2006 Airshow Favourites

vulcan2912vulcan2912 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited November 5, 2006 in Holy Macro
Hi

Not sure what section to put these in so settled on this one.
Here is a selection of a few of my favourite pictures from this years airshows visited by myself.
The fast and pointy stuff.
97557182-L-1.jpg

97563172-L.jpg

97550803-L.jpg

96699987-L.jpg

96703918-L.jpg

96705347-L.jpg

96708903-L.jpg

100269666-L.jpg

100273852-L.jpg

100294531-L.jpg

100349319-L.jpg

100455292-L.jpg

100451288-L.jpg

100454788-L.jpg

100468837-L.jpg

100475413-L.jpg

Way Way to many to choose from.I've actually ended up only choosing a few from RIAT.Not sure how these will go down on the forum but if anyone wants to see more i'll do a few more posts.

Cheers
Gary
www.garyforsyth.smugmug.com

Canon 20d IR converted,30D,17-40L,100-400 isL,50 1.8 mk2,Sigma 105mm Macro,Sigma 300 F2.8,Kenko Pro 1.4x Tcon

Comments

• Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    WOW !!! Those shots are incredible. Thanks for posting.thumb.gif
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    WOW! You have some great shots there. I prefer the ones with the sky background to the ones with ground (cars, grass, etc.)

1, 4, 6, 7, & 8 are the best of this series on my opinion.

Aaron
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    Amazing photos and power eek7.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • vulcan2912vulcan2912 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    Thanks for the comments.

A few more
    100460496-L.jpg

100464282-L.jpg

100280683-L.jpg

100313216-L.jpg

100355060-L.jpg

100353920-L.jpg

Cheers
    Gary

Canon 20d IR converted,30D,17-40L,100-400 isL,50 1.8 mk2,Sigma 105mm Macro,Sigma 300 F2.8,Kenko Pro 1.4x Tcon
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 3, 2006
    What sort of comments could we possible give you? They're all sharp enough to cut glass, exposure is dead-on, and most of the angles are stunning. bowdown.gif

My fav, simply perfect:
    100269666-S.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    vulcan2912 wrote:
    Hi
    Not sure what section to put these in so settled on this one.
    Here is a selection of a few of my favourite pictures from this years airshows visited by myself.
    The fast and pointy stuff.
    Way Way to many to choose from.I've actually ended up only choosing a few from RIAT.Not sure how these will go down on the forum but if anyone wants to see more i'll do a few more posts.
    Cheers
    Gary

WOW!!! she says it again WOW!! .... :jawdrop Gary, Gary, Gary, you got yourself some simply magnificent shots at that Airshow didn't you.

I've looked at them, and looked again, and they are so clear and sharp too.
    Are these all full frames or crops ???

Gosh I don't know which one I like best, they all look great, were you standing really close to runway? you seemed to have been in a good position to get some really cool shots Gary...... Well Done clap.gifclap.gif

Thanks for posting........ Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    vulcan2912 wrote:

100273852-L.jpg

100455292-L.jpg

100475413-L.jpg
    Gary.
    Words ? What for ? They are really gorgeous pics.
    But, flying so low is dangerous, isn't it ? eek7.gif

Am I wrong when I suppose that - to fly so low - the speed must be increased !? ne_nau.gif Or is it the idea of an ignorant ? headscratch.gif
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
    edited November 3, 2006
    Am I wrong when I suppose that - to fly so low - the speed must be increased !? ne_nau.gif Or is it the idea of an ignorant ? headscratch.gif
    thumb.gif
    What makes you think that? Aerodynamics is the same whether you are 10 or 10,000 feet off the ground.
    Erik

edited November 3, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    What makes you think that? Aerodynamics is the same whether you are 10 or 10,000 feet off the ground.

Yes. Apparently.
    There is the Einstein attraction force. Not important at this speed?
    Well, I don't know. Just an idea, wrong one, may be.
    But, are you sure !!?? :D

Let's think of extremes as I often do to understand the middle:

Suppose the plain flies 1 meter hight, assuming there are no obstacles.

It must be different from flying 10.000 m height at the same speed !

