Aperture 30-day trial

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited November 3, 2006 in Finishing School
I know that I am probably not the only one who struggled with the choice of using Aperture vs Lightroom, but now Apple is allowing users to try Aperture for 30 days. Looks like they needed to compete with Lightroom being free during beta development, so hopefully some Mac folks will find this useful!

http://www.apple.com/aperture/trial/

Comments

• windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    schmooo wrote:
    I know that I am probably not the only one who struggled with the choice of using Aperture vs Lightroom, but now Apple is allowing users to try Aperture for 30 days. Looks like they needed to compete with Lightroom being free during beta development, so hopefully some Mac folks will find this useful!

http://www.apple.com/aperture/trial/

you will never know how helpful this info is to me exactly right now!
    thank you very much!!!!!!!

troy
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    I went cold turkey (Lightroom to Aperture) earlier in the week, ahead of the trial version becoming available, after using Lightroom from betas 2 to 4.1. I did this on the basis that the evolution of Lightroom had been like watching paint dry and as Aperture now (in version 1.5) allows reference to images in their existing location.

After a few days of experimentation to find the optimum folder/project/album organisation to suit my needs, I'm convinced it was the right move for me. The Aperture trial option (version 1.5 only, not 1.5.1) will be very helpful to those who need to 'suck it and see', and is no doubt a response to Adobe's Lightroom beta strategy. Competition can only be a good thing.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    as Aperture now (in version 1.5) allows reference to images in their existing location.

Yesterday, at Photo Plus, both companies were touting this ability.
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yesterday, at Photo Plus, both companies were touting this ability.

I love LR, tried Aperture, but can't install as they don't send me a serial number for the trial...
    The first big no for me was that Aperture could not work on my then new iMac G5... Same deal for my new powerbook... It is one of my pet peeves, not everyone can buy a new computer every year for a new piece of software.

LR has speed issues that will only be resolved in the final version, but it has come a long way, and I love how it evolved...

Having said that, I am still waiting on the serial for Aperture trial...Does anyone know how long it normally takes before you get the serial?