2 firsts

vulcan2912vulcan2912 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited November 4, 2006 in Holy Macro
Hi fellow dgrinners

My 1st post and also my 1st try at Digital infrared.All the pictures were shot with a modified Canon 20d and a Canon 17-40L.I've only had the chance to use the camera for an hour or so since it was converted but I'm already hooked.All the pictures are from a walk around town I had the other day.
I'm still on a bit of a steep learning curve with the pp of the pictures but i'm enjoying trying out lots of different variations.There's quite a few more variations/different pictures up on my site if anyone is interested.Any critique-good or bad-always appreciated.

106565877-L.jpg

106896010-L.jpg

106903449-L.jpg

106909034-L.jpg

106905976-L.jpg

106905521-L.jpg

106566310-L.jpg

106901825-L.jpg

Cheers
Gary
www.garyforsyth.smugmug.com

Canon 20d IR converted,30D,17-40L,100-400 isL,50 1.8 mk2,Sigma 105mm Macro,Sigma 300 F2.8,Kenko Pro 1.4x Tcon

Comments

• CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Good stuff!
    Great shots Gary! thumb.gif

Really dig the 2nd, 3rd and 6th ones. You should have a great time with the infrared.

BTW - what's the website?

Chris V.
    vulcan2912 wrote:
    Hi fellow dgrinners

My 1st post and also my 1st try at Digital infrared.All the pictures were shot with a modified Canon 20d and a Canon 17-40L.I've only had the chance to use the camera for an hour or so since it was converted but I'm already hooked.All the pictures are from a walk around town I had the other day.
    I'm still on a bit of a steep learning curve with the pp of the pictures but i'm enjoying trying out lots of different variations.There's quite a few more variations/different pictures up on my site if anyone is interested.Any critique-good or bad-always appreciated.

Cheers
    Gary
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Oh 1,3 and 6 are fantastic! Sp dreamy....But static at the same time.clap.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Welcome to the forum you will enjoy here !

Superb Irs one of the best i have seen really loved them
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    vulcan2912 wrote:
    Hi fellow dgrinners

Cheers
    Gary

Wow Gary clap.gif these are fantastic, that very first shot is a Winner :D
    This lots very impressive Gary, I'm sure your just thrilled with the results you've gotten.

So tell us a little about your Canon 20D now that it's converted.
    Does it work just the same as it did pre to the conversion?
    Notice anything not quite the same since the conversion?
    ...and last of all....... are you happy with it?

Nice Series Gary thumb.gif you did good nod.gif .... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • FabsFabs Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Very nice series, I like the first one the best!
    www.avianscapes.com

Blog at: http://web.mac.com/fabs5
    on location video clips
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    Welcome aboard Gary. I also like the first shot a lot except for that tree right in the middle. You did good on the conversions on these. Much better than the first time I tried IR.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • pug8pug8 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    These are fantastic. It looks like you're learning curve is less steep than mine, re post processing.:D
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    The first shot is great, but I actually think the last is my favorite. Awesome first post! :ivar

I love IR pictures...I'm wondering if the D80 is IR capable...guess I'll take it to Colonial Photo and find out with an IR filter.
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited November 2, 2006
    Hi Gary and a big Dgrin welcome to you. wave.gif

This is one of the best first posts I've seen in a while. IR Rocks, and yours are super. thumb.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • vulcan2912vulcan2912 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    Thanks for all the comments.

I can see that this type of photography is going to be very addictive to myself.I feel there is a real platform for individual expression with this kind of photography-especially at the post processing stage.I'm not sure if this a good thing or a bad thing but I find it interesting that subjects/scenes that I would normally consider to make bland or boring photographs can suddenly become quite interesting when using ir photography.Hopefully I won't fall into the trap of just shooting everything and anything and hoping that the fact it looks different in ir be the only good point of the photograph.
    The camera itself works exactly as it did before the ir conversion.It's great to be able to use the camera normally with normal exposures and focusing.I could imagine the filter route that most people take to be quite restrictive.I know that I've lost the use of the 20d for normal day to day use but I think it will be worth it.
    The conversion was done by Lifepixel.It took 3 weeks in total but most of that time was spent in transit between the UK and the USA.It was only actually with Lifepixel for 4 days.They recalibrate the focusing and you even get the old aa filter back.
    Re post processing-I actually found that I got more pleasing results by using the hue/saturation and colour blending modes.The widely used red/blue channel swapping method didn't quite give as pleasing results to my eyes.

Cheers
    Gary
    www.garyforsyth.smugmug.com

Canon 20d IR converted,30D,17-40L,100-400 isL,50 1.8 mk2,Sigma 105mm Macro,Sigma 300 F2.8,Kenko Pro 1.4x Tcon
  • CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    Well worth it
    Gary,

You'll find it VERY worthwhile. I had my Nikon D50 done by LifePixel and couldn't be happier.

By all means take as many pictures as you can. You'll certainly find some interesting differences, as you stated, from normal to IR. As long as you've got something in the image that will reflect the IR you should be fine. Otherwise they turn out looking like a normal B/W photo. It really works well for landscape photos and pictures of people turn out pretty cool as well.

Look forward to seeing more,
    Chris V.
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    JenW wrote:
    I'm wondering if the D80 is IR capable...
    Hey Jen, I can save you the trip and tell you that the D80 is IR receptive.
    A good way to check to see if your camera is IR capable is point a remote controll at your camera and press a button on the remote. With the button pressed, take a shot. If you see a red light in your LCD when reviewing.You know your cameracan take IR photos.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Welcome aboard Gary. I also like the first shot a lot except for that tree right in the middle. You did good on the conversions on these. Much better than the first time I tried IR.

Hey Nick....
    ....you got this thing about the Middle :skippy don't you ....... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin