Options

Help with C++ app?

wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
I've been working on a little dialog app which is written in C++ (MFC-based). The workhorse function I'm using to interface with the Smugmug API is the Windows API function UrlDownloadToFile. Unfortunately, I'm getting some strange behavior.

On the machine on which I'm writing the app, the call to UrlDownloadToFile never fails. I call it over and over, and it's fine. However, on another machine, the call succeeds the first time and then fails after that. (Placing the same URL into IE still works.)

Does anyone have any experience with this function they can share? I like it because it hides me from the issues around firewalls, proxy servers, etc. It's supposed to work in all the situations IE will work. (I know - ha ha.)

Alternatively, can anyone point me in another direction wrt sending URL requests and getting the reponse into a file or string? I'm wondering if I'm going to have to just open up a socket and learn the raw HTTP calls.

Thanks for any help. This has been especially frustrating, since I thought I was just about done, only to find the app only works on the machine it was developed on! :huh

Comments

• Options
    wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    Well, I see that the thread has been viewed a number of times. Thanks for at least looking - I guess no one else is sucker enough to use MS VC++ 2005 w/o .NET mwink.gif.

I ended up using the WinInet API wrappers and got things working across multiple Windows platforms. Still have some more features to implement, but I hope to have something released to the DGrin community soon.

-Greg