Halloween people

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited November 3, 2006 in People
It's been a long and good tradition (though fading a tad) to dress up for Halloween at my place of work. There are management sponsored contests, potluck, etc.
This year was no exception, and I used it as an excuse to test (again) my portable studio setup.
For technically curious: the setup consisted of a dynatran rack with a white collapsible backdrop, two Sunpacks 555Ex Auto controlled by PocketWizards. All pictures shot with Canon 30D (+ PW transmitter) and EF-S 17-85 IS USM. Full manual ISO 200, f/4.5, 1/125s. I used Sekonic ligthmeter to dial the manual flash power.

Here are a few shots. I shot in RAW and simply converted all to JPEG (I had a very busy day and didn't have time to do anything fancy).

A Pirate:

107096032-L.jpg

A Prisoner:

107095415-L.jpg

"Shaq" (guy is actually about 7', prolly 250lb or more):

107092588-L.jpg

Two Pirates:

107095750-L.jpg

The rest is here: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/2078286
Enjoy shooting your coworkers (and getting away with it:-)!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    Sorry Nik but I'm not getting anything from these shots. They all look very under exposed to me and the lighting is flat. The background you used was white I assume but here it just looks a drab grey. Maybe using one flash to blow out the white background and the other to sidelight the people would have worked better? I quickly edited one shot, what do you think? I'll remove it if you don't like it. Hope all is well.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    Nick,
    gluwater wrote:
    Sorry Nik but I'm not getting anything from these shots. They all look very under exposed to me and the lighting is flat. The background you used was white I assume but here it just looks a drab grey. Maybe using one flash to blow out the white background and the other to sidelight the people would have worked better? I quickly edited one shot, what do you think? I'll remove it if you don't like it. Hope all is well.

Thanks for looking (and for taking time to edit)!

As I mentioned above, I was (and still am) pressed for time, but my coworkers were all eager to see the pics asap. Hence no PP at all.
    However, despite of this fact, most of them were pretty much satisfied with the results. :D

I only posted those to show the costumes and the mood, not because of the photographic/artistic merit of the pictures (which all being, in fact, only posed snapshots taken with $3,500 worth of equipment:-).

Cheers! 1drink.gif
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 2, 2006
    nik-

technical aspects aside (not that I would have much to offer there anyway), these are great-

your coworkers went all out-
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    Great snapshots!
    Hey Nik...

What an excellent "snapshot" for the employees to remember their costumes by! I bet it's not too often (once a year) they get to pose in front of a seamless background and to get an ultra sharp and in focus pic of themselves...

I like the one of the two pirates standing together.
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    If it weren't for the chains and stripes I'd say the prisoner lady looks more like a saint giving a blessing (posture-wise). Love the mood in the pictures. :):
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
    edited November 3, 2006
    George,
    gefillmore wrote:
    nik-

technical aspects aside (not that I would have much to offer there anyway), these are great-

your coworkers went all out-

Thanks! thumb.gif

Many of those who didn't dress up expressed a regret after they saw the pics.. Hopefully we'll have more next year:-) :D

Cheers! 1drink.gif
    edited November 3, 2006
    Dee,
    Dee wrote:
    Hey Nik...

What an excellent "snapshot" for the employees to remember their costumes by! I bet it's not too often (once a year) they get to pose in front of a seamless background and to get an ultra sharp and in focus pic of themselves...

I like the one of the two pirates standing together.

Thank for looking:-) thumb.gif

That was my line of thoughts... Of course, there was plenty of subcompacts p&s's flashing around, but it's hard to beat the lighting (even, as Nick rightfully pointed out, not the best one). Some of the shots already are on ppl's myspaces rolleyes1.gif

I agree, pirates were great:-) :D

Cheers! 1drink.gif
    edited November 3, 2006
    Jen,
    JenW wrote:
    If it weren't for the chains and stripes I'd say the prisoner lady looks more like a saint giving a blessing (posture-wise). Love the mood in the pictures. :):

Thanks for looking! thumb.gif

She was going for "help me, I'm a poor prisoner" pose...:-)
    Maybe I had to kneel her down, as I did when I shot her together with the pirates.
    BTW, she got the prize for the best female costume :D

Cheers! 1drink.gif