Family friend photoshoot

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited November 3, 2006 in People
Now, this was an odd shoot. The lady in question and I are polar opposites and most of the shoots I do are people very similar to me. Usually they are outdoorsy, want their photos outside, are more casual. She wanted her photos inside surrounded the things she loved. Unfortunately, lighting was very poor in many cases (as you'll see in the last shot). But there was a window in front that I sat her by and was pleased with the way the shots turned out, overall. I honestly don't think she'll choose these (I have many others that I think she'll enjoy more).

Anyway, here are the ones I do like:
107195680-M.jpg
1 - this is my personal favorite from the shoot. It was SO hard to get her to relax and she finally did and I got this one.

107195702-M.jpg
2 - Another favorite, but not super favorite.

107197044-M.jpg
3 - This was more typical of the shots. While I generally do well with natural light, I'm not as adept with flashes. I do use a diffuser (Lightsphere) and it did well here compared to other shots, but it's still not great. I tried turning her head at several angles, but got glasses glare no matter what. (I expect that this is the style she'll like more.)

107195660-M.jpg
4 - And finally... the life sized singing, dancing Santa. She has a basement set up for Christmas year 'round so I felt it was appropriate to get a shot of her with Santa. Unfortunately, the lighting was atrocious! If you have ANY suggestions on how to make this a better shot, I'd LOVE to hear or even see! (Feel free to play, if you'd like.)

I'm ALWAYS open to any CC you might have!

Thanks so much for looking!

Comments

• gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    I love the first One!! now i dunno if she is blocking her eyes from the sun or she is frustatred or hard at thought. Great shot IMO. Awsome tones and contrast :D
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    gavin wrote:
    I love the first One!! now i dunno if she is blocking her eyes from the sun or she is frustatred or hard at thought. Great shot IMO. Awsome tones and contrast :D

I had been trying to get her to laugh and show me a real smile and when she did, this is what she did! Laughing.gif!

Thanks so much. This is by FAR my favorite and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one! :D
  • Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    I love the 1st one too!!

Such emotion without even seeing her eyes! I love how you can totally feel her mood....

I like the 2nd one too (almost like an interview shotmwink.gif)

Very nice, but I can definately see that this was not your style of shooting for the rest of them. But I think you did great rolling with moment!!

I just love your Natural light and outdoors-y photos!! (From other posts)

Heather
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 2, 2006
    The first one is amazing. Great emotion in that shot, nice exposure and an excellent B&W conversion.

Ilike the 2nd pic as well but it feel a little bright up top...maybe a different crop or some post manipulation could help with the background.

The pics of her with her stuff are really just snapshots. The first two are art.
    edited November 2, 2006
    I love the 1st one too!!

Such emotion without even seeing her eyes! I love how you can totally feel her mood....

I like the 2nd one too (almost like an interview shotmwink.gif)

Very nice, but I can definately see that this was not your style of shooting for the rest of them. But I think you did great rolling with moment!!

I just love your Natural light and outdoors-y photos!! (From other posts)

Heather

Thanks so much, Heather! You're so kind! And you're right - this was a tough shoot for me. I'm glad I got a few I really enjoy, but overall it wasn't my style. One good thing, though, is that this woman's daughter (who requested the shoot) was pleased with the photos! I am definitely happy about that, too. :D
    truth wrote:
    The first one is amazing. Great emotion in that shot, nice exposure and an excellent B&W conversion.

Ilike the 2nd pic as well but it feel a little bright up top...maybe a different crop or some post manipulation could help with the background.

The pics of her with her stuff are really just snapshots. The first two are art.

Thank you, Truth. I really appreciate your candor! And I completely agree - the last two are snapshots. And if you'd seen them SOOC (straight out of camera), they were even worse. Frustrating!

Thanks for your kind comments about the first two! I don't know that I see #2 as art, but I'm still pleased with it. :D
  • Mickey57Mickey57 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    It seems to be unanimous! Number 1 is my favourite as well. Had you not indicated that she was laughing, the actual mood could have been anyones guess....a wonderful shot.
    In picture 2, I love the character in her face. I suspect that everyone of those lines has an interesting story to tell. I very much enjoy these kind of photos.

Great pictures!

Dan
    Dan
    Mickey57
    edited November 3, 2006
    Mickey57 wrote:
    It seems to be unanimous! Number 1 is my favourite as well. Had you not indicated that she was laughing, the actual mood could have been anyones guess....a wonderful shot.
    In picture 2, I love the character in her face. I suspect that everyone of those lines has an interesting story to tell. I very much enjoy these kind of photos.

Great pictures!

Dan

Thank you so much! And I realize now that it's kind of neat that her mood in the first is sort of ambiguous.... Thanks for your nice comments!