Can't get green smuggy to show in univ. uploader for the life of me

luvboatcapnluvboatcapn Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 3, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi there all...very persistent newbie here...who is finally throwing in the towel here and surrendering to the supportive masses of long-time users or support folk who might have some suggestions...

The other night I briefly felt the full rush enjoyment of Smugmug pro (i am on a trial erm here however I intend to sign up the INSTANT i can get the damn thing working again...

Hmmmmm...where to begin...I will try and briefly summarize the past couple days struggles...hopefully I haven't missed any OBVIOUS steps and have only entered this forum to make a fool of myself...

Firstly, I am on a Mac ( 20" iMac Intel 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo with 256 MB of VRAM)...

The other night I briefly had the univ. uploader applet running in Safari 2.04...no love in Firefox...

...then last night after my epiphany on Tuesday when I discovered Smugmug (yes I have been residing under a rock...errr...newish dad) tried to fire it up in Safari and no green smuggy...

I have repeatedly and in so many different combos and orders:

emptied cache, deleted smugmug cookies, deleted all cookies... reset safari...deleted safari...re-installed safari...abandoned safari...attempted with Firefox 2 (yes I downloaded the embedding plug-in and MRJ)...etc. etc. etc.

What is even weirder is it works like a charm on my 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook...so I even tried deleting my Internet plug-ins folder in Library and replaced it with the one from the Macbook via sharing...still no love or Smuggy in either:dunno FF or Safari...I am really mystified as it seems to be hitch free for so many other users...please help, advise or just console...
Thanks,
Tim

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    Hi there all...very persistent newbie here...who is finally throwing in the towel here and surrendering to the supportive masses of long-time users or support folk who might have some suggestions...

The other night I briefly felt the full rush enjoyment of Smugmug pro (i am on a trial erm here however I intend to sign up the INSTANT i can get the damn thing working again...

Hmmmmm...where to begin...I will try and briefly summarize the past couple days struggles...hopefully I haven't missed any OBVIOUS steps and have only entered this forum to make a fool of myself...

Firstly, I am on a Mac ( 20" iMac Intel 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo with 256 MB of VRAM)...

The other night I briefly had the univ. uploader applet running in Safari 2.04...no love in Firefox...

...then last night after my epiphany on Tuesday when I discovered Smugmug (yes I have been residing under a rock...errr...newish dad) tried to fire it up in Safari and no green smuggy...

I have repeatedly and in so many different combos and orders:

emptied cache, deleted smugmug cookies, deleted all cookies... reset safari...deleted safari...re-installed safari...abandoned safari...attempted with Firefox 2 (yes I downloaded the embedding plug-in and MRJ)...etc. etc. etc.

What is even weirder is it works like a charm on my 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook...so I even tried deleting my Internet plug-ins folder in Library and replaced it with the one from the Macbook via sharing...still no love or Smuggy in eitherne_nau.gif FF or Safari...I am really mystified as it seems to be hitch free for so many other users...please help, advise or just console...
    Thanks,
    Tim
    wave.gif Hi Tim, ouch, this should NOT be - it normally works like a charm in FF and Safari both, on a Mac.

Question, can you please check your prefs for both, regading java and javascript? ear.gif
  • luvboatcapnluvboatcapn Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    wave.gif Hi Tim, ouch, this should NOT be - it normally works like a charm in FF and Safari both, on a Mac.

Question, can you please check your prefs for both, regading java and javascript? ear.gif
    Hi Andy,

thanks for the quick reply...checked the prefs...everything enabled to fullest extent...if that was what you wanted to know...if not just tell me where to look further...

After further tweaking...deleting...re-installing...I'm 3/4 of the way there...on the Macbook...works like magic in Safari and FF (previously didn't in FF...not sure if I made that clear in prior post)...

On the iMac (my main production machine) I have managed to get it working in FF...some probably would say chillax now...but I have traditionally used Safari as my browser although most will say I'm nuts and I should get over myself and embrace FF (perhaps it is nostalgia as Safari once was a Mac lover's dream after the crud that IE wasrolleyes1.gif)

Anyhow...I digress...just not working on Safari on the iMac...when I click add photos in a gallery all I get is this (attached)...there is no sign of the applet certificate disclaiamer or evidence of it even attempting to load...not sure if this helps but I think we are getting close...

Tim[IMG]file:///Users/timuttley/Desktop/Picture%202.png[/IMG]
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    Hi Andy,

thanks for the quick reply...checked the prefs...everything enabled to fullest extent...if that was what you wanted to know...if not just tell me where to look further...

After further tweaking...deleting...re-installing...I'm 3/4 of the way there...on the Macbook...works like magic in Safari and FF (previously didn't in FF...not sure if I made that clear in prior post)...

On the iMac (my main production machine) I have managed to get it working in FF...some probably would say chillax now...but I have traditionally used Safari as my browser although most will say I'm nuts and I should get over myself and embrace FF (perhaps it is nostalgia as Safari once was a Mac lover's dream after the crud that IE wasrolleyes1.gif)

Anyhow...I digress...just not working on Safari on the iMac...when I click add photos in a gallery all I get is this (attached)...there is no sign of the applet certificate disclaiamer or evidence of it even attempting to load...not sure if this helps but I think we are getting close...

Tim[IMG]file:///Users/timuttley/Desktop/Picture%202.png[/IMG]
    Gotta be a Safari prefs setting. Check them all, look for something blocking applets, java, etc.

Glad it's working in FF!
  • Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    Try this
    • Close Safari
    • Goto your user home folder Library folder
    • Rename the Safari folder"Safari old"
    • Relaunch Safari
    • Try the uploader
    If this doesn't work, Then restore the old folder.

Hope this helps.
    My Photos | Use this referral code and get $5 off your first year of Smugmug! PIKZSgEQUVtu2 or just click here
    Get busy living or get busy dying
    --Stephen King