Right ?
    edited November 3, 2006
    Second thought:
    aerodynamics must not be the same at extremes.
    It just can't be.eek7.gif

The influence of the proximity of the Earth or some kind of surface, so near the plain, changes the aerodynamics.

Look at the Formula I.
    When they want to double the front car they gain speed because of the wind/aerodynamics getting very near, taking advantage of the force of the wind.
    I know it is not exactly the same situation but isn't it similar ?

Drive a car with something on top. It's different.

How about that ?
    thumb.gif
    edited November 3, 2006
    Yes. Apparently.
    There is the Einstein attraction force. Not important at this speed?
    Well, I don't know. Just an idea, wrong one, may be.
    But, are you sure !!?? :D
    I'm sure.

Antonio, a brief physics lesson, if I may. Gravitational attraction is affected by the distance between two objects - your intuition there is correct. And in fact, it varies as the square of the distance. However, the order of magnitudes is important as well. Since the earth is so massive, and the distance is measured from the center of the earth's mass, you would have to be in low earth orbit (that means very very high, spacecraft) before you would notice a considerable decrease in the earth's pull.

Tangential speed is what dictates the lift force that opposes the gravitational pull. (*obviously not just speed, angle of attack, foil design, etc... lets not get crazy)

Therefore, since all the planes seen in this thread fly well below low-earth orbit, the speed needed to keep them aloft is the same at all altitudes.

If you want to read about gravitational forces, here's a good link I found for you: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/circles/U6L3c.html

now back to our stunning photos thumb.gif
    Erik

edited November 3, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

If you want to read about gravitational forces, here's a good link I found for you: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/circles/U6L3c.html
    Much obliged.
    I must confess you are right. thumb.gif
    Now back to our stunning photos thumb.gif
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    Gary these are absolutely amazing. What length lens did you use on these? I used a 300 and 400 at the Chicago Air and Water show and found it hard to keep the planes in the frame at close distances. I love the smoke trains in #10, they look like lightning.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    TECHNICAL ALERT!!! Consider yourselves warned! :D
    Gravity really isn't the main issue here, at least not when compared to the effects of the aerodynamics of it. If you want to get technical about it a plane flying 1 meter off the ground actually requires less airspeed to remain flying. This is because of a reduction in induced drag. When flying above approx. 1 wingspan above the ground wing tip vortices are created when the high pressure air below the wing curls up around the wing and meets the low pressure air above the wing. This creates drag. When you are within that 1 wingspan area you are in what is called ground effect. By being in such close proximity to the ground it reduces the drag effect of wing tip vortices, thereby reducing the overall drag. This means that the same airspeed can produce more lift. So when you are in ground effect you can actually fly below the airplanes rated stall speed, (usually, depends on the airplane) but if you climb out of that ground effect without increasing your airspeed you will stall, and usually crash.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread or anything, but I'm a flight instructor, and anytime I see people talking aerodynamics it gets my blood pumping!! mwink.gif

But back to the pictures, I really liked all of them, but my favorite has to be the one showing the pressure area above the wing with the condensation. Amazing shot, one of those in the right place at the right time, with the right equipment and the right eye!! clap.gifclap.gif

Do you have a gallery of the rest of your shots up? Would love to see the rest!!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    Nice shooting!
    Really N-joyed them, esp. those afterburner shots....:-)thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 4, 2006
    I'll comment on all the threads. Very, very nice.

I wasn't able to get to any local show this year so these were a nice treat!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • vulcan2912vulcan2912 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    Thanks again for all the nice comments.Here are just a few more for the vapour lovers among you.

90758406-L.jpg

102374400-L.jpg

102403208-L.jpg

102412428-L.jpg

And finally-an explosion
    102409273-L.jpg

If anyone really likes this kind of thing there are 1000's more up on my website.

• RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    Wow. Just amazing. You got some REALLY nice captures!! All tack sharp, and great angles. really shows off the aircraft for what they each bring to the table.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    Gary,
    vulcan2912 wrote:
    Thanks again for all the nice comments.Here are just a few more for the vapour lovers among you.

Thank you, much appreciated!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"