
    :click :ian