photoshop for

cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
edited November 8, 2006 in Finishing School
Dummies....the book...

Is it helpful, useful....or more honestly worth the cash???

I have my version of CS2 on it's way and figured it would be nice to have an inkling as to what I am doing when it gets here!!!

Anyone use it...

just for the record i absolutly HATE the series of books in the past just because of the D word that they use in the titles. But if it's helpful, maybe i'll get over it!
:D

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    Absolutely. Photoshop can do an awful lot. If you've never used photo software before, then some kind of primer is vital.

I've bought a couple of Dummies books, they've been very useful.

Once you get your feet wet, look for books by Scott Kelby. Easy, visual how to's for adjusting photos in photoshop.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    cdonovan wrote:
    Dummies....the book...

I have my version of CS2 on it's way and figured it would be nice to have an inkling as to what I am doing when it gets here!!!

Anyone use it...

just for the record i absolutly HATE the series of books in the past just because of the D word that they use in the titles. But if it's helpful, maybe i'll get over it!
    :D

I have this book...love it & find it really simple to follow.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited November 3, 2006
    I don't use Photoshop, but I was looking through a few of the CS2 Kelby books over at the bookstore the other day, and they all appeared to be very instructive, well thought out and easy to understand. The books made me want Photoshop. I suppose it works the other way around too.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    eek7.gif
    cdonovan wrote:
    Dummies....the book...

Anyone use it...

Dummies books tend to be a mixed bag. Too often they try to be so simple that they ignore important (but complicated) techniques. I can't speak for PS for Dummies, but I remember a PSP for Dummies edition that said something along the lines of "Masks and layers are too complicated to discuss here, and they're not very useful." eek7.gif

I also had a Red Hat Linux book that refused to discuss #BASH commands for a similar reason.ne_nau.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    gus wrote:
    I have this book...love it & find it really simple to follow.

I just love this quote from the last sentence of your review...."If , like me your not waiting by the phone for NASA to call you in for pre-flight checks... but rather to change the litter in the rats cage then this book is for you. "

That is great....the whole review is very good....but that quote had me roflmao........Then ROCKETMAN springs into my head....:D

I am one that always found the dummies books lacking for what I really needed....now I just go to my local libraires (barnes and noble or borders) with brief case paper and pencil (i never use ink always wind up scratching something out)....and take notes on what I need at the time....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• webwizardwebwizard Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    I bought CS for Dummies and felt that all it explained were the very basics about things worked. I pretty much figured that out on my own, having come from previous versions of Photoshop. I think that I need more examples of how to do things, not just a technical explanation of a feature. I ordered Scott Kelby's book this week after many praiseful reviews that I read on Amazon. I'm looking forward to getting it later this week.
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Dont touch dummies for cs2 in my opinion! the FIRST book for any photog using CS2 has to be Scott Kelby's Photographers guide to CS2! worth more than its weight in gold and ulike many CS2 books 100% relevant for a photographer.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com