Upload impossible

LLMPLLMP Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 7, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi everyone...

I signed last week to SmugMug, and until now, all I'm getting is a nerve-wrecking experience. :bash

There seems to be a problem whenever I try to upload my pics. Whether per Java or Explorer upload, or even SendToSM... nothing seems to work. It goes extreeeemely slow, and then it just stops. Jave says something like socket error or so...

The SendToSM soft works only with files around 60k, but with anything bigger (that is, almost everything else), it says "uploading" and after a loooong while responds with "Total uploaded files: 0, in 1 hour 20 min" (for example). Amazing.

I've tried uploading from other PCs and it seems fine, they go up like whooosh!, but not at home, and I have DSL, but nothing goes... :scratch

I mailed Help at SM, and asked me to perform a Line Quality test and send them the results, but no answer yet... hmmm...

Anyone had the same problem? Could something be wrong with my PC? Is it the firewall that prevents me from connecting to SM? Is it the line, which works perfectly with any other FTP/huge file uploading website? Is it me? Is it a plane? Is it a man? Nope, it's... aahh, I don't know... :dunno

Would appreciate any help. Thanks a lot in advance...

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    I mailed Help at SM, and asked me to perform a Line Quality test and send them the results, but no answer yet... hmmm...
    and we answered you :D

you have an automated spam protection program, we replied to it, so that you can authorize emails from us.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    It sure sounds like there's a connectivity problem at your home setup. Can you try the line quality test we asked about, and share the results here.

Also, you might try connecting directly to your dsl modem - no wireless, no router... let's see if that works.
  • LLMPLLMP Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 7, 2006
    OK, after mailing back and forth with the Help guys (sorry for the anti-spam replies), it seems that the Norton Internet Security is the guilty party.

I completely shut it down and tried to upload via Java... and voilà, it went smoothly. wings.gif Though, keeping Norton off for longer periods for the upload can bring indesirable side effects on the PC rolleyes1.gif

Anyone who's run into the same problem?

Thanks in advance...