Height of Header

Patrick B CoxPatrick B Cox Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited November 2, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Is there a way to shorten the height of the header on my gallery pages? When you view my galleries in the smugmug view, you have to scroll down just a bit to see the full picture on the right, while I have some empty space at the top. I have a Power User account.

Thanks.

Comments

• Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Is there a way to shorten the height of the header on my gallery pages? When you view my galleries in the smugmug view, you have to scroll down just a bit to see the full picture on the right, while I have some empty space at the top. I have a Power User account.

Thanks.
    You can absolutely do this. Your first step is to provide us with a link to your site so we can give you proper advice thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Patrick B CoxPatrick B Cox Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 1, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    You can absolutely do this. Your first step is to provide us with a link to your site so we can give you proper advice thumb.gif

Thanks Mike. Much appreciated. I am new at website design and HTML / CSS. Here is the beginnings of my new site...

http://www.patrickbcox.smugmug.com/

Thanks again!!
    edited November 1, 2006
    Thanks Mike. Much appreciated. I am new at website design and HTML / CSS. Here is the beginnings of my new site...

http://www.patrickbcox.smugmug.com/

Thanks again!!
    Wow, that's actually a really short header. Shorter than any I've seen with people that ask this same question. What monitor resolution are you using? How exactly do you want it to look?

edited November 1, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Wow, that's actually a really short header. Shorter than any I've seen with people that ask this same question. What monitor resolution are you using? How exactly do you want it to look?

I am happy with the spacing on my home page but when you click into one of the galleries using the "smugmug" style, the very bottom of the picture on the right is cutoff. If I could raise the photo section by just 1/4 - 1/2 an inch, I could see the entire photo on the right. My screen resolution is 1024 x 768. Am I expecting too much? Will the page look bad with a shorter header? I guess I need to browse some other galleries. Maybe I should not use the smugmug style and just let people use the slideshow feature if they want to view larger versions of my images?

Thanks for your input! (Also, I want to customize more but I am brand new to this.)
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    The style pick box is consuming some of the vertical space between your header and the pictures. You can regain some of your height with the following (modify to suit your needs):

/* put smugmug stylebar at top right of page */
    #stylebar {position: absolute; top: 0px; right: 0px; text-align: right; }
    edited November 1, 2006
    pat.kane wrote:
    The style pick box is consuming some of the vertical space between your header and the pictures. You can regain some of your height with the following (modify to suit your needs):

/* put smugmug stylebar at top right of page */
    #stylebar {position: absolute; top: 0px; right: 0px; text-align: right; }

Thanks for this info. Is this CSS code? Do I use both lines or just the second? Also, where do I enter this code in the customization page? (There are many areas to enter code.)

Thanks again!
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Yes, it is CSS. Use both lines. The first is a comment so that you remember later what the 2nd line is for.

Go to Customize and find the css box, which is followed by "The Stylesheet section..." text. It goes there.

Good luck.
    edited November 2, 2006
    I am happy with the spacing on my home page but when you click into one of the galleries using the "smugmug" style, the very bottom of the picture on the right is cutoff. If I could raise the photo section by just 1/4 - 1/2 an inch, I could see the entire photo on the right. My screen resolution is 1024 x 768. Am I expecting too much? Will the page look bad with a shorter header? I guess I need to browse some other galleries. Maybe I should not use the smugmug style and just let people use the slideshow feature if they want to view larger versions of my images?

Thanks for your input! (Also, I want to customize more but I am brand new to this.)
    Did pat get you all set up? I don't think you're expecting too much. We like small headers in the galleries around these parts deal.gifthumb.gif

edited November 2, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Did pat get you all set up? I don't think you're expecting too much. We like small headers in the galleries around these parts deal.gifthumb.gif

Yes, Thanks Mike. I have a lot to learn here!