77 - System; Does This Work?

davidmigldavidmigl Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited November 3, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
My line of thought on this: this is the U.S. system of transportation, and the cars drive in a systematic way on (well, at least for the most part, but I digress :D)

107048165-L.jpg

Yes, I do realize that the headlights are bluish. I really disliked the orange color of the pillars when the headlights were white. Oh, the horrors of mixing differnt color teperatures in a photo! :D

Thanks for looking!
David Migl

Comments

• DizzyDizzy Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    davidmigl wrote:
    My line of thought on this: this is the U.S. system of transportation, and the cars drive in a systematic way on (well, at least for the most part, but I digress :D)

107048165-L.jpg

Yes, I do realize that the headlights are bluish. I really disliked the orange color of the pillars when the headlights were white. Oh, the horrors of mixing differnt color teperatures in a photo! :D

Thanks for looking!
    David Migl

At first blush, this photo doesn't really say system to me. However, it has potential. I was kicking around ideas today, a bit of brainstorming, and I hit upon 'interstate system'. (don't worry, I have more ideas:D ) Perhaps if you focused more on the overpass, curvy road or something like that, system may be more apparent. Right now it looks like a good entry for the movement challenge a while back. I agree with you, the blue works. I see concrete I think blue go figure. Good luck! - dizzy
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    I dont know about the image. The pic is
    good, but does it say "system"?
    Maybe a truck or some other symbol would
    do the trick!? If I hand't read your thoughts
    I woudn't have guessed that you wanted to
    show a transportation system.

I am myself trying to find out what a system
    picture would look like, its a tuff challenge
    this time.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • davidmigldavidmigl Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Thanks for the comments - yeah, I had to stretch the interpretation a bit for "system." Unfortunately for my photography, I just had shoulder surgery and my right arm is in an immobilizer, so I won't be taking any photos for a week or two. Oh well :D, I'll just see how one of these type photos (got some more from that night) does if I don't get to shoot anything else for the contest, and just sit back and enjoy the other submissions.

David
  • DizzyDizzy Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    bummer about the shoulder...hope you get to feeling better soon.- dizzy
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    Well wishes for the shoulder David.

I don't feel "System" when I look at this. I can see how you can interpret to be "System" though.

What I really want to know is what is that white thing that is arcing behind the column to the right. Everything fits, then you have this crazy thing that looks like a styrofoam cup that got tossed out of a window and caught a crazy draft.

On a personal note: I think the blue headlights are nice! thumb.gif Especially the ones at the bend to the left of the shot. Nice lens flare.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    I don't know about the system aspect, but I do know that it looks really cool! I think the bluish tone gives it a very futuristic look. You know, the kind of thing I would expect to see in something like I, Robot.
    edited November 2, 2006
    Hmm yeah the whole "styrofoam cup" thing is, I believe, an internal reflection from my kit lens. Time to upgrade to L glass, I guess :D

Thanks for the comments everyone.

EDIT: maybe it is a reflection, maybe it isn't. You tell me. I find it kind of strange that it goes behind the pillar, like as if it were an object. Then again, it's dashed, not smooth, so it might have been a reflected turn signal. Hrmmmm might be a candidate for a reshoot sometime.....
    107405895-M.jpg
    107405901-M.jpg
  • GranitGranit Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    I know what that is....It's a flying rod... rolleyes1.gif:D
    [SIZE=-1]http://www.flyingrods.com

[/SIZE]
  • nalvareznalvarez Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    I like the photo, but was also left wondering about the connection to "system".
    edited November 2, 2006
    nalvarez wrote:
    I like the photo, but was also left wondering about the connection to "system".

Yeah; that's what I concluded from many of the responses. My question was answered; thanks guys!! :D
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    davidmigl wrote:
    Hmm yeah the whole "styrofoam cup" thing is, I believe, an internal reflection from my kit lens. Time to upgrade to L glass, I guess :D

Thanks for the comments everyone.

EDIT: maybe it is a reflection, maybe it isn't. You tell me. I find it kind of strange that it goes behind the pillar, like as if it were an object. Then again, it's dashed, not smooth, so it might have been a reflected turn signal. Hrmmmm might be a candidate for a reshoot sometime.....
    107405895-M.jpg
    107405901-M.jpg
    I love the colors in the shot. I got weird things like that when I used my XT and a 28-135 lens in night shots especially of bridges or the moon. I thought it was either my camera or the lens, but then read somewhere that having a filter like my UV filter on would make the light do funny things in long exposures. Just a thought...
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